Savage 1899 Takedown (how-to)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Winjester
Levergunner 1.0

Savage 1899 Takedown (how-to)

Post by Winjester »

I came across this Savage 1899 in .250-3000 that is a take-down model. It is in pretty good shape, and the forearm releases as it should, but I am very wary of taking it down any further until I checked with you fellas. I tried to find info on how to just "take-down" it, but I couldn't find anything. I have a couple of pics of the old-timer I thought I'd share with you.
Thanks in advance!
Winjester
God Bless America!
Bear 45/70

Re: Savage 1899 Takedown (how-to)

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Take the forearm off using the little push lever then open the action slightly and unscrew the barrel.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Yep. Action's gotta be open.

I remember my Dad broght home one just like that and he was
swearin up a storm because he couldn't get the barrel off.

Being my usual smart *** self I asked why not try it with the lever down.

Came right off. :oops:
I went in the other room for a while :D

Neat rifle by the way!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

When/if the threads get a tad sticky - remember that the forend is the takedown wrench/lever.

After the forend's off, there's a little squared-off recess inside the forend iron that fits over the barrel lug so the disassembler can get "purchase" on the barrel for turning.

Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Pete44ru wrote:When/if the threads get a tad sticky - remember that the forend is the takedown wrench/lever.

After the forend's off, there's a little squared-off recess inside the forend iron that fits over the barrel lug so the disassembler can get "purchase" on the barrel for turning.

I don't think even I am so lazy that I would ever let any gun get than dirty.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Yeppers, on a CLEAN gun all you do after removing the forearm and opening the action slightly is use your thumb and index finger to unscrew the barrel. Same on the go-back, twist the barrel back in place finger tight, install the forearm, and 'yer back in business. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Well............. There's "stuck threads", and then there's stuck threads.

I had one fella bring me his scoped takedown Model B .300 that wouldn't budge. :shock:

It turned out that particular rifle needed an extra step for takedown. ;)

The front scope base screws needed to first be removed, AND the forend used for leverage - because some unthinking soul (who I would NEVER call a gunsmith) had run the threads (and the screws) all the way through the front receiver ring, INTO the barrel shank. :o :cry:

Rifles CAN be like a box 'o chocolates, fer sure !

Winjester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Winjester »

I appreciate all the inputs, and I'll now try to take her down. I have no idea when it was done the last time.
Thanks again!
Winjester
God Bless America!