Help picking a Ruger Revolver UPDATE!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Help picking a Ruger Revolver UPDATE!!

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Need help here. I had my Birdhead .32M Single Six into Ruger for repairs. They decided it was beyond repair and were going to replace it for free. Problem, the gun is no longer made. They called today and told me to pick any gun (they did state "preferably a handgun") they had listed in their catalog or on the internet.

HELP!!!! I have no idea what to get. I was wanting to pick up a .22 Single Six to match the .32M but I feel it would be a waste in this case. I reload .357 and .32M and have NO ambition to reload any other calibers.

If you could have any Ruger handgun, WHAT WOULD YOU GET? Looking for ideas..........

LK
Last edited by L_Kilkenny on Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Help picking a Ruger Revolver!!

Post by BenT »

Too bad about your 32mag. I have one and would never part with it. The coolest looking gun they make right now IMO is the polished stainless Vaquero with the Bisley grip.

What was the problem with your Ruger that they couldn't fix?
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

I agree with BenT. I recently got my hands on a Ruger Vaquero Bisley and although mine's blue instead of SS I am completely sold on the grip shape. Mine is in .45 Colt on the old model frame and it really soaks up recoil well. I wish I'd bought one a long time ago now.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

See Old #7 post on page 2, got me interested in SP101's
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I hear ya Ben on the .32M. It was the one gun I decided I would never sell. That gun just felt right. I've never handled the Bisley but I can't say I care for the looks of it. I prefer the old plow handle to the bisley frame.

They haven't been able to tell me what failed on the gun. They just say it didn't pass. It went in for a new front sight and accuracy issues. I just couldn't get groups less than 3" at 20 yards. Always had 2 flyers per cylinder. Not 3, not 1, always 2. Anyway, I can't imagine what could of been wrong that the gun had to be scraped. Barrel threads maybe?

I talked with Ruger since posting. They are gonna check with the factory and see if they have the parts to assemble a new .32M for me but they are thinkin it's doubtful. For now, I'm actually leaning towards a stainless blackhawk in .357. While I prefer the looks of the Vaquero and I don't like the looks of the front sight on the blackhawk, I do like them for shooting. Wish Ruger would make one with the Vaquero blade front and the Blackhawk adjustable rear.

I'm also trying to get Ruger to send me the stainless birdshead grip frame off the old .32M. They tell me that their policy is to destroy the whole gun but since they don't make "that gun" anymore that they may be able to make an exception. That way I would have the grip frame to put on the new gun or a future .22 Single Six. Crossing my fingers.

LK
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

From their current offering with the loading you currently do, I'd choose the bobbed-hammer, Crimson Trace, SP101 357 Mag or the long single six.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

tough choice ------ My fave Ruger is my 7.5" .45 Blackhawk. Its very accurate in the right hands --- i shoot really mild stuff in it, but the flexibility to ramp up some .44 Mag equivalent loads is nice to know. The new .44 Specia shows promise too ---- if you can shoot .357, maybe one of those would float your boat,
I was at the local candy store (gun store) yesterday, and the guy had a bird's head .45 Vaquero that was awesome too called the "Shopkeeper", but he said it had also been disco'ed
----- Doug
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I like the way Nobearsyet is thinkin and talked with my dealer to see what he would give me for trade fodder. They also have a John Wayne Special Edition that would be nice :lol: .

I really hate to give up on the .32 mag but the only current offering is with the SP101 and I have no need for one of those. Already have a Security Six and CC is not in my future.

Who woulda thunk that picking a gun would be this dang tough!

The dealer had a good point though......Picking a gun that the old Birdshead would fit on (blackhawk, vaquero, single-six) might give Ruger enough reason to send it back to me. Might make my decision for me. I really want that thing back. Picking a gun like a SP101 or Redhawk might make them less inclined.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The Bisley grip is really great. You just have to get past the looks and pay attention to the feel.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
longhair1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longhair1957 »

I really like the new "Montado" in .357
http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/defa ... ?item=5126

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I'd hate to loose one of my .32s as well!

Went over and looked through the Ruger Revolvers. If I had to choose, I like that Stainless .45 Montado.
Sure looks like a super Packin' Pistol !

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

How about one of the Flattop 357's if you want to stay with 357. If you go up in caliber, maybe a 44 special Blackhawk.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Personally I like the 45 Colt in the Ruger. I like the blued one more than the stainless because it is lighter. I keep my guns clean all the time anyway. The 45 is top left. Just my 2 cents.

"That'll Be The Day"
longhair1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longhair1957 »

I do agree if I bought a "Montado" for myself I would get the .45 .
I just was thinking if he was wanting to replace the little 32 mag that the .357 was the next up the line. :wink:
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

The Montado felt good in my hands but I already had a Colt SAA Bisley that I shoot that is similar so I talked my self out of one. They seem to be handy revolvers.

"That'll Be The Day"
Timothy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Timothy »

I'd ask them if they have any 7.5 inch 357 bisleys left in stock.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

L_Kilkenny wrote:I'm also trying to get Ruger to send me the stainless birdshead grip frame off the old .32M. They tell me that their policy is to destroy the whole gun but since they don't make "that gun" anymore that they may be able to make an exception. That way I would have the grip frame to put on the new gun or a future .22 Single Six. Crossing my fingers.
LK
The 'option' of selecting another gun is charitable, and I'd take advantage of it, but for them NOT to send you the grip frame back would infuriate me, and I'd never buy another new Ruger again. Remember - their failure to restore/repair the .32 you sent them is ALREADY a failure to honor any implied warranty on their merchandise.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

If it were me and they couldn't replace that gun, not even building one, I'd get a .32 H&R or .327 Federal SP101. :wink: Bet you could trade THAT for another like yours.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I hear ya AJMD. I bought that gun because I WANTED THAT GUN! I didn't want a .357 Blackhawk, I didn't want an SP101. I didn't want a birdshead with black grips. I wanted a .32M with the birdshead faux ivory grips. Think I'll be telling Ruger those exact same sentiments next time I talk to them. There is no reason that Ruger can't legally send me the grip frame and grips back. Makes my wife even madder. She's reasy to swear off Ruger.

Those guns have become rare as hen's teeth and have gone up in value to between $500 and $600. I don't think a .327 SP101 is gonna touch that in a trade. Maybe straight up retail vs. retail (or wholesale vs. wholesale) but not on a retail vs. wholesale trade which is the best I'm gonna get.

I JUST DON"T KNOW!!!

I will say that Montado (except I like the .357) looks nice. But it's labeled "distributor exclusive" and I don't know if Ruger can get around that. Plus, truth be known, in a lot of ways I'd rather have the adjustable sights of the Blackhawk. I can always do some polishing to match the grip frame. I shoot al sorts of loads in my guns and told myself that the .32M would be the only fixed sight gun I would eve own. Didn't know at the time that I wouldn't have it anymore.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

A Ruger Old Army, An Alaskan, a Super Redhawk, or just get up their butts about them not makling it any longer not being your problem, then demand a Ruger No. 1 in a really odd chambering, barrel length, and with your initials on it. :lol: Make 'em suffer for ruining the best handgun line ever!

edited to correct: best line of single action sixguns ever
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have thought about this for a while now, if you like the gun that much, demand the whole thing back.
I feel confident that someone other than Ruger could make it right.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger_Bisley_Hunter.htm

Check this out. I am drooling right now over it.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

If you could have any Ruger besides the one you had what would appeal?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

+1 on the John Wayne special! :D
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'd ask for one of the flattops. They seem to be pretty popular right now. I personally like the Bisley grip and personally if I was looking for one to keep I'd probably get the Bisley Hunter in 45 Colt.
Old Law Dawg
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Do they still make the "baby Vaquero"? or is it the bird's head that is important?

Cowboy47
Levergunner

Post by Cowboy47 »

A few years ago I bought two Ruger .45 Vaqueros, blued with case colored frames, 5.5" barrels and Bisely grips. Over time I have come to prefer them because of the lighter weight and the improved comfort and control one gets with the hand-filling Bisely grip and the lowered hammer spur. They point and shoot very naturally and the reduced recoil when using heavy loads makes for enjoyable shooting.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Here's a pic of what I used to have.....

Ya ask a good question Old Savage. The answer is a .22 Single Six. Other than that....nothing. Honestly there is none of their other offerings that appeal to me. I don't want or need another .357 and don't want another caliber either. I wouldn't traded the .32M Single Six for any of their offerings before and don't want to now. Won't have a choice I guess.

Narrowed my choices some:
SP101 in .327. Closest in size and weight to the .32M Single Six. Not as pretty and not worth as much IMO.
.357 Vaquaro or Blackhawk. Closest in looks and function but bigger.
Super Redhawk. Mearly trade fodder.

I'm gonna make a run to my gunshop and handle a few Rugers and see if a Vaquaro or Blackhawk will fit the bill.

BTW, I'm 99% sure that Ruger isn't making the Baby Vaquaro anymore either. If they were it would be just a good IMO.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

ooooooooooooooohhhh ----------- now i can see the dilemma :shock: You have a unique and beautiful gun unlike anything being currently made. I'm with you on the current catalog not having much to offer that is truly unique anymore. Just a bunch of "shooters" --- i was going to say reliable shooters, but if they were that, yours wouldnt be in the shop right now :x

Even the Vaquero was goofed up (in my eyes) when they made the switch back to the Colt size frame --- some of us guys do have big hands and prefer the old Vaquero frame :lol: The Vaquero was a neat, and big pistol -- now it is just another Colt clone

And dropping the birdshead grip frame from the lineup should be an un-pardonable sin
----- Doug
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

There's one like yours with black grips on Gunbroker that just started at $395. but the prices are all over. I didn't realize that they had gone up so much.

I got this consec. numbered pair right after I heard that were going to discontinue them.
They are Fun!!

jb 8)

txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

out of all my rugers this one is my fav.
accusport 45 colt w/ spare 45 acp cylinder.

2. next is my SP101 357 2 1/4.they are very accurate for a snubby and one that goes everywhere with me.

pete
DAV life member.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

L_Kilkenny wrote:Here's a pic of what I used to have.....

Ya ask a good question Old Savage. The answer is a .22 Single Six. Other than that....nothing. Honestly there is none of their other offerings that appeal to me. I don't want or need another .357 and don't want another caliber either. I wouldn't traded the .32M Single Six for any of their offerings before and don't want to now. Won't have a choice I guess.

Narrowed my choices some:
SP101 in .327. Closest in size and weight to the .32M Single Six. Not as pretty and not worth as much IMO.
.357 Vaquaro or Blackhawk. Closest in looks and function but bigger.
Super Redhawk. Mearly trade fodder.

I'm gonna make a run to my gunshop and handle a few Rugers and see if a Vaquaro or Blackhawk will fit the bill.

BTW, I'm 99% sure that Ruger isn't making the Baby Vaquaro anymore either. If they were it would be just a good IMO.
There's a Birdshead .32 at Gander Mtn. in Wichita for about $650 right now. Order the most expensive gun you can get from Ruger, then sell it and trade for what you want, plus some other stuff.

Edited to add: Be as big of a PITA to them as you can. Kick, scream, and cry like a three year old; they'll give you whatever you want just to be rid of you. And make sure you get all the options, free shipping, and make 'em pay for the transfer.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I just wanted to kick this back to the top, I want to see if Ruger can scrounge up enough parts to fix the man's gun.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Thanks for the bump there mescalero, lol. Tried calling them and left a message today. We'll see.

Still leaning towards a Super Redhawk if they can't replace the .32M. With that I have enough to get another .32M with a little left over. Still gonna work on em about the grip frame and grips. I looked at the parts list for the SIngle Six and they still list em. So if they won't send the originals back they can dang well ship me new ones with the new gun. Outta cost em about $20 in parts to do it.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

I can't even get 'em to replace the crappy grips from my birdsheads that lost a chunk out of 'em.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I'd go with the .357 Mag flat top if they have it. Or a new stainless .357 Mag Vaquero if that's your druthers.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Ruger called me back this afternoon. While nothing is confirmed it appears that an exact replacement has been ordered by the service department to the factory. The lady I talked to said that the person that does the ordering is off today therefor she can't confirm it's status. But she indicated that she has never seen a gun "on order" that wasn't available, said ordering doesn't happen till after availability has been confirmed. She still working on the grip frame. I informed here that it was a must have. She's suppose to call again Monday.

LK
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's cool!!
Hope it works out!

jb 8)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Good news glad to hear it. :D

Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

My faviorit is the New Ruger Vaquero .45 great gun. I shoot it often.
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

I guess it would help to post the photo!![imgImage][/img]
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hayre - that could be my new favorite - how is the accuracy?

Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

I've owned and shot just about all Ruger revolvers. My favorite mid power DA is the Speed Six. It's the six-shot precursor to the SP-101, based on the Security Six frame. Incredibly durable and it just gets better with age. I would pick one over any Smith for a .357. I'd pick one over a Python.

Unfortunately they don't make them anymore.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Re: Help picking a Ruger Revolver UPDATE!!

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Update: Ruger called me back today (Monday). They said that not only was the Birdshead Ruger still available but that the factory had already sent them my replacement. It's at the service center right now and should ship out (to me!) this week. However, they will not send the old grip frame from the original gun.

Now I have another question. Just tossing this out there to see what sticks. I am a shooter not a collector. There is not one gun in my locker that doesn't see action. That being said, I purchased the birdshead Ruger SIngle Six for $309 a couple years ago. It was after they had announced that it was to be discontinued. Since that time they have doubled in value and are getting hard to find. My question is, shoot this gun or let it be a safe queen? I've never thought of Rugers as being collectable. Some Rugers are but it has more do to with the age of the firearm, not the style of gun. I do like shooting the gun but I have plenty others to chose from. Shooting it will require fileing the front sight and possible other mods depending on what the trigger is like on the new gun. So it's not a simple matter of unfired vs fired. It's NIB vs. Fired and modded. I'm inclided to pull it out of the box, clean and shoot it all within 1/2 hour of getting it home. But if it does have a future value I can live without shooting it.

What say you?

LK
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Rugers are very collectible - Flat tops, original Bearcats.... need I say more?

I say if you intend to keep it and not sell it to cash in on the increased value, then by all means shoot it!

Sounds to me like this is your favorite sixgun, so again, I'd personally shoot it and not think twice about it.

I just bought a Ruger .44 Special flattop - I am sure the prices will increase on these as only 2000 total are being made for Lipseys. It's already digested over 300 rounds :D
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I hear ya OSOK. We can blame the question on a shooting buddy of mine. I told him the gun was on it's way and the *** asked me if I was gonna shoot it or hang it on the wall. Dang him anyhow. Never even crossed my mind to hang it up before he asked.

And it is my favorite gun. IMO it's very close between that and my Security Six. Either one has plus' and negatives. The wife on the other hand won't shoot anything but the .32M. She drools on it as much as I do.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

If you want to hang something on the wall get a painting.

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Old Savage wrote:If you want to hang something on the wall get a painting.
:D

I had bought the pair I have with that in mind but couldn't stand it. I'll let someone else worry about that their worth.

jb 8)

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

L_Kilkenny wrote:I hear ya OSOK. We can blame the question on a shooting buddy of mine. I told him the gun was on it's way and the *** asked me if I was gonna shoot it or hang it on the wall. Dang him anyhow. Never even crossed my mind to hang it up before he asked.

And it is my favorite gun. IMO it's very close between that and my Security Six. Either one has plus' and negatives. The wife on the other hand won't shoot anything but the .32M. She drools on it as much as I do.
Sounds to me like you know what to do :D
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!