Transporting rifles comfortably.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Transporting rifles comfortably.

Post by cutter »

Well, so I knocked the back window out of my truck. I think the window mount gun rack was in too tight.

How do you pick up guys haul your rifles?

I've got it narrowed down to either a rack mounted to the rear of the seat, or the visor/overhead type 'cubby'.

This is a Z-71 standared cab with a bench seat, so there isn't much room. What do ya' think?
Any better ideas? I don't like the rear window rack because I bump my hat on it, and I get weird looks with the AR-15...
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I don't like advertising in general.

When I had a regular cab pickup truck with space behind the front seat, I had a rack attached to the body behind the seat.

For an extra cab pickup, I built a dog shelf at about shoulder level, and attached a saddle scabbard to the front of the dog shelf, it could be drawn from when the seat was moved forward or folded forward. Gave lots of room for coats and other gear out of sight too.

Also, I carry long guns along the front edge of the seat, laying on the tunnel, with the butt about 6 inches in from the edge of the seat. In a soft case, they are pretty safe from scuffs, and easy to get to when the door is open.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Plus 1 for no advertising, no use tempting anyone...
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I would opt for mounting an old set of metal gun racks on the back wall of the cab behind the seat. Years ago Chevy had a nice convient trough that was at the base of the seat and ran all the way across to the opposite side of the cab. Either my 1894 or my 336 Marlin would ride there nicely just wrapped in an old wool army blanket that could also double as a nice blanket if stranded in a winter storm.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Cutter, here's a link to some different options, maybe it'll give you an idea.
http://tinyurl.com/2qyckw
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I got the kind that hangs behind the front seats, attached to the front seat headrests. I hold 3, but the cases can be separated to only have one or two. The gun is reachable by the driver or passenger if need be. Not the most concealed thing but I have a 4 DR PU and the rear windows are heavily tinted.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'm agin advertising, too. My carbines are in a case under the back seat of my F150 extended cab. You can only see the gun when I pull it out. :wink:

If I was single I'd like Malamute's suggestion (wish we could see a photo :wink: ) I think. But dogs come second to women in my world. :roll:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

I used to have a 1978 F-150 and had a gun rack mounted on the back wall, behind the bench seat. +1 for no advertising.

I can see how the AR-15 gets looks. Thankfully, no one looks twice at a levergun. :wink:

Rob
NRA
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

The gun rack mounted to the back of the seat seems to be the best bet.

I normally keep my BB gun ( :oops: don't tell anyone , ok? ) or a front stuffer hung in the window. Great for meeting people, ya know.

I may even use two saddle scabbords, one from each side. That would be cool.

Thanks for the tips guys!
Last edited by cutter on Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I have a wool blanket thrown across the back seat for the dogs (hair, toenails, etc.) and when the dogs aren't in the truck, I use it to cover my rifle. Just another lump under an ugly, lumpy blanket.

When the dogs are in the truck, the rifle moves down to the rear floorboard, just under the seat.

With the bucket seats and a center console, all I have to do is stretch out my arm and I have it in hand.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

The overhead racks are available for most trucks, not easy to see and handy.
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I have a jeep and I want to come up with a way to mount overhead coming off of the roll bars. It would be behind the front seat and mounted next to the hardtop. I want it so I can reach up and back with my right hand and pull it forward to remove it and step out of the jeep in a smooth move. Been thinking about for a bit but haven't got around to it yet.
Ricky

DWWC
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

RKrodle wrote:I have a jeep and I want to come up with a way to mount overhead coming off of the roll bars. It would be behind the front seat and mounted next to the hardtop. I want it so I can reach up and back with my right hand and pull it forward to remove it and step out of the jeep in a smooth move. Been thinking about for a bit but haven't got around to it yet.
First, take off the doors. Then mount an ATB scabbard on the outside. Do this by removing the driverside mirror and using the bolt holes to attach the scabbard. This is assuming you're driving a CJ. Works great for us southpaws. Stop Jeep, grab rifle with left hand as you exit.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I have a 04 unlimited, it's a daily driver, I was thinking something more concealed.
Ricky

DWWC
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

oregon73 wrote:... Thankfully, no one looks twice at a levergun. :wink:

Rob
That would get you a ride downtown in a squad car , around here.

It wasn't always that way. :(

Jack
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

I absolutely LOVe the overhead(not the shelf type) gun racks. They work really well, and are handier than anything else, unless you use the kind that hold the rifle pointing staight up, or at a 30-45 degree angle between the driver and passenger sides.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Just say no to advertising.

Mine are under the "window shade" covering the 3rd class area of my Subie Outback Wagon.

Noah
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Another vote for behind the seat.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Seems that the proper answer here is to buy a Ford!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Old Time Hunter wrote:Seems that the proper answer here is to buy a Ford!
No it ain't!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

For traveling, mount the window rack to the rear cab wall, behind the seat.

For handiness whilst cruising back roads, etc, use the single hook rack that hold the gun horizontally, across the truck, just in front of the seat bottom and mounts to the seat bottom's lower frame - one hook on each side of the transmission tunnel.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm pretty careful, so I put my guns in hard cases, and then I slip the cases underneath my soft rubber mat in the bed of the truck. I've got a canopy too, and it's always locked, even while moving down the road.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
zack coyote
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zack coyote »

I drive a Jeep Wrangler, and a crew cab Chevy. When in the Jeep I put my Trapper in a depression in the floor behind the seats, covered by saddle blankets. When in the Chevy the Trapper rides right next to me on the bench seat, covered by saddle blankets. Easy to reach and hard to see.
We'll be remembered for what we've done, not what we have.
www.johndietzstudio.com
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

In the single cab pickups, (I've had mostly Fords,) I rest the rifle, in a good padded case on the little shelf in the back. Not really handy to get to, but the .45 in the glove box, takes care of close encounters!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!