OT: Craig's List

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

OT: Craig's List

Post by GonnePhishin »

Has anyone had any experience using Craig's list in buying or selling anything? They won't sell firesticks but just about everything else. I have a SW radio I'd like to sell but have never used Craig's List.

I don't like e-bay since you have to have a paypal account and all that monkey business.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Hobie

Re: OT: Craig's List

Post by Hobie »

I have never had good luck on Craig's List. Several attempted scams. Fortunately for me I'd been trained by eBay... :roll: :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Hobie, care to elaborate on the scams?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

If you are leary of Craigslist and have equipment to sell why not look at posting to radio sights?

Found on arrl.org:

WE BUY/SELL RADIOS. #1 IN ESTATES – PROTECT YOUR INVESTMENT! http://www.recycledradio.com (603) 479-5854

WILL BUY HAM RADIO ESTATES almost anywhere. Fair and honest prices paid for complete estates. W1PE 972-288-9911 rwpeters@swbell.net

QRZ has an online swapmeet: http://forums.qrz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

I would see if there was a local club as well
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

bsaride,

thanks for the info.

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

This is very timely. My son listed his computer on Craig's List and got a bite. Turned out to be a scam. I told him to be very warey - to look for the signs like the guy offering more money, etc. This one was different than the ones that I've experienced with them in the past. This time, the guy was supposedly in the UK and wanted to send the computer to "his son". First, he did offer more money (ding) and then he sends my son an email claiming that he's made the payment to paypal. Then, I get an email from Service@paypal.com (all of the other service emails from paypal have small s's - this one's is capitalized...) The first clue that there was something wrong was it contained the phrase "Dear Costomar:" :lol: What an idiot. It went on to say that I'd received the payment but it wouldn't be released until the item had been shipped - yeah right. Now this email looked completely legit otherwise - correct logos, format, etc.

I go to my paypal account (which by the way, I created just for this sale - I hate paypal) and there's nothing there. I call them and tell them what the deal is and they check to be sure - yeah, nothing. They ask me to forward the email to spoof@paypal.com - so I did.

The other scams were both the same - I was selling minibikes. The supposed buyer says "I'll take it" - and then proceeds to send other notes to the effect that "his secretary made an error and made the check out for $5000 instead of $500" and would I mind just cashing the check and taking my payment out of it and giving the rest to "his courrier". And that he'd give me another $100 for the trouble. Yeah, right. This was the same thing twice.

Craig's list is rife with this kind of scam. Be wary - be very wary.

For payments, insist on a postal money order only or paypal and then be careful to check every email and don't click any links in the emails - go to http://www.paypal.com directly to access your account. The regular "bank checks" are now being regularly counterfeited.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I have sold quite a few items on Craig's list, had one or two scam attempts but I just try and sell locally and insist on cash.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

I wouldn't do anything on Craigs full of scams.
I guess selling isn't so bad if you know the money is there but buying is a nightmare, I don't know anyone who hasn't gotten ripped off including myself :|
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

UncleBuck wrote: They won't sell firesticks but just about everything else.
Including, apparently, allowing someone to post an add paying another person to rape his wife. The story is in the news here locally. But at least he didn't try to buy or sell a gun... :evil:
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Borregos wrote:I have sold quite a few items on Craig's list, had one or two scam attempts but I just try and sell locally and insist on cash.
+1

That's what I did recently. Pickup only and bring cash...the scams are coming from distance, so just tell them you won't ship, Pickup only. If you wanted a national market you would be better with ebay, but craigs list is easier. I won't go into the ebay rant in this thread... :evil:

Ed
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

+1 buy & sell locally for cash... Picked up a like new folding wheel chair for $50.00 for Mom to fly with.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
South of me about 100 miles, a lady answered an ad to babysit. The guy killed her........ No guns, though.. Hookers are ok, too!

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

I used CL quite a bit a few years back when it was pretty new and had fantastic results. Quick sales, no headaches. I recently used it again for the first time in years to sell a Knaack box and tools. It was a totally different experience. I had several bizarre money order scams and a bunch of loons crawling out of the woodwork demanding I ship it to them. It was insane. Thankfully I weeded out a real buyer and did the deal, but it wasn't a very fun process. I prefer the local trade-radio (tradio) or the sporting goods swap n' sell.

All these hip internet sites go through a life cycle. They start out with early adopters and expand with more media attention, reach a peak and are then overtaken by Nigerian style scammers, trolls and loons. Smaller outfits with newer software come along and siphon off the good customers. In a few short years they go from being worth billions to being worthless ghost towns. CL is headed that way, just like AOL, yahoo, myspace, etc. So is facebook.

Thankfully there is nothing less hip than leverguns, so this site is safe :D
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have sold lots of odds and ends on CL. The latest was a pair of old enamel Tidewater Oil signs that I had scrounged up. The first caller came right over and gave me $250 for 'em. :D Image
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

O.S.O.K., and everyone else.

Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't planning on shipping but only selling locally and for cash, but once again many thanks for the lowdown on CL.
If I decide to use it I will be very cautious.