OT:Primers ... Good Riddance

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

OT:Primers ... Good Riddance

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Well, I went to the Orlando show this weekend and got rid of my excess. There were some primers at the show, but they ran out quickly in the morning at $45/k. It was hot as all get out too down here in Central Florida.

I learned the following ...

1) The people at Federal are incompetent for using boxes that are at least 2-1/2 times bigger than everyone else's.

2) Carrying 35,000 primers causes you to bump into a lot of people in the narrow isles.

3) The quickest way to get rid of primers is to sit outside of the exit to the show hall where all of the reloading stuff usually is with a big open tote full of colorful Remington, Winchester, and those darned Federal boxes. The CCI boxes are not very flashy and should be relegated to the bottom of the pile.

I had hoped to trade for powder but there were only two of the normal people there selling powder and they had jack diddly for types. No 3031, no 4198, no W748, no H322, no Benchmark, no BLC(2) ... etc. Plenty of Unique and Hodgdon Clays types though. Also, a lot of H110 and W296. No jacketed bullets either ... lots of cast though.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT:Primers ... Good Riddance

Post by Andrew »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Plenty of Unique and Hodgdon Clays types though. Also, a lot of H110 and W296. No jacketed bullets either ... lots of cast though.
What else is there? That's all I need right there. 8)
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Just inventoried my primers... down to 2500 LP, still have 8K SP, 9KLR and 4K of MR but... down to about 1500 209s. Hopefully stocks will be up next year and prices down. May have to think about shooting the wife's .38 rifle & pistols if primers get harder to find! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Federal primers are more sensitive and much easier to set off accidentally. They're in those big stupid boxes for a reason.
Slow is just slow.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

cas wrote: SIXGUN is more sensitive and much easier to set off accidentally.
Just wait CAS---My beans, brocolli, and cabbage just came in. :D
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Griff wrote:Just inventoried my primers... down to 2500 LP, still have 8K SP, 9KLR and 4K of MR but... down to about 1500 209s. Hopefully stocks will be up next year and prices down. May have to think about shooting the wife's .38 rifle & pistols if primers get harder to find! :twisted:
Just got in from loading ammo... Grrr... 500 of those 209s turned out to be Federal 210s! LR primers I do use... but nowhere near as many as LP or SG! Oh well... I ain't out yet!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I stopped buy the local shop on Friday and they just got in 8 boxes of each of LP,SP,LR,SR and they all were from Remington . I got 1 box of LP for $26.99 . They mentioned that Remington is the only one coming throught lately.

And yes Fedral boxes take up too much room.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I agree that Federal packaging makes for headaches. They would have been much better suited IMO to have packed them 5X20 instead of 10X10. But their LR Match and SR Match are great primers.

Ed
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Every time I read this thread I keep asking myself why in the hell is RimNut Mcfirejob getting rid of primers? Has he turned into a tree hugger? Is he going feral and sharpening a stick to hunt with? Has he lost all his marbles? I just don't get it.
Not only that, he didn't offer to share any with those of us like Griff that are getting hard up for them.
Sombody 'splain this to me.

Federal primers have always been very good primers. I do like them a lot. But that huge box is a waste of materials and space. I have some older ones that are in standard sized boxes and they haven't blowed up at all. And they are a lot easier to work with. It's a real trick to get Federal primers from that huge box to the flipper try on my Lee Auto Prime tool. I usually have to dump them into something else then into the tool. PITA

Remington primers are good and fire all the powder I've used them on. Fiocchi primers are good to, except the batch I bought some years ago split around the edge of the cup and I've got little flame cuts on the breach face of several revolvers. I ended up tossing the rest of them in a burn barrel.

CCI primers are good if you have the proper springs in your guns. Otherwise you might have to try them a couple three times.

I've used Winchester the most and longest. I love 'em. Right now I'm using them only in my serious ammo or test loads. Everything else gets some other brand of primer.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

J Miller wrote:Every time I read this thread I keep asking myself why in the hell is RimNut Mcfirejob getting rid of primers? Has he turned into a tree hugger? Is he going feral and sharpening a stick to hunt with? Has he lost all his marbles? I just don't get it.
Not only that, he didn't offer to share any with those of us like Griff that are getting hard up for them.
Well, it's like this ... I wanted a couple of thousand of each type / brand. So I have 2000 CCI LR, 2000 Win LR, 2000 Fed LR, 2000 Rem LR, etc. But when I buy them, I can't stomach the Hazmat charge for just two boxes of primers. And these days, all of the primers don't show up at the same time ... the CCI are never in stock when the Federal are in stock, etc. So I was buying 5000 at a time to make the Hazmat less impactful and then selling off the balance locally so nobody pays another UPS Hazmat fee on them.

If you need primers, I have put up a topic for users on the forum about how to register with my automated tool so you can setup your own searches and get notified when they show up at various online retailers. I'm not in it for the money, or I would have probably kept the tool to myself and sold my excess up on GunBroker.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

I'm guessing you didn't have to sit out in the sun too long when you reduced your primer inventory. While you weren't in it for the money, I hope it was worth your while to go. :)
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Glad to hear you got rid of those primers. They are always getting in the way, specially those Federal primers in their huge boxes. I`d hate to hear of you breaking a leg from tripping over them!! I had to put a caution sign in my shop to make sure no one tripped over mine. :D
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
J Miller wrote:Every time I read this thread I keep asking myself why in the hell is RimNut Mcfirejob getting rid of primers? Has he turned into a tree hugger? Is he going feral and sharpening a stick to hunt with? Has he lost all his marbles? I just don't get it.
Well, it's like this ... I wanted a couple of thousand of each type / brand. So I have 2000 CCI LR, 2000 Win LR, 2000 Fed LR, 2000 Rem LR, etc. But when I buy them, I can't stomach the Hazmat charge for just two boxes of primers. And these days, all of the primers don't show up at the same time ... the CCI are never in stock when the Federal are in stock, etc. So I was buying 5000 at a time to make the Hazmat less impactful and then selling off the balance locally so nobody pays another UPS Hazmat fee on them.

If you need primers, I have put up a topic for users on the forum about how to register with my automated tool so you can setup your own searches and get notified when they show up at various online retailers. I'm not in it for the money, or I would have probably kept the tool to myself and sold my excess up on GunBroker.

Naw, I'm not hurtin for primers. I was just curious why you were getting rid of primers when every body else is crying for them. I under stand your method now.

Good job helping others out.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I don't need new primers so much as need to trade off some...

I've got 6K CCI #200 LRP (that I bought about 18 mo. ago), but they are too hard for my 100 y/o drilling. I need to second strike about 1 in 5... and about 1 in five of those need a 3rd. :?

They all go off (eventually), but I see that I really need some "softer" stuff.
(Federal?)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

OI,

What is CCI #200 LRP?

Joe
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

J Miller wrote:OI,

What is CCI #200 LRP?

Joe
Large Rifle Primer. CCI model #200.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

[quote="Rimfire McNutjob"]1) The people at Federal are incompetent for using boxes that are at least 2-1/2 times bigger than everyone else's.[quote]

Not to argue but think about this .... If you had a shipment of your primers blow a truck and it's driver to itty bitty peices you would probably want to re-think your packaging also.

Which is exactly what happened. Federal used to pack their primers in boxes just like everyone else until one sad day a shipment of them went off.

I remember it happening .. and how there were no Federal primers available for quite awhile .. and when they came back they were in these huge boxes.

It was a pretty big deal at the time. I am not sure but the feeling was that it could've been the end of Federal.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Jim, it just might have led to it. I, too remember that incident. I heard today, (range talk), that CCI's parent company bought Federal. I haven't checked out this latest rumor... but, maybe I should.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

JimT wrote:Not to argue but think about this .... If you had a shipment of your primers blow a truck and it's driver to itty bitty peices you would probably want to re-think your packaging also.
Yeah, I think I'm coming to understand that the Federal cups are made a good bit softer than other brands. Obviously, some people prefer these (OI above for instance) for reliability of ignition purposes. I can imagine that if those softer cups were combined with tight packaging and a being placed at the bottom of a pile on a bumpy ride in a UPS truck ... things could get ugly. I had never heard of that particular incident though. I assume they used to be packed in the wall-to-wall Remington style boxes.