OT- Looking for a tool

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Looking for a tool

Post by Rusty »

I know many of us carry these new fangled knives with the pocket clip on them. I have a CRKT knife that has the clip that is fastened with screws. The problem is they seem to be torx head screws and are 1/16" or less. Where would one find a torx driver that small?

Thanks,
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Looking for a tool

Post by Tycer »

Rusty wrote:I know many of us carry these new fangled knives with the pocket clip on them. I have a CRKT knife that has the clip that is fastened with screws. The problem is they seem to be torx head screws and are 1/16" or less. Where would one find a torx driver that small?

Thanks,
Lowe's has a Kobalt brand mini screwdriver set in torx. I've got one of the mini slotted/phillips ones also.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Any real hardware store will sell torx tips individually. We've got two in town that do.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:) Sears (Craftsman) has them too. T6 and T8 seem to be the common sizes of those screw heads. That's where I got mine for the same thing. Hope it helps, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I just bought a set of "mini" bits from Harbor Freight. It has probably 40 screwdriver bits of the smallest sizes of torx, phillips, etc. I think it was only 10 bucks or so.
NRA Life Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

In addition to what the other boys have said, "if" you get desperate, an allen wrench at near the same size will work if you put some muscle into down pressure. Even if you have to cut a piece of the allen wrench off and chuck it into a drill press.---------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Michael Z.
Levergunner

Post by Michael Z. »

I've also got one of those CRKT folders with those funny little screws holding the clip on. Home Depot has a little screw driver set (item 74502) that is under the "Husky" name that is nearly identical to the one from Lowes that Tycer posted. It has a bit that will fit those little torx screws. I'd be willing to bet the Lowes unit will have the same bit. :D

Michael Z.
Dahlonega, GA
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks guys, I didn't know where to look. My local hardware is the real McCoy but they didn't have anything this small. I'll try Lowes tomorrow.

JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

What about Sears? I bought a T8 driver there for those same screws.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Michael Z. wrote:I've also got one of those CRKT folders with those funny little screws holding the clip on. Home Depot has a little screw driver set (item 74502) that is under the "Husky" name that is nearly identical to the one from Lowes that Tycer posted. It has a bit that will fit those little torx screws. I'd be willing to bet the Lowes unit will have the same bit. :D
+1, that's what I bought (for like $9) to use on my CRKT.

Are you looking to take the clip off, change to a tip-up carry or did a screw just fall out? I find the clip really convenient for front pocket carry. It also makes for a faster draw.

Consider blue locktite when you reinstall the screws.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

No haven't lost the screw as of yet, but it's been put in as tight as I could get it without the proper driver about three times. I didn't really want to use an allen wrench on it and bugger it up. I like the clip, keeps the knife in the same spot every time when I go to reach for it.

alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Rusty wrote:No haven't lost the screw as of yet, but it's been put in as tight as I could get it without the proper driver about three times.
Blue Locktite ... let sit for 24 hours.

Nice knife. Which model?
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

This one is the M-16-14ZSF. It has the Tanto point, the double locks and a short section of serrations on the first 1 1/4" of the blade.

alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Rusty wrote:This one is the M-16-14ZSF. It has the Tanto point, the double locks and a short section of serrations on the first 1 1/4" of the blade.
Yep, nice knife. I had an M16-14SF and currently have an M21-14SF. Wish I hadn't gotten rid of the tanto point, but I wanted one with the AutoLAWKS. BTW, if you convert it to a tip-up carry, you can create a "waved" knife, where it opens as you draw it based upon the flipper catching the inside of the pocket.