independence 357 ok for general shooting?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
a357lever
Levergunner 2.0

independence 357 ok for general shooting?

Post by a357lever »

i dont reload yet! i have a line on independence current production 158 gr sp. 19.99 per 50 should i buy? or 10 boxes for 183.00 what do u think? it wont last so im thinking yes even if i have to shoot it in my SW m28.. ordering a lee press kit so maybe the brass is ok. :idea: ps i have primers but they are about 20 years old been sitting in garage they might still work or should i discard them? :?:
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Re: independence 357 ok for general shooting?

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

That sounds like a pretty steep price for 158 gr. JSP bullets. They better be good! DON'T PITCH THOSE PRIMERS! They are more than likely good. Try a few and see.

EDIT: Oh, that's loaded ammo, not just bullets :oops: . I guess it's not a bad price for current ammo.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I have a case of the stuff. Shoots just fine and that's a pretty decent price right now, especially for 500..
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

May be on the 'old' forum, but I posted a question about 35 year old primers and the consensus was they WOULD work, and so far, I'm finding no problems with them. Storage was not in any sealed environment, and there were oil fumes, temperature changes, and all sorts of the stuff you'd think would kill primers in those little open trays in un-sealed cardboard boxes.

I wouldn't use those for self-defense or dangerous game ammo, just in case.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

a357lever wrote: ps i have primers but they are about 20 years old been sitting in garage they might still work or should i discard them? :?:
I'm loading and shooting Herters LR primers that I bought back in '73 with no problems what so ever.

"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I bought several boxes of Independence .357 soft point ammo a couple of years ago and what we have shot is good stuff.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The ammo price sound good to me.

Keep those primers. They are almost worth their weight in gold.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***