OT-Is this a sign of burnout, overload or cheapness?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

OT-Is this a sign of burnout, overload or cheapness?

Post by awp101 »

Or, Heaven forbid, a sign of maturity... :lol:

Went to the show today with my heart set on a CZ .22 bolt action. Wouldn't you know, after practically tripping over them for the past couple of years there were NONE to be found. :roll:

In the meantime, I ran across several things that have been on "The List" for a few years: two Bingham Squires PPS50s (a .22LR copy of the Soviet PPSh41), Remington 81 in .35 Rem for $450 IIRC, 8" or 10" .256WinMag Contender barrel w/Leupold glass for $225 (and he would have haggled), Savage MKII FVT (the heavy barrel target model w/Accu-Trigger and peep sights) like new for $280, Winchester 74 for $400 ( :shock: ), Ruger Chargers from $280-350 (but I can support my preferred local shop for only $289 anyway) and a variety of handguns I wouldn't mind. A combination of them could have come home with me.

I left having only bought lunch and a 20 minute chair massage. :roll:

There's several things at the aforementioned shop that I looked at yesterday (the Charger, Baikal 6.5x55/12ga O/U, CZ452 ZKM-2E Special Trainer, cz82 in .380, Essex frame/Colt series 80 slide Commander length in .38 Super). Same thing, none left with me.

Usually if what I'm looking for doesn't appear at a show, I find something else that grabs me. Is this a sign of growing up? :? :shock: :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT-Is this a sign of burnout, overload or cheapness?

Post by J Miller »

I would say, burn out.

The number of guns I want has never been huge, just expensive.

Now that list is down to maybe three guns. And even they haven fallen to the bottom of the priority list.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Overload, I keep thinking of the un-finished projects.
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Sounds more like a cross between senility and CRS. :lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm with you.....I haven't seen anything worth it's asking price at a show for years......Not to say I haven't bought knowing it was a bit high :oops: :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I left one Saturday morning with $2 of used 307 WIN brass. They had a nice Rem model 14 carbine for $389 in 30 rem and other Rem pump 22's at fair prices and a Stevens lever in 30 Rem . Iwas looking for reloading stuff and there wasn't much. But there always seems to be a gun that is on the list.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I can always find something that's on my list, I just happen to go to shows when I'm flat broke. Wait a minute, that's most of the time. :oops:
NRA Life Member
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

One idea I'm still kicking around is sending my Handi-Rifle to have some barrels fitted for calibers I want to play with and that's about the cheapest way to do it.

Blaine, I've often consoled myself with the following phrase "I didn't pay too much, I only paid too soon!" :mrgreen:
Bear 45/70 wrote:Sounds more like a cross between senility and CRS. :lol:
There's a greater than zero chance... :lol: My Mother had a phenomenal memory while my Father and I are doing good to remember what we had for breakfast by lunchtime. When she passed, my Dad and I figured we had three working memory cells between the two of us....
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

AWP101,
Next aquisition will be a NEF platform in a rifle caliber, need to buy a rifle platform that is eligible for the barrel exchange program.
Right after that, the muzzleloader barrel, because it is eligible for the .25ACP ignition plug that is available.
The blackpowder elk season where I live is woefully underserved.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Tis a sign of maturity and approaching wisdom. When we are young, we lust after things, which when obtained bring a short time of happyness and then it take more new things to make us happy again. None of the gun highs last, but we keep seeking that one perfect gun that will make us complete and happy from here on out.

Then one day, we grow up and realize that happyness is not purchased. We learn to appreciate what we have and they become old friends that share our days. We also regret some of the others we "sold down river", to buy some new floosey that only provided a temporary respite from our quest.

About five years back, I began to sell and trade a bunch of the new flooseys to purchase back those old friends from another day. I have fewer guns, but better guns and wonderful memories.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Charles wrote:None of the gun highs last, but we keep seeking that one perfect gun that will make us complete and happy from here on out.
I either need to talk to you more Mr Charles or put my fingers in my ears and holler "NANANANANANANANANA!" so I can't hear you since you certainly hit the nail on the head there! :lol: That's EXACTLY what I've been doing for the past 10 years or so. :? I can tell you some of the acquisitions made by trading/selling, but the sad part is that for far too many of them I have no idea.

As I look over the list I first posted, the things that stand out are the 6.5/12ga combo, a Charger, the Savage .22 (which I may or may not see again at the next show), a Model 28-2 for under 5 bills that I forgot the shop had and maybe a .22 conversion for my G19. The only drawback IMO to the 28 is it's a 6" barrel and I prefer 4-5". And of course the 2-3 NEF barrels.

Looking back at what I've had and what's on the list the only two items I'd like to replace are the N Frame (I've had 3) and a Colt 1903 (3 of those have passed through my hands as well).

Hmmm, more pondering to do...
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Well, I learn from my experience as I spent many many years bitten with gun lust. I think I have finally removed the bug from under my skins, but I still have far more guns that I will never need or use. I have three Smith 28s. One a 6" and two 4". Those were we only two barrel lengths they came in. The Model 27 came in 5" but not the 28. In the past year I have sold two more 28s and one 27 (yep a 5 incher) down river and dont' regret their passing out of my hands. I would not turn up my nose at a good 6" Model 28 as my 4 inchers would go before the longer one. I bought it new in 1981 when I came back from South American and it is a very fine handgun. Skeeter once wrote the Model 28 was the best sixgun value on the market. He certainly was correct. If a aTexan could only own one centerfire sixgun, a 6" 28 or 27 would do nicely.

Best of luck in your struggle!
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Charles wrote:If a Texan could only own one centerfire sixgun...
...then the world is about to end! :lol:
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

JustaJeepGuy wrote:
Charles wrote:If a Texan could only own one centerfire sixgun...
...then the world is about to end! :lol:
That's not far from the truth... :lol:

Maybe I can get the 6" and swap it to Charles for a 4"! :lol: :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've been watching this thread and thinking the same things.

I been to several shows this year and have sold several guns and only bought one. An 1886 / 33 WCF.
Did some trading and am about to sell off the guns I traded for.

I've been trying to stem the search for the perfect rifle and the perfect packin' pistol and
think I'm close. Thined out some calibers and guns I haven't shot in months or years.
The only constants are family guns and a few that I've found to be exceptional shooters.
The rest have to go. Putting the money towards quality instead of quantity.

At one time I had about 200 firearms. I think I'm down to about 30 or less.
Still think thats too many these days. I don't have time to shoot and reload for them
all and when I do have time to go hunting that deer , boar etc. isn't going to care if I shot it
with a .444 or a 45-70. Dead is dead.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

2ndovc,
been thinking of thinning myself, seems I have too many.
Seems that way.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Good thread. I've been doing a little thinning myself and have acquired a couple of long wanted rifles at the same time. But I have a passel of FAL's HK's and Mausers that are hitting the trail before long and very few guns I can think of that I still want. Heck, The other day in the gun shop I walked right past the Single action display and didn't even stop. :shock: