OT - Handloads for Hogs?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

OT - Handloads for Hogs?

Post by Scott64A »

I have a Ruger BH in .357mag, and would like everyone's opinion on what JACKETED bullet would be good for hogs?

I really want to shoot one, but would love to take it with my pistol.
Are the 158gr JHPs gonna do it?
Would a soft point be better?

I'm talking about ranges from 10 to 50 yds.

Thoughts?

Oh yeah, cast bullets are out of the question, as I don't own the materials.tools to do it, and already have 158grJHPs and JSPs. I just plain like jacketed bullets, and there's a gun show coming up Jan 24-25th.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

DAV life member.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Hunting hog, I wouldn't shoot one with anything but a JSP or a Hardcast. I like the hole in-hole out method

Since you reload, buy some of Oregon Trails Hard Cast 158gr SWC. They ship Priority Mail and it's usually at your door in 3-4 days. If you reload stout, those things will go clear through a boar.
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

To quote my friend, "For a .357 Mag and hogs all you need do is get a fast gun trade going on a .41, .44 or .45."

However, if I were going to use a .357 Mag, I would go for the Hornady 180 grain XTP loaded to the rear crimp grove with loads for the .360 DW inside. It still isn't the best on hogs, but for a .357 it is the best I know of!

I must confess; this friend and I used the .357 on domestic hogs being put down for slaughter. It did little if any better than the .45 Colt factory loads. And I really like the .357 mag.
Pastordon
Pastordon's Blog
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. (1 Cor. 8:2)
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

I've never used a .357 on hogs but hard cast lead SWC's work best followed by JSP's in my .41 mag. I don't intend to use a hollowpoint on a razorback..on purpose anyway.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Last week I put 4 .44 Mag JSP's into three different hogs and was not impressed by their performance.

Next time I go after hogs Il'l use heavy cast bullets.
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

I would use something heavier than 158 grains. I would choose hard cast first. If I couldn't find those I would go for FMJ, then soft point, and hollow point last.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Click on the link and read the four articles.

http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/shooting.htm
Rossi Model 92 357 Mag Hog Rifle 10-30-04
Page Two 1-19-05
Page Three 8-10-05
Page Four 9-28-07

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Mannlicher
Levergunner

Post by Mannlicher »

I continue to have exellent results with the .44 Mag Speer 270 grain GDSP bullet, over a good bit of H110.
This has been my deer and hog round since 1995 or so, in my Marlin 1894S.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Here ya go Scott, This should be a decent Hawg slapper-http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=1953
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Mannlicher wrote:I continue to have exellent results with the .44 Mag Speer 270 grain GDSP bullet, over a good bit of H110.
This has been my deer and hog round since 1995 or so, in my Marlin 1894S.
I was shooting them in a 6.5 inch S&W 629 Classic.

I was disappointed with the penetration, 3 of the 4 bullets fired did not exit the hogs.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I use 158gr JSP for short range shots on hogs all the time. They make hogs dead.

If you intend to get creative with shot placement, that meaning if you think there is a chance of placing a shot anywhere except right behind the ear, I'd think about using something (not HP) in the 180gr range.

...or you could get more gun... :wink:

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Excellent suggestions, all.

Since getting another gun is out of the question, I'm going to load stout 180 or 158gr JSPs.

I could spare $9.00 for 100 bullets at the upcoming gun show, and I have almost a pound of Lilgun.

I know hogs are different from deer, but I've always liked a bullet that would trade its kinetic energy to tissue rather than air. I like them to go in, do damage and get caught just inside the skin on the opposite side. I guess the 158grJSPs would do that, but I'll use 180's to be safe.

I really don't mind letting one bleed out before going to get it. I do it all the time with deer, and haven't had one keep going after being hit in the lungs or even the liver.

Another thing: I have seen many hogs with their throats slit while hanging, is it good to bleed them out completely?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Scott64A wrote:I have seen many hogs with their throats slit while hanging, is it good to bleed them out completely?
I'm gonna say yes to that.

Bleeding them out helps cut down on the gaminess you'll find with mid-sized to large boars. Sometimes you'll need to soak the meat for a couple days to get the blood out.

Other than that, cutting the throat is just a precursor to skinning the beast.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Scott64A wrote:Excellent suggestions, all.
Another thing: I have seen many hogs with their throats slit while hanging, is it good to bleed them out completely?
“‘As for any man of the sons of Israel or some alien resident who is residing as an alien in YOUR midst who in hunting catches a wild beast or a fowl that may be eaten, he must in that case pour its blood out and cover it with dust.  For the soul of every sort of flesh is its blood by the soul in it. Consequently I said to the sons of Israel: “YOU must not eat the blood of any sort of flesh, because the soul of every sort of flesh is its blood. Anyone eating it will be cut off.
Leviticus 17:13,14
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

the last one I shot was with a K98K mauser and a 196 gr norma sp.bang- flop :lol: .
on the pork chops...I have found that filling a big bowl with ice and water and letting them sit in the frig for 1 day will draw out the blood and get rid of the gamey taste.I gave a bunch to my mom and she loved it.
I am sure that a 357 will put on down if the shot placement is good with the right bullet.where I was hunting I never had the chance on a still shot they were always moving in and out of the brush.just one more thing don't think these pigs won't come after you :D .the one I shot with the 8mm was charging me out of the brush :shock: and they have some serious tusks.
pete

you can see the game trail he was using in the pic coming in on a charge it would have been a tough shot with a revolver.
DAV life member.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Scott64A wrote:Excellent suggestions, all.

I'll relate how the hogs we have killed at the Langley Ranch were handled.

If it's a boar, the testicles are removed immediately, before any pictures or anything else.

The hogs are skinned and gutted as quickly as possible, and if it's cool enough they are allowed to hang to bleed out and cool off.

The hogs are quartered and the meat put in ice chests, with layers of ice, meat, ice, meat, etc.

We left the meat in the ice chests overnight, then sliced the chops and wrapped the shoulders and hams for the freezer.

The meat bled very little when wrapped the next morning, and bleeds very little when it's thawed out to cook.

We have not been able to tell by taste the boar meat from the sow meat, and this time didn't bother to mark it on the packaging.
Last edited by Warhawk on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

txpete wrote:the last one I shot was with a K98K mauser and a 196 gr norma sp.bang- flop :lol: .
on the pork chops...I have found that filling a big bowl with ice and water and letting them sit in the frig for 1 day will draw out the blood and get rid of the gamey taste.I gave a bunch to my mom and she loved it.
I am sure that a 357 will put on down if the shot placement is good with the right bullet.where I was hunting I never had the chance on a still shot they were always moving in and out of the brush.just one more thing don't think these pigs won't come after you :D .the one I shot with the 8mm was charging me out of the brush :shock: and they have some serious tusks.
pete

you can see the game trail he was using in the pic coming in on a charge it would have been a tough shot with a revolver.
That's a good looking red hog, those charges get your heart pumping don't they? <G>
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'd lean towards the Hornady 158 g. XTP-FP (a soft point) as it is constructed for the higher velocities of the rifle OR the 180 gr. XTP or 180 gr. Rem SJHP (which is what I'm using now). A good cast bullet (ask Junior) will do 'er, too.

I thought everyone bled them. Those we killed in CA were generally at least partially consumed the same day. Those in the know didn't kill boars or hogs over 200 lbs live weight. You might have an idea of the size as it looks walking around but experience will set you straight. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

I am excited as heck!

I got a package from L. Hunsley, (Hunter) today containing over 600 bullets for reloading in this .357mag. Only 40 of them were Norma JSPs, and I think they might work.

I'll go to the gun show and look for hard cast 170s or 180s.

This is looking like a really exciting after-deer-season tradition for me.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

-and what about those Norma 158gr jacketed flat points?

They have a brass-looking jacket that leaves a lead point exposed. How do these behave in hog tissue? Anyone know?
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

I'm planning on going on a hog hunt about the end of March and am taking my .357 carbine. I plan on using 180 grain GC Beartooth hard casts along with a double hand full ( :shock: ) of Lil Gun.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Should these 170gr LSWCs be gas-checked over 17gr Lilgun? I don't want to start fouling, now...
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

The hide shield is the problem you encounter with grown hogs as a barrier to projectiles. In addition, they are fairly tough animals to take down quickly. A buddy of mine killed one in fine shape that had a large mass under the hide on a shoulder. Being the curious type, he cut it open and found a Bear broadhead and about 3 inches of aluminum shaft. The hog's body had completely encapsulated it and he was no worse for wear (although was probably pretty grumpy for awhile). Some years ago, I shot one at 125 yds with a Marlin 45-70 and 300 gr Sierra JSP bullet. He died immediately and the bullet was a perfect mushroom under the hide on the far side - but this same shot on Bambi would have zipped right through.

When dressing the animal, it's important to get the testicles off a boar quickly and also the bladder with any urine. We wrap 'jewels and tool' in a baggie and tie off everything with a nylon cable tie so it won't leak, then remove it immediately. I also usually split the hide down belly and back - makes it much easier to peel.

Ain't much better eatin' than wild hog - tastes better than domestic in most cases cause it's "free range". Also makes great sausage combined with venison.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

How sad.

I did a little more digging and found that the wildlife management areas one can hunt for hogs are limited to the use of "small game" weapons during small game season -even if you are hog hunting.

This means .22 caliber guns or shotguns, (yeah right,) or a muzzle loader.

During deer/bear/turkey seasons, you can use any of the guns you'd use for that game animal to take a hog.
The only time you can use a rifle or handgun is on "special hog hunts" in a handful of WMAs and then only for certain dates, (i.e.: Feb 1-5th or Jan 6-9th,) and you have to wear orange.

I am dissapoited in GA's WMA hunting. It reads like tax code and even when a WMA is slap overrun with feral hogs, they adhere to the very inconvenient "seasons".
Not much incentive to pay for the use of these lands, and worse, to actually hunt them. a fellow has to drive for half a day to reach the WMAs that contain hogs, and then compete with a bunch of other guys.

Sad.