OT - Quality Muzzle Loader Kit Questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Quality Muzzle Loader Kit Questions

Post by Bruce »

Seeing some of the recent threads about some nice looking muzzle loaders reminded me that I intended to get a kit and build myself one this summer. I have the modern in line type(s) and they just don't do it for me.

I am looking for experiences and recommendations from anyone who has purchased and assembled some of the quality kits. My interest is leaning towards the Kentucky type rifle, curly maple stock in 45 caliber. Thanks in advance.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Quality Muzzle Loader Kit Questions

Post by Nath »

Can not really help you but I am glad your are thinking this way :D
years ago I built a CVA 45 kentucky. I did a poor job being very young at the time but boy could it shoot once the barrel was shot in. It would go less than 3" at 100paces every time on pyrodex and a wet lubed patch with Hoppes BP cleaner/lube stuff :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Names that I consistently hear of as being good:

Jim Chambers(also the owner of the Siler lock)
Brad Emig at Cabin Creek
Jack Garner at Tennessee Valley Manufacturing
Track of the Wolf(just know alot of people order from them)

I bought a kit from Jack Garner and it turned out great, though I had a local builder do it. Make sure you get a stock blank that is suitably hard and definitley not too soft. With the latter type you have to REALLY watch overtightening the lock bolts. If you are going with a sliding wood patchbox ask that the wood from the box lid comes from the same wood as the stock to match it up. Good luck!

PS: Nath..I built that same gun at age 12. Lots of us got started on those and they were a hoot to shoot.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

I'm taking this plunge myself. I opted to start with a mid-level .54 smooth rifle kit from Sitting Fox. I did not want to spend extra to get ultra-nice wood, since there's a fair chance I'll be screwing something up on my first attempt. If all else fails pipe clamps and duct tape will work :D
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Nath, I also bulit some kit rifles from CVA - many years ago. They were not too bad for the times, but I know I can get better accuracy today as there are more quality builders.

I have been on the TOTW and Cabin Creek sites today and will try to find the others. Thanks for the info.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

+2 on Track of The wolf

also for my local guy, Brad Emig in Hallam, Pa, at Cabin Creek muzzleloaders puts out fine kits for do-it-your-self jobs

I have one BP rifle from Brad in high grade cherry, and my Brown Bess .75 smooth bore started as a kit from TOTW.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I built a .54 Renegade from a T/C kit in 1980.....It will clover leaf RB at 50yds. .54 RB is brutal on whitetail!
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Here ya go:

http://www.flintlocks.com/

and

http://www.tennesseevalleymanufacturing.com/
for Jack Garner's site click on catalogue and scroll through the parts to arrive at the kits.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

You might check with Dixie Gunworks too.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I would vouch for Cabin Creek. I had one of their Yorktown rifles and it was top shelf. If I ever get back into muzzleloading it will be with one of their rifles.

I did have a bad experience with TOTW when I started to build my first rifle. I was going to build a Southern Mountain rifle with a lollipop tang. I ordered the who set of recomended parts from TOTW. They sent everything except the breechplug which they back ordered. Sorry but to me that's kind of STUPID, no other word for it. They put the plug on backorder. Here I sit with a basket full of parts and the very first step in building the rifle is to install the breechplug. Now what? I had to find out who their source was for the plug so I could find another supplier to get one from. Just my .02
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

+3 on Track of the Wolf! I've dealt with them for years and they are good folks with decent prices and a good inventory. They've got kits from all the price ranges and styles.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The last 3 I did came from Track Of The Wolf. Good quality parts and quick service. Others are good also. Ya gets what ya pays for!!
Lots of fun building them! :D
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice looking piece, Chuck. Looks like ya done good. What model is it?
Old Law Dawg
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

That looks really nice Chuck! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Thanks guys, kimwcook , There are three different rifles there.
Top one is a Vincent (Ohio) full stock in .40 cal with 42" barrel and Doers Egg lock. Real shooter!!

Second one is a Penn. Kentucky with Siler lock, swamped barrel in .50 cal. Great hunting rifle and accurate.

Third is a S. Hawken slant breech 54 cal. round ball shooter. Heavy to carry but very accurate and would make a good Elk gun.

I love the traditional ML rifle and have only one inline , a Knight Big Horn that I would not part with because it has a 26" barrel and they only made them for 1-2 years.
I have, IIRC, 14 ML rifles and one double barrel 12ga. ML in the safe.

Oh, by the way, Not hard to get 2,000 fps out of a RB gun. I have killed several deer with a .45 round ball but the 50 is better for deer although the .40 cal is legal in Washington for deer I haven`t carried my .40 in the deer woods. :D
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Though I love my Early Lancaster Flinter, this is my dream Muzzleloader. This guy Mike Brooks makes some awesome stuff, and did some of the guns for the Patriot.
http://www.fowlingguns.com/rifle6.html
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Twenty years ago, Gander Mountain (or someone) was selling a .50 cal SxS caplock kit for $150. It was a closeout deal, made by CVA, if I recall. Why I didn't buy one, I'll never know...
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Thanks guys. Keep the info and pictures coming. I am impressed w/ the rifles that are listed and those on the sites also. I wish we had a place here in Florida where we could go and look/handle/discuss before we order/buy one. Way too many options and configurations. I am confused now.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

There used to a store in the next town over when I lived in Michigan called "Ye Ole' Blackpowder Shoppe". Only BP stuff - nothing modern. Everything from stock blanks to finished firearms, and everything in between. It was one of my favorite haunts. I had him brown a barrel of me on a Hawkens kit I put together almost 20 years ago. Wish the place was still in business. Something like that gives you a chance to look at and hold all kinds of stuff. Drool factory for sure! :D
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

This is the TVM Early Lancaster Rifle from a kit. It is 54 Cal. with a Green Mountain Barrel. It is of the style slightly before and during the American Revolution, as well as being toted by frontiersmen well after: