It's official-I heard the first MARLIN'S ARE GOING UP!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

It's official-I heard the first MARLIN'S ARE GOING UP!

Post by cubrock »

Well, today anyway. A guy at the local show was hoofing around a very nice pre-safety 1894 Marlin .44 Mag. He wanted $500 firm. When I handed the gun back (without saying anything about his price) he stated "You know Remington is buying out Marlin. Prices are going up!"

I replied, "That won't affect prices of current guns or what Marlin makes, most likely."

He reiterated, "Oh, no. It is just like when Winchester went out of business. You better get these while you can!"

He left the show with his Marlin.

Anyone else see someone pull this yet?
.........THE TWINS..........

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Not yet, but I know its going to happen as we Americans are capitalists at our finest! Gotta laugh at that "Marlin thing" though. I went down to the Essington show today and well, not much but a mess of overpriced Winchesters and Colts. A rusty no finish 1860 Army for $1850! An 1894 SRC in 30-30 with 2 large splits in the stock and an altered receiver for $1150!
I did manage to buy 500 Hornady .224 55 s.p. for $23 and three boxes of 32 Remingtons for $15 (stole those) Now I need to find an old Remington pump or auto to shoot 'em in.---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Right! I'm gonna run right out and buy every Marlin I see on speculation ....
just like I didn't when USRAC went bellie up.

There will some who will fall for this stuff, and others who take them to the cleaners. But it won't be as bad as the Winchesters.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

Yikes, the guy wanted $500 for a used gun that would retail for $400 in a gun shop and maybe do $350 face-to-face??? What is the world coming to? I guess there will always be profiteers but isn't it a little early?

Rob
NRA
JollyWhiteGiant
Levergunner

Post by JollyWhiteGiant »

kinda like when Colt was going to stop selling to civilians! I remember when Scheels sports up here had big signs all over about it and a few hundred added onto the price tags. What a joke.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I hope prices don't go up, but it's probably going to happen before long.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sounds like a lot of prices on everything related to firearms will be going up January 1. Hopefully this is not a brain-fanny burp for the Remington guys, and sanity will be restored shortly...
chuckles
Levergunner

Post by chuckles »

I don't know what they will do about prices but I am worried about what their bean counters will think about the profit margin on the 39A. That has to be a small margin, forged steel, real checkered Walnut. I can see the push for cost cutting/price increase in the future.
bcp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcp »

Every knows the pre-08 Marlins are much higher quality than the later ones.

:wink:

Bruce
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm sure there will be those who will try to profit from those who are uninformed and gullible.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If they go up, that means MINE just went way up, too........... :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

marlinman93 wrote:I'm sure there will be those who will try to profit from those who are uninformed and gullible.
It's been the same with the ridiculously overpriced Winchesters for the past several years. I'm certainly NOT buying.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

When crows light to start pickin' the eyes out of a nearly dead critter, they seldom wait for it to stop breathing...

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

My Marlins are not all that old only about 25 yrs old now but thankfully all of mine are PRE SAFETY. I wont be selling any off them for less than $500. I am sure they arnt worth that yet, but guarenteed ONE DAY SOON they will be! If everyone else starts hanging on to what they have, I am sure once the market drys up they will increase in value pretty quick.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Stopped at Cabela's in Wheeling WV and a used Marlin 39A was $450 - seemed a bit much, but I don't know what the 'new' price is.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I got a new 39A about two years ago, it was about $475. I got it through Davidson's and they seem to have a big discount off list price for Marlins.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I just paid $495.00 for 39A. Prices might come down. Remington will be able to place larger orders for materials. Just like Walmart, big buying power saves a company money.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~