OT- Private Messages

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

OT- Private Messages

Post by Mike D. »

I recently noticed that so called PMs are "edited for content". That being said, be careful what you type in a "Private Message" because someone is watching. In the future, I will be using email as a method of contacting fellow levergunners. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT- Private Messages

Post by DBW »

It's not that anyone is reading PM's... it's likely that those words that are dubbed offensive are also automatically edited the same as on the forum posts.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Yeah, we gotta an electronic censor on the forum. It don't trust us even in the privacy of the Private Message section.

If I find the little troll I'm gonna zap him with my Phaser.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

J Miller wrote:Yeah, we gotta an electronic censor on the forum. It don't trust us even in the privacy of the Private Message section.

If I find the little troll I'm gonna zap him with my Phaser.

Joe

Set on stun?

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I don't believe the software has the capability to censor only certain sections. It's all or nothing.

So, regardless of where you are within this software package you cant say (censored, censored, censored or censored, among other censored words... even when they are legitimate, such as the three lettered word for "cry with deep emotion" that begins with S and ends with B because the sum beaching machine can't determine context... ) ;)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The automatic word censor works on PMs as well as posts. You can turn off the word censor in your preferences. I assure you, I have neither the time nor the desire to poke around PMs. Criminy... :wink: :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hobie wrote: I assure you, I have the time or the desire to poke around PMs.
OK Hobie, which is it you have.......the "time" or the "desire"? :D :D -----------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Unfortunately, some folks don't self police. So we've gotta run the word censor. This is a family oriented place and some folks either don't care or their family has far lower standards than the one that set up the forum in the first place. :) As mentioned above, the censor works at all levels. No one is prying in your PM's. It's part of the software that runs the whole shebang. Sure wish it were not so - but such is the nature of dealing with folks who don't understand the meaning of "polite discourse" as in "we discuss just about anything - politely". Anyway, sir, no one is poking around in private messages. We've got lives to lead. :D :lol: And what I'm referring to is NOT the content of your PM's (there's no way I could know what's in one unless addressed to me personally) it's a reference to how folks have attempted to turn this place into the same type of place as so many other forums on the net. There's plenty of places one can discuss guns and use crude and profane language. This, however, is not one of them. And since we have to run the censor on the forum it overflows into the PM section as well by default.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Sixgun wrote:
OK Hobie, which is it you have.......the "time" or the "desire"? :D :D -----------Sixgun

ha? fruedian slip?
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

OMG! The "offensive" word in question was CR*P. It's sad that a simple definitive can offend someone. Oh well, all the more reason to use email. :shock:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Talk about PC.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Luckly, I'm a perfect gentleman......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sixgun wrote:
I fixed it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

First off, let me say this is my all time favorite forum, and I mean no offence to anyone here. Take this as an observation only.

I find it funny that a group that believes as strongly in freedoms granted us by the Founding Fathers as the majority on this forum, uses censorship to temper the speech used in posts. Then it is justified by "can't self police", "moderatore don't read PMs", "...it's all or nothing with the electronic censor" and so on. Would Mr. Jefferson allow his writing to be censored for "nasty" words? So all you freedom loving souls (can I say souls?), Big Brother invades even the Pro-Gun, Pro-Freedon Forums!

Rant off, and let the flames begin...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BlaineG wrote:Luckly, I'm a perfect gentleman......
So where'd you stash the real BlaineG then? :lol:
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

mikld wrote:First off, let me say this is my all time favorite forum, and I mean no offence to anyone here. Take this as an observation only.

I find it funny that a group that believes as strongly in freedoms granted us by the Founding Fathers as the majority on this forum, uses censorship to temper the speech used in posts. Then it is justified by "can't self police", "moderatore don't read PMs", "...it's all or nothing with the electronic censor" and so on. Would Mr. Jefferson allow his writing to be censored for "nasty" words? So all you freedom loving souls (can I say souls?), Big Brother invades even the Pro-Gun, Pro-Freedon Forums!

Flames? No need for flames. The internet is a wide open space where you can find places that meet your needs/desires. You can find plenty of places where every kind of profanity is not only permitted but is the norm. To find a place where polite speech is not only encouraged but required is not as easy. No one obligates anyone to come here or to communicate with anyone here on any level. We all come and hang out because we enjoy the camaraderie and the atmosphere. The requirement to use polite speech is part of the attraction. We try to maintain a place where ANYONE in the family can feel at home. From the maiden great aunt down to the five year old with a Daisy Red Ryder. From the very beginning it's been called "Paco Kelly's Leverguns.com Forum" - which indicates that the standards in place are the standards set by a certain person.

Here's an example. I have a very strict policy in my own home. No fighting or arguing. If someone doesn't like that, no problem. They are free to leave - under their own power or mine, their choice. The funny thing is - folks feel at home in our place. Many, many people have said, "I feel at peace here." Even folks who visit for the first time, folks we've never met before, have mentioned this to us. Why? Because we set a standard and we stand behind that standard. To this day I've only had to eject one person from my home. And they are not welcome back until they decide to hold to my standard. They can fuss, fight, scream, argue and curse all they want. Just not in my home. Funny thing is, that person I ejected is a family member. And each time I say "We'll give that person another chance." that person has repaid me by disrespecting my standards. No telling WHEN I'll feel like saying, "OK, let's give 'em another chance." But it's up to that person to either meet my standards or stay away. Again, I'm not infringing on that person's right to freedom of expression at all. They can express themselves anyway they want. But so can I. Their right does not trump my right to run my place to suit myself.

And that translates to the mode of conduct that is used here on this forum. It is NOT a "public forum" in the sense that the public sets the standards. A lot of the guys have ponied up the cash to help pay for the costs of running the place - but the forum is the private property of an individual and thus it is run by that individual's standards. We are all welcome to either abide by the standards or find a place more to our liking. Me? I like it here. You'd have a hard time finding a curse word I've never heard. And you'd never find one that would impress me. I've heard it all before and find that it adds nothing to polite discourse. If I felt this place was too restrictive of my right to express myself I'd have no trouble finding a dozen sites that would meet a far lower standard.

Most of the folks here are happy with the way it's run. And that's what makes this a great place to hang one's @. :) We can discuss 'most anything here - politely. That pretty much sums it up. The code of conduct starts at the door. In either direction. All we ask is that folks abide by the house rules. We are all, after all, virtual guests in Paco's virtual living room. When we start acting by our own rules then we are forgetting that we're guests. And that's not polite. Shucks, Hobie's reigned me in too when I forgot to be polite. Thanks Hobie. I noticed and I thank you.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Paul,

We all go over the edge some time or another. I've done it, too! And please note that your ministry extends to Staunton, VA!

But enough of the mutual admiration society (even if it is deserved). :wink:

I've been around the world, in the military, and I can cuss in 4 different languages (even in sign language). But being able to do a thing doesn't mean I should do it. I absolutely don't use that language around my wife, mother, daughters or other family women and I don't do so around children either. Heck, I don't cuss around women who are cussing in front of me. That is wrong in my book. I know that you wouldn't want me to walk up to your wife or daughter and use foul language. There are WOMEN and CHILDREN on this forum. They are due OUR respect.
Sincerely,

Hobie

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

And there are MINISTERS on the forum too!! :shock:

It cracks me up when someone says "Watch your language, the preacher's here!" If they don't mind using language like that in front of God Almighty - who am I to warrant more respect? Unless, of course, we're on MY turf in MY home. And then it's my rules - like it or not. But here it's Paco's rules and the main one is polite language - even when we disagree with someone.

The main problem is, it sometimes takes a LOT more effort to get one's point across politely than it would to simply resort to foul language and ad hominem attacks.
Paul - in Pereira

Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Luckly, I'm a perfect gentleman......
So where'd you stash the real BlaineG then? :lol:

He's wrapped up in a pod that this new Blaine keeps locked out in the shed by his carport. :twisted:
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Goat »

One of the reasons that this is my absolute favorite website is the fact that I do NOT have to worry about what I see here. I appreciate the fact that this is a family oriented site and foul or abusive language or personal attacks are not tolerated. I am a former full time pastor and presently serve as an assistant pastor where we attend. But, I work in the real world where I have and continue to hear it all. I do not have to tolerate it in my own home and will not allow it to go on in front of my two small children. I for one am MOST grateful that this site is "polite." If some one wants to use the kind of language that the moderators and owners consider offensive then they have the right to go somewhere else. Thank you for having standards and sticking to them!!!
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

AmBraCol wrote:
mikld wrote:First off, let me say this is my all time favorite forum, and I mean no offence to anyone here. Take this as an observation only.

Flames? No need for flames. The internet is a wide open space where you can find places that meet your needs/desires. You can find plenty of places where every kind of profanity is not only permitted but is the norm. To find a place where polite speech is not only encouraged but required is not as easy. No one obligates anyone to come here or to communicate with anyone here on any level. We all come and hang out because we enjoy the camaraderie and the atmosphere. The requirement to use polite speech is part of the attraction. We try to maintain a place where ANYONE in the family can feel at home. From the maiden great aunt down to the five year old with a Daisy Red Ryder. From the very beginning it's been called "Paco Kelly's Leverguns.com Forum" - which indicates that the standards in place are the standards set by a certain person.

Here's an example. I have a very strict policy in my own home. No fighting or arguing. If someone doesn't like that, no problem. They are free to leave - under their own power or mine, their choice. The funny thing is - folks feel at home in our place. Many, many people have said, "I feel at peace here." Even folks who visit for the first time, folks we've never met before, have mentioned this to us. Why? Because we set a standard and we stand behind that standard. To this day I've only had to eject one person from my home. And they are not welcome back until they decide to hold to my standard. They can fuss, fight, scream, argue and curse all they want. Just not in my home. Funny thing is, that person I ejected is a family member. And each time I say "We'll give that person another chance." that person has repaid me by disrespecting my standards. No telling WHEN I'll feel like saying, "OK, let's give 'em another chance." But it's up to that person to either meet my standards or stay away. Again, I'm not infringing on that person's right to freedom of expression at all. They can express themselves anyway they want. But so can I. Their right does not trump my right to run my place to suit myself.

And that translates to the mode of conduct that is used here on this forum. It is NOT a "public forum" in the sense that the public sets the standards. A lot of the guys have ponied up the cash to help pay for the costs of running the place - but the forum is the private property of an individual and thus it is run by that individual's standards. We are all welcome to either abide by the standards or find a place more to our liking. Me? I like it here. You'd have a hard time finding a curse word I've never heard. And you'd never find one that would impress me. I've heard it all before and find that it adds nothing to polite discourse. If I felt this place was too restrictive of my right to express myself I'd have no trouble finding a dozen sites that would meet a far lower standard.

Most of the folks here are happy with the way it's run. And that's what makes this a great place to hang one's @. :) We can discuss 'most anything here - politely. That pretty much sums it up. The code of conduct starts at the door. In either direction. All we ask is that folks abide by the house rules. We are all, after all, virtual guests in Paco's virtual living room. When we start acting by our own rules then we are forgetting that we're guests. And that's not polite. Shucks, Hobie's reigned me in too when I forgot to be polite. Thanks Hobie. I noticed and I thank you.
Excellent post! Thanks!
The Lord Bless You

Terry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:wink: The bad words have taken care of theirself. PC, polite, etc is sometimes in the eye of the beerholder and is selectivly perceived, and enforced :wink: That is, of course, IMO. :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV