OT:327 Mag / 32-20 Convertible Blackhawk

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mav
Levergunner 2.0

OT:327 Mag / 32-20 Convertible Blackhawk

Post by mav »

I don't want to steer YK's thread completely off course, so.... :idea:
What do you think? Instead of the Buckeye convertible 32 Mag/32-20 on the New Model frame. How about a 50th anniversary 357 sized frame with cylinders chambered for the 327 Mag and the 32 WCF? :)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT:327 Mag / 32-20 Convertible Blackhawk

Post by 6pt-sika »

I talked with a guy named Huntingdon in Cali last year about taking a 30 Carbine cylinder and reaming it out for 327 Federal and fitting it to my Buckeye Special Blckhawk that already has 32-20 and 32 MAG cylinders !

I think he told me it would be like $300-500 somewhere in there .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

That's pretty salty. If some outfit like Lipsey's or Davidson's would order a limited run, that would be the way to go. I don't know how that works but Lipsey's price for their 44 Special doesn't seem to bad.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

6pt-sika wrote:I talked with a guy named Huntingdon in Cali last year about taking a 30 Carbine cylinder and reaming it out for 327 Federal and fitting it to my Buckeye Special Blckhawk that already has 32-20 and 32 MAG cylinders !

I have the same Buckeye Conversion, and thought I might get the .32 H&R cylinder lengthened to the .327 Fed length if I got a carbine to match; right now I don't have anything else in .32 H&R anyway, so it is sort of an 'orphan' round for me. If a hand-driven reamer can be used by a relative novice to lengthen a barrel chamber (i.e. a .357 Mag to .357 Max), then I suppose it wouldn't be all that hard to lengthen the chambers in a cylinder...? I'd want to check pressure data first, of course, although the cylinder is rather 'beefy'... Sure would be cheaper than fitting another cylinder to the gun.

I've thought about getting the loading-gate-less .32 H&R Marlin, (and then just doing nothing to my SA revolver!) but since the .32-other-than-.32-20 rounds are not really something I need right now, I figure I'll wait and see what the long gun options turn out to be.

It isn't that the .32-20 lacks much of anything, but straight-wall, sturdy brass would be nice...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

mav wrote: What do you think? Instead of the Buckeye convertible 32 Mag/32-20 on the New Model frame. How about a 50th anniversary 357 sized frame with cylinders chambered for the 327 Mag and the 32 WCF? :)
That sounds very interesting! :D
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Brownells has blank cylinders, ready for fitting,chambering and timing. You could either reline that 357 barrel, or just put another barrel and sight on. Then I suppose if the 327 thing didn't work out you could always return the gun to 357.
Let us know how it turns out.
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

Mr. McDowell,
I don't have any experience doing or having done custom gunsmith work. But I did check out the blank cylinders at Brownell's. :shock: I don't think 6pt-sika's gunsmith in California is paying himself enough. :)
With the recent threads discussing the Lipsey 44 Special, the 327 Federal Magnum and the 32 caliber Buckeye convertibles, I thought the new smaller framed Blackhawk might be just the platform for the newest 32 caliber cartridge and an old favorite. I guess the trick will be convincing a Lipsey's or a Davidson's to convince Ruger to make a limited run of them. :-) Since it took 50 years for Ruger to make a smaller framed 44 special, I don't think I'll be around for the smaller framed 327 mag / 32-20 convertible. ;-)
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

I'd like to see an 8-shot (or more?) .327 Fed. Blackhawk....
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:I talked with a guy named Huntingdon in Cali last year about taking a 30 Carbine cylinder and reaming it out for 327 Federal and fitting it to my Buckeye Special Blckhawk that already has 32-20 and 32 MAG cylinders !

I have the same Buckeye Conversion, and thought I might get the .32 H&R cylinder lengthened to the .327 Fed length if I got a carbine to match; right now I don't have anything else in .32 H&R anyway, so it is sort of an 'orphan' round for me. If a hand-driven reamer can be used by a relative novice to lengthen a barrel chamber (i.e. a .357 Mag to .357 Max), then I suppose it wouldn't be all that hard to lengthen the chambers in a cylinder...? I'd want to check pressure data first, of course, although the cylinder is rather 'beefy'... Sure would be cheaper than fitting another cylinder to the gun.
I have nothing against running the chamber out in someone else's revolver but in my own I'm somewhat of a collector you might say and running out that cylinder will kill any collector value the little revolver may have had . But adding another cylinder doesn't detract from the collector value at all . Plus I'm not gonna shoot 32 MAG in a 327 cylinder !
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

6pt-sika wrote: Plus I'm not gonna shoot 32 MAG in a 327 cylinder !

why not?

people shoot 38s in .357 cylinders all the time.

i shoot 32 longs in my 32H&R revolvers all the time
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

FLINT wrote:
6pt-sika wrote: Plus I'm not gonna shoot 32 MAG in a 327 cylinder !

why not?

people shoot 38s in .357 cylinders all the time.

i shoot 32 longs in my 32H&R revolvers all the time
I realize they do and have done so myself in the past !
I just don't care to any longer .
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Same reason I got a ton of .38 Spcl ammo here and it don't get shot. I hate cleaning the fouling out of the front of the .357 chambers with a red eyed passion. So I quit shooting the .38s out of the longer chambered .357s some years ago.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

6pt-sika wrote: I have nothing against running the chamber out in someone else's revolver but in my own I'm somewhat of a collector you might say and running out that cylinder will kill any collector value the little revolver may have had . But adding another cylinder doesn't detract from the collector value at all . Plus I'm not gonna shoot 32 MAG in a 327 cylinder !
Well, I probably won't ream out my cylinder anyway, because the .32-20 really does fine for my 'needs'. It would be the easiest way to get a .327 Mag SA revolver though, and unless the .32 H&R was something I had other firearms for, it would be more practical to have two .327's, vs. one .327 and one .32 H&R. Assuming the cylinder was already timed and bore-centered, it would be far less challenging than starting from scratch - THAT would be a definite expert/gunsmith project far beyond my aspirations.

As far as 'collector' value, I would not in good conscience destroy a very rare old 'collectible' gun, but unless I plan on selling the gun later (in which case I'd leave it 'unfired, NIB'), its value to me is only as a 'shooter'. I removed the front sight on a "200th year" ruger because I didn't like it, but wasn't willing to go to the trouble of finding a buyer, selling it, and buying a 'generic' one to alter. The only impact on Ruger collectors was one less of thousands out there, and the price maybe went up a tiny bit for theirs. Now I wouldn't do that to a vintage and pristine 100-year-old gun, though! The Buckeye I regard as more equivalent to the 200th year Rugers.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

All this collection is for the bird's . I think you should shoot them . I paid $900 for pair , sold the 32HR cylinders for $200 which are useless . Punching them out to 327 mag . WHY the 32-20 blow the 327 in the weed with level 3 loads . I traded grip frames off two 45 birdshead . I have less than $400 in each gun and shoot 500 rounds a month threw them . I can sell for a lot more then if the were NEW in the box . It will take 10 years for the stock guns to catch up to what they a worth now and I get to enjoy shooting them . How many of these in the world .

Here is another collector gun that has bit the dust

Image..Image
Image......Image
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

tn gun runner wrote:All this collection is for the bird's . I think you should shoot them . I paid $900 for pair , sold the 32HR cylinders for $200 which are useless . Punching them out to 327 mag . WHY the 32-20 blow the 327 in the weed with level 3 loads . I traded grip frames off two 45 birdshead . I have less than $400 in each gun and shoot 500 rounds a month threw them . I can sell for a lot more then if the were NEW in the box . It will take 10 years for the stock guns to catch up to what they a worth now and I get to enjoy shooting them . How many of these in the world .
Everything you said is good and fine !

And also relative !

As long as YOU are paying the bill do as you wish !

But when I pay the bill I'm gonna do as I wish and not as you might say !

So if it's not a collector item to you thats fine with me ! And on top of that the more revolvers you make changes to like ones I may have make mine ever so slightly more valuable because you have slighlty lessened the amount of revolvers still as sent from the factory !
And furthermore you say "yours are worth more after your modifications" . This may be true to you but to someone like ME who collects are accumulates you're in for a rude awakening , after you've performed modifications they are pretty much 50% guns to me !

So the bottom line is I don't care what you do with yours , I just care about what I do with MINE !
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

6pt-sika wrote: And furthermore you say "yours are worth more after your modifications" . This may be true to you but to someone like ME who collects are accumulates you're in for a rude awakening , after you've performed modifications they are pretty much 50% guns to me !

So the bottom line is I don't care what you do with yours , I just care about what I do with MINE !
I guess the key word is not modification , but CUSTOM . Bowen or Horvath make custom guns and bring a premium price in the resale market . The gun in paste sold in less that 24 hrs and has no collector value .
http://singleactions.proboards.com/inde ... thread=134
The gun below is a custom gun that I made and I payed $400 for it . I have turned down $800 for it at the last match and it don't have a big custom gun makers name on it . And it is a one of a kind gun that Ruger never made in 44-40 .

Image..Image
Image......Image
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

tn gun runner wrote:
6pt-sika wrote: And furthermore you say "yours are worth more after your modifications" . This may be true to you but to someone like ME who collects are accumulates you're in for a rude awakening , after you've performed modifications they are pretty much 50% guns to me !

I guess the key word is not modification , but CUSTOM . Bowen or Horvath make custom guns and bring a premium price in the resale market . The gun in paste sold in less that 24 hrs and has no collector value .
http://singleactions.proboards.com/inde ... thread=134
The gun below is a custom gun that I made and I payed $400 for it . I have turned down $800 for it at the last match and it don't have a big custom gun makers name on it . And it is a one of a kind gun that Ruger never made in 44-40 .

For folks that are intrested in revolvers like you have certainly they will bring more !

However for folks LIKE MYSELF factory original is the more important factor !

So I suppose we are BOTH correct in our own beliefs on this subject :wink:
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I'll thow in my two cents:

I own a S&W M&P and a 4-5/8" Taylors & Co / Uberti 1873 Colt clone both in 32-20. I stoke them up a bit; both can handle hotter loads because there's a lot more meat in the cylinder and barrel walls than a 38/357 in the M&P, or 45 in the 1873. When fired over my old, trusty Oehler 33 those handloads are in the ranges of the 32 H&R and 327 Magnum. IMO, I really don't see the need for spending the $$$ for brass, dies, and cases for the 32 H&R and the 327 Magnum when I get virtually the same performance from the stoked 32-20. I can't see collecting die sets and new types of cases just for the sake of adding new but similar cartridges to my mix. JMO.

Don't forget, the 32-20 in rifle loading was the "357 Magnum" cartridge before the 357 Magnum was introduced in 1935. It was nearly as ubiquitous in the first third of the 20th century as the 357 Magnum was in the last half. Many 32-20 owners loaded their handguns hot, and those guns quite often took it because of comparatively thick chamber and barrel walls. Today, we have modern handguns and modern steels that can handle hotter 32-20 loadings with ease.

Again, JMO.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

Ease of loading aside. The consensus seems to be that the 327 mag is redundant in light of a hot loaded 32 WCF. Noah et al, what kind of case life are you getting? I normally use 4 grains of Unique behind a 115 grain cast bullet. Pretty light, I know. I don't think I've lost a case yet (8 loadings). Except for in the grass. ;-)
This guy thought the 32-20 was hotter than the 38 special. ;-)

So what do you think of the 50th anniversary 357 sized frame chambered for the 32-20?
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

I have reloaded my 32-20 brass over 15 time with no case failure and I shoot it in 3 different guns . Most my load are over 1200fps in hand gun and 1800fps in rifle

Image..Image
Image......Image
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

mav, THANK YOU I have not heard that in a coon's age, that is some great music. I have had a couple of 32-20 pistols years ago,sure would like to get another one.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15