Job Security?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Job Security?

Post by iceman »

I got off a conference call this morning to find out I no longer have job. Our competitor cherry picked what they wanted to buy and corporate decided to close the operation. After 13 years with them that is it. Park the company car and wait for the severence package in the mail. I am not too worried yet, my trade (refrigeration) will always be in demand, but a great job like my last one is hard to find. Time will tell.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Job Security?

Post by J Miller »

Ouch! Sorry to hear that.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Dang....I'm sorry. Seems like no one is immune these days.......Knock On Wood. Don't be too proud to use all the resources out there...after all, up until today, you were paying for them all.......Good Luck,Sir...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

They need refrigeration in the Great White North of Kanookistan? :?:

Globull Warming must be worse than we thought! :wink: :mrgreen:

Like you said... you've got a decent Trade. Take a vacation then find some broken air conditioners in July. 8)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Sorry to hear this. I work in the Machine Tool Industry and our sales are off 85%. The company still hopes to break even this year but a lot has to fall into place for it to happen.
Ricky

DWWC
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Old Ironsights you have to get out more. We only have snow 6 months a year. :D :D :D As a matter of fact, our cold climate makes running a large refrigeration system (ie super market) even more challenging. I plan on taking some time off to fish and relax and then give em he**. Air conditioning is the last resort for a refrigeration guy like me no challenge there. Thanks to all for the good wishes. Just another bump in the road, time to start a new chapter in my life's story.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Bad news for sure. The end of the world? No, but it would suck to go looking for a new job.
Old Law Dawg
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Maybe a job in DC....They must have big machinery to make hell freeze over the way they did in Nov 08 :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That sucks Dude!

Hope all turns out well!

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'm sorry to hear your news, I hope something even better in the way of jobs comes along soon. :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Good luck with a new one, iceman.

Not to be flippant, but enjoy your time off.

The last time I was laid off I was out 10 weeks
and enjoyed it all. Lost 15 pounds, and my son
was really disappointed when I told him I had to go
back to work. He LOVED having Dad home every day
that summer!

-Stretch
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

iceman,

Sorry you lost your job,
13 years is a long time to invest and it just isnt right
what is going on all over.
Stay strong, and hope you find a BETTER job very soon.
regards,
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Thanks for all the good wishes. This not only affects me but also 450 other employee. The company is located in Niles MI and was the larget employer in town. This is going to really hurt the local economy.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

A lot of small towns are being hit hard like this. Hope you enjoy your time off and you find something new before money gets tight.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Sorry to hear the bad news iceman, but you seem to have the right approach to things.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

If you happen to live near Toronto, you might try TAC ( http://www.taccontrols.com/ ). My son works for them and he says they are busy. Most of their work seems to be with heating/cooling systems in large buildings in Toronto.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Bang
Levergunner

Post by Bang »

iceman wrote:I got off a conference call this morning to find out I no longer have job. Our competitor cherry picked what they wanted to buy and corporate decided to close the operation. After 13 years with them that is it. Park the company car and wait for the severence package in the mail. I am not too worried yet, my trade (refrigeration) will always be in demand, but a great job like my last one is hard to find. Time will tell.
Sorry to hear that Iceman.

Sony Australia did that to me last month. Apparently they do not need technical support in 2 states nor training of the various service agent staff across 20 service centers. I can just see owners of a business telling their staff to hop online and study Sony TV repair online - NOT ! I had a hard enough time getting 3hrs with practical repair solutions in most places.

I was only there 3 years so it wasn't a great shock to the system.

I felt bad for the guys that had been there 20 years, they were like bewildered children.

Pay wasn't great but it wasn't a hard job. Best job I have had in my working life - their idea of one months work I would finish within the first week.

Parked the car and walked out into a service center and asked for a job - got one being a low pay "no brain" tech for one of the local service agents.
What i miss is buying the Sony gear at 15% below wholesale !
I wish to die like my grandmother - peacefully in her sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in her car !

Is there a 21st Century lever action?
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

You have skills that are flexable to different industries. A different job will come around. Enjoy your time off and I wish you good luck.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

It seems now days the only secure occupation is a Mortician. Sorry about the job. It does look like things may be easing somewhat. Lets all hope this happens soon.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Sorry to hear about the job loss. Best of luck with landing a new job. My industry (trucking) is taking a hit as freight levels plunge. Fortunately my employer is actually gaining business as other trucking outfits are losing business which equates to my staying busy and earning. I think the good Lord had a hand in the events that lead me to come over to this company a year ago. He works in mysterious ways. :)
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I am so sorry to hear that. I wish you luck in finding another good job. keep us posted
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

I hate hearing anyone has lost their job but thanks to those who would rather steal then earn an honest living those who work for the money will always get burned. I left my company 6 years ago and it was a good thing as they are now looking at cutting the retirement package for all those who kept on working and want to retire now. Sucks but companies don't care as long as they can do fat bonuses for the jerks who work for them they are ok with everything. Look even the government is doing nothing about the big bonuses except saying you shouldn't have done that.
I hope you find new work and enjoy the time at home if you can.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Thanks again for all the good wishes, they are deeply appreciated. News like this is a real kick in the pants and I don't mean in the back pockets. I will wait and see the package that is offered and then decide my next move. I will probably contact the company that bought the branches and patents etc. I know a bit about their equipment and their quirks. As far as I know they don't have a tech person in Canada and some of my old customers have told me that if they want to replace my old company's products, they want the same service. Nice to know my customers appreciated the work I did for them. I have been covering most of Canada the last year so travel is not an issue. I have also thought of consulting but as the saying goes "Those that can do and those who can't consult" or something like that. I prefer to do. I will keep you fine folks up to date as the saga unfolds. iceman
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

that's a good idea to approach the company that bought some of your old company. They understand that the customers are used to dealing with you and will likely not want to rock that boat. Our parent company closed a nearby lab and sent their work to our lab. The only people we hired from the disbanded company were the customer service reps so those accounts could continue to have the same reps.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

So sorry to hear the bad news. Here's hopes for a new opportunity to present itself for you out of this chaos.

I had decided to completely retire at the end of this fiscal year (June) for a number of reasons; and it looks like it's not a moment too soon.

At least nobody can fire me from being retired!!