IMR 4227 is

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

IMR 4227 is

Post by El Chivo »

an extreme powder, it should not vary significantly at hot or cold temps.

I just got off the phone with Hodgdon, and got some questions answered. They have discontinued the H4227 and have added some of its characteristics to the IMR version. I'm happy because hot weather won't affect my loads like I've been seeing with other powders.

I also got a new understanding of how to pronounce "Hodgdon", it's a soft g, sounds like "Hojdon". Of course, you guys all knew that, but I've been stumbling over it for the last year or so.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Re: IMR 4227 is

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Thanks for getting and sharing the straight skinny. I had heard a rumor that they had disco-ed H4227.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

IMR 4227 is a good powder. I've found that it is a good substitute for 5744 ...... gives identical ballistics in my guns for the same load.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

KirkD wrote:IMR 4227 is a good powder. I've found that it is a good substitute for 5744 ...... gives identical ballistics in my guns for the same load.
Hojdon? You say you have been tongue tied with it for a year. How 'bout me--close to 40 years. learn something new everyday. :D

Kirk, I chronographed a mess of 4277 (IMR) and have found it to be like you say but the variations were more extreme and was definitely more case position sensitive.-------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Greg807
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Greg807 »

A 6" .357 revolver loaded with a properly sized 173gr keith over 14.5grs of 4227 at 1250fps will take money......., period!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

My trapper 38-55 loves IMR 4227!
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

And if you shoot cast, IMR4227 will work in almost any gun. I mean I have a Hornady book that has an IMR4227 load for everything from 22Hornet up past 30-06 and 8mm Mauser. A very versatile powder for cast.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

Image..Image
Image......Image
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

tn gun runner wrote:Image

:shock: :shock: Bueatifull :D

I like 4227 too, used it in Hornet. In Hornet it gives the impression performance is down on H110 but no not really!
Has some good applications in 30/30 and i have used it in 308W.
I also had long ago a load in 243 with a Sierra 60grn hp over I think 16grn of H4227 which was a cheap rabbit popper out to 200yds or so.

N.

Oh and if you blow your gun up based on what I just said don't come a knock'in on my door! :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!