BRAND NEW MARLIN LEVERGUN...........

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

BRAND NEW MARLIN LEVERGUN...........

Post by Jeff Quinn »

The lever is on the side now, and is used to turn a rotating bolt.

Here's the link:
http://www.gunblast.com/Marlin-XL7.htm
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jeff,

Excellent review. I really hope Marlin keeps this rifle in production longer than they did the MR-7. It looks to be a winner.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

At $326 I would be jumping on one of those :shock: .

Great value for money!
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

To me it's nothing more than a clone of all the other low cost bolt actions:

Savage's/Remington's 710/Mossberg ATR

Kind of hard to get excited over a Marlin bolt action. :cry:

Why not bring back the 22lr/22mag levergun or a mag fed 22mag semi-auto rifle, instead of filling up an already saturated market?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

meanc wrote:To me it's nothing more than a clone of all the other low cost bolt actions:

Savage's/Remington's 710/Mossberg ATR

Kind of hard to get excited over a Marlin bolt action. :cry:

Why not bring back the 22lr/22mag levergun or a mag fed 22mag semi-auto rifle, instead of filling up an already saturated market?
Well first off, the Savage and Remingtons that have the upper end adjustable triggers are NOT inexpensive guns! The accutrigger Savages run well over $400, and closer to $500! You ca buy less expensive Savage models, without the Accutrigger, but then they still aren't in the $326 retail price range!
You will have to get into a Rem. 700 to get a triggerthat equals the Accutrigger, or th new Marlin XL7 trigger, and that also is in the $500 range!
Maybe bolt actions aren't exciting to everyone, but if a guy is looking for a bolt action "clone" of the expensive models, at a whole lot less money, then I'd sure go for the XL7! I'm not looking, and I might still go for one!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I guess if all my firearms had accu-triggers it might be a bigger deal.

As it is though, I've never used one and my shooting never suffered without one.

Then again, I purchased a Mossberg Atr 30-06 for a last second hunting trip a couple of years ago at Wal-Mart for $230 out the door.

When I went to sight it in, I put the first 3 shots into less than an inch at 100yds. After I completely sighted in, I let my friend shoot it next. He put 3 into an inch as well.

So, while accu-triggers may be nice, with or without it, they're still just clones of the others and all are just as accurate as the next.

At least they are in my hands.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I hope they sell a bunch of them! Just so they keep makin levers too. :D
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

I agree that there are no earthshattering innovations in this new rifle. As stated in the review, there are features from many different guns used in the new Marlin. However, these features, for this price is news. While it is priced close to the Remington 710, it is a far superior rifle!

In real dollars, this gun is cheaper than the $99 leverguns that could be found forty years ago. A young man with little money, like the boy shown in the review, can buy this new Marlin, and it will serve him very well for the rest of his life.

Any rifleman will tell you that the trigger makes a huge difference. If it didn't, benchrest shooters would have AK-47 triggers on their 1000 yard guns. The trigger is very important to achieve the best possible accuracy, and this inexpensive Marlin has a trigger that is better than that found on most $1000 bolt guns. It is better than any Remington 700 trigger, and a lot better than the trigger on my Browning A-Bolt. It is amazing what we can get used to, but after shooting the XL7 or a Savage AccuTrigger or a Biathlon Basic, a five pound pull feels like twenty.

Nothing at all wrong with Marlin trying to get a piece of the largest segment of the centerfire rifle market. It is not like they stopped production of the 336 to build these. The XL7 is just another choice, and a good one, for someone wanting a rifle that is accurate, reliable, and easy on the budget. I like it better than many rifles costing three times the price.
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I haven't seen this rifle in person, but my one experience with the Accu-trigger made me a believer. I want one of their .22s with the Accu-trigger. I might have to get me one of those Marlins to play with.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

On December 27, 2007 Marlin was purchased by Remington Arms and the venture capital concern that owns Remington. Expect changes.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

[quote="Jeff Quinn"] While it is priced close to the Remington 710, it is a far superior rifle![quote]

That's just your opinion. Edit: Doesn't make it a fact.
ED
Yer never too old
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

Modoc ED wrote:
Jeff Quinn wrote: While it is priced close to the Remington 710, it is a far superior rifle!

That's just your opinion. Edit: Doesn't make it a fact.
My opinion has nothing to do with it. Ask any gunsmith who has ever worked on a Remington 710. The local gunsmith here has worked on many that was sold by the Wal Mart about 35 miles from here. Even the Wal Mart quit selling them, and sent back all they had left in stock, because well over half of them came back with problems. The Reminrton 700 is a fine rifle, but the 710 is not. That IS the fact, regardless of my opinion.

I stated that the new Marlin is a superior rifle. I have fired both the 710 and the XL7, and back up my statement with that fact. I wasn't aware that you had tested the XL7. If you have, I still base my findings on fact. I really doubt that you have ever touched one.
However, just to make you happy, I spoke again just now with the good folks at Remington as to why the 710 was discontinued. Guess what? They discontinued it because it was not "up to Remington's high standards", and went on to explain that there were some problems with the rifles.

I am not here to dog anyone's product. I try to find something good about every gun that I shoot. Marlin has produced a good rifle at a great price. Why do you have to find something wrong with that?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If we were talking Remington 700, I might have to agree with you Modoc Ed, but I've not heard a whole lot of good about the 710 Rem. so far.
I'll put my 700VSF up against anything made today, but we're talking apples and oranges with a 700 vs. a 710. My 700VSF will shoot dime sized groups at 100 yds all day, and I love it, but I'm still planning on getting a XL7 in .243 when I can.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Jeff what calibers are they going to be available in ? Is there a long action and short action versions?
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

As Jeff writes in the review, the "LIST" price is $326. The "STREET" price could likely be lower than that making this rifle an even sweeter deal.

I wouldn't even need to try one to know I would buy one over the "Entry Level" rifles from one of the other companies. I am fully convinced that if there was a problem with it, Marlin would make it right. That confidence gives it the edge in my book.

I hope my confidence in Marlin doesn't change with the recent business transaction.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

That is a whole lot of gun for the price! Pillar Bedded, and the trigger it comes with for 326.00 When can I get one?
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Yes, what calibers will be available? I may need another 30-06 at this price....... :wink:
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Jeff Quinn wrote:I am not here to dog anyone's product. I try to find something good about every gun that I shoot. Marlin has produced a good rifle at a great price. Why do you have to find something wrong with that?
I found nothing wrong with the fact that Marlin has produced a good rifle at a great price.

I just don't think your statement that I put in quotes above should be taken by all as if it were written in stone. If it is, then there can't possibly be one person out there somewhere that is happy with their Remington Model 710.

I think it's great that an American gun maker has come out with a new product that is evidently a good product. Now if we can just get people to buy it instead of buying Sako/Tika, Binelli, CZ, and other foreign guns we will have accomplished something. If they do, then maybe Marlin and Remington won't go the way of Winchester Models 70 & 94.
ED
Yer never too old
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

Again, Sir, perhaps I wasn't clear. For that I apologise. I stated that the new Marlin XL7 was better than the Remington 710. I must have misunderstood your post. Remington makes a lot of good rifles, but the 710 is not one. In fact, that is why they no longer make it. Again, forgive me for not being clear on that.

The XL7 will at first be available in .25-06, .270 Winchester, and .30-06. They are in production now.

I do know what the dealer price is, and they should certainly sell for less than MSRP. Of course, It would not be ethical for me to post the dealer price, but even at full MSRP, the XL7 is a deal.
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Well, if they go much below $300, it is getting close to the price of a TC Encore barrel alone. I planned for a 25-06 or 264 Win mag Encore Pro-Hunter Barrel later this year. The better money may be for a new rifle.

However, the the Pro-Hunter barrel gives 28" of shooting pleasure. :D