OT Forum etiquette

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

OT Forum etiquette

Post by Otto »

This is a problem I have on a different forum, and was wondering whether I'm letting this get under my skin for no reason.

There is an individual who is a moderator, and a widely-acknowledged authority in a certain area. Someone will post a question on how to do something, and this individual will post a sort of generic, non-responsive reply like "it's up to you. We all have our own ways of doing things." Then another poster will say, "the way I do it is such-and-such", and this individual will immediately reply with a detailed description of how he does it, directly contradicting the other poster and implying that he is giving bad advice, even though he just said a few minutes ago that it was a matter of personal preference. He does this alot. I'm starting to think he is more interested in being Mr Helpful, than in actually helping. That's okay, if it makes him happy, but I see no reason to intentionally discredit other posters in the process, unless they are giving genuinely bad advice.

I don't want to say who this is, or the name of the forum, except that it is not this one
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Forum etiquette

Post by Modoc ED »

Does this guys name start with a "V" over at Rimfire Central?
ED
Yer never too old
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Modoc ED wrote:Does this guys name start with a "V" over at Rimfire Central?
Never been there, and I won't answer any more guesses. I will say the individual in question does contribute alot to the forum.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Personality interplay and tendency is a big part of these forums. Takes a little time to see how it all goes and that changes. It has certainly been an education for me.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Experts frequently need to discredit other experts to maintain their expertness. One example is having an electrician come over to your house to quote on a job, and hearing him comment on how horribly the wiring was done in your house.

Also it may not have occurred to him that there's any other way to do it than his way, so when someone else pipes up with another way, it sets him off.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Could be worse - it could be like me. I'm not a moderator, know next to nothing about anything, but sure do love to talk a lot! :lol:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Could be worse - it could be like me. I'm not a moderator, know next to nothing about anything, but sure do love to talk a lot! :lol:

Kid, I'd much rather have that, than the know-it-alls that are constantly "correcting" everyone else.
NRA Life Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well, he is right, there is a lot of personal preference and yet there are some things that specifically can't be done. I think moderators sometimes feel a NEED to contribute but really don't have the time. Then a specific comment is made and there is a point of disagreement on which they feel they must comment.

Many posters on many of the forums depend on the forums for ALL of their information (or so it appears). This isn't wise but it is so and the moderators know this. There are certain members and/or moderators who also feel they have a responsibility to clarify in order to prevent a catastrophe on the part of a reader who may not be posting but lurking and perhaps not even a forum member.

Clearly this bothers you and not being familiar with the forum or knowing the moderator I can't comment on whether or not you're over-reacting. If it bothers you there must be some reason that's so but I can't help you there.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

I
Hobie wrote:Well, he is right, there is a lot of personal preference and yet there are some things that specifically can't be done. I think moderators sometimes feel a NEED to contribute but really don't have the time. Then a specific comment is made and there is a point of disagreement on which they feel they must comment.

Many posters on many of the forums depend on the forums for ALL of their information (or so it appears). This isn't wise but it is so and the moderators know this. There are certain members and/or moderators who also feel they have a responsibility to clarify in order to prevent a catastrophe on the part of a reader who may not be posting but lurking and perhaps not even a forum member.

Clearly this bothers you and not being familiar with the forum or knowing the moderator I can't comment on whether or not you're over-reacting. If it bothers you there must be some reason that's so but I can't help you there.
I admit that, right now, it is irritating me because he has done it to me twice recently, but I had noticed this habit quite awhile ago.

It is indeed a site which has alot of "experts" and, as I said, he contributes a great deal to the forum. In fact, he is constantly pointing that out.

Here is an example:
How often should I clean my rifle?
Personal preference. Some people rarely clean their guns, others clean after every firing session.
If I only fire a couple of rounds, and I know I'm going out again in a day or two, I let it slide.
I clean after every firing session, even if I only fired one round. People who neglect their firearms should find a different hobby.

He also seems to contradict himself from one thread to another: "Don't over-clean your guns, you're actually causing more damage."

Please do not reveal the site or the forum, if you happen to figure it out. I'm not trying to stir up trouble with someone I will probably never meet anyway.

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Sounds to me like it is Mr. Helpful who is creating the problem, not you. As long as he's harmless, I wouldn't worry about trying to fix him up. Let him go on his merry way and if he wants to pontificate, it's not your problem. Now if he was a good friend, that would be another matter ..... a fellow shouldn't let his good friend make a fool out of himself without saying something to him.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well, I might disagree but that is of no consequence. You're correct, that is contradictory. I would say that if you notice this, so do others. Such contradictory comments tend to discredit the source.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, he is right, there is a lot of personal preference and yet there are some things that specifically can't be done. I think moderators sometimes feel a NEED to contribute but really don't have the time. Then a specific comment is made and there is a point of disagreement on which they feel they must comment. - Hobie
Valid point there - especially when they stray into the dangerous or just flat false thinking they have agreement.

KirkD is the best here at not being drawn in!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It can be a real bear to listen that sort of know-it-all sometimes........
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Hobie wrote:Well, I might disagree but that is of no consequence. You're correct, that is contradictory. I would say that if you notice this, so do others. Such contradictory comments tend to discredit the source.
+1
As a credit to my fellow forum members (on this and other forums), it doesn't take long for most of us to recognize and discredit bs'ers.
The thing I like about this forum is that it's nearly family-like. Guys squabble sometimes, but often end up closer because of it. A while back, I had a pretty ugly disagreement with a fellow member. Through it all, I realized that he's a good man. We showed each other grace. And I now consider him a true friend, whom I have prayed for often. Guys......that's family.

It reminds me of the two labs I had years ago. They were father and son. The son was beginning to attempt to gain dominance over the elder. They fought often, although with no blood-shed. However, one day they went at it. Somehow during the scuffle, their collars got hooked. As you can imagine, they continued the fight wondering why the other guy wouldn't stop. It got very ugly. When I managed to unhook them, they each were bloody and visibly shaken. Neither of them wanted it to get that ugly. They each seemed to regret that it ever happened. It was a very touching moment. However, a few days later they were back at it! :roll:

Sincerely,
bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

I guess I should point out that, just because two people disagree, doesn't make either of them a know-it-all. One person making an irrational argument doesn't make the other person a know-it-all. One person resorting, almost reflexively, to personal attacks on anyone who disagrees with him doesn't make everyone else a know-it-all.

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I have observed some moderators that were quite egotistical and general pains in the butt. Of course, this site is quite the exception. Special thanks to our moderators!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

BlaineG wrote:It can be a real bear to listen that sort of know-it-all sometimes........

HA!
I get it!

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
HATCHETTJACK
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HATCHETTJACK »

me too :mrgreen:
WATCH YOUR TOP KNOT
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
NRA Life Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I guess I should point out that, just because two people disagree, doesn't make either of them a know-it-all. One person making an irrational argument doesn't make the other person a know-it-all. One person resorting, almost reflexively, to personal attacks on anyone who disagrees with him doesn't make everyone else a know-it-all. Otto
Ain't that the truth - good observation.

coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Awhile back there was a forum that is now out of business....been gone for several years now so i guess I can name it. several of you may remember shooterstalk. They had a great BP cartridge section but eventually it got so "cliqueish" that i finally gave up on it. Questions I or other "outsiders" asked were ignored because I/we were not part of the clique. They would discuss the upcoming matches and hobnob back and forth, but if a non clique member won the match the subject was quickly forgotten. It got real bad and like I said i finally just stopped visiting it. Then I found leverguns, started in here, and hoped it would not be a repeat. well, it isnt. GREAT JOB GUYS. This site really is like sitting around a campfire. A newbie comes in and he is welcome immediately,a lot of you I really do consider experts in your fields, but you dont strut and act like it. hats off to leverguns!
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I was out in my field just today...

checking fences! :mrgreen:
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Sounds like Cary C on the ruger forum; what a world class arrogant idiot!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Bogie35 wrote:The thing I like about this forum is that it's nearly family-like. Guys squabble sometimes, but often end up closer because of it. A while back, I had a pretty ugly disagreement with a fellow member. Through it all, I realized that he's a good man. We showed each other grace. And I now consider him a true friend, whom I have prayed for often. Guys......that's family.

bogie
That reminds me of about half of my gun club; express the slightest interest in someone's particular "game", and they'll not only help you learn about it, but they'll outfit you, drive there, and insist on buying you lunch!

The other half of the club, however, can go straight to hell. Shotgun snobs, "afficionados", and know it all drunks.

I asked one of them for advice (right before I shot the first clays of my life) about which choke to use in my 12 gauge, and he replies, "Oh, an I.C. will do". I said, "Oh, good! I happen to have an improved cylinder choke in it." He proceeded to argue with me up and down, until I finally got him to put an eyeball on it! People like that should wear a t-shirt to let people know they're a PITA.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Having met with some of the members of this forum for hunting and target shooting, I must say that all I have met are the sort of people whom I would be willing to count as friends. Based on my experience, we have some really great people here. That is why the forum works as well as it does.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I haven't met one "bad" person from this forum. Lots of great folks on here.
Sincerely,

Hobie

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Both this and the old sixgunner.com forums were started by Christian men with Christian principles. And it shows to this day. Not perfect by a long shot, but the foundation shows through day in and day out.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

20cows wrote:I was out in my field just today...

checking fences! :mrgreen:
I take it that was your left field? :D
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

AmBraCol wrote:Both this and the old sixgunner.com forums were started by Christian men with Christian principles. And it shows to this day. Not perfect by a long shot, but the foundation shows through day in and day out.
Paul, :D +1 I started out on Sixgunner.Com back in '98 and came here after Paco set it up. I have met many members in person and shot with a bunch of 'em. Good Christian people who will give you the shirt off your back or their last reload!

I do believe that many guys are macho and tend to over-analyze what others write. I used to but no longer get offended because I know one day our paths will cross at a gunshow or whatever and I'll just bust 'em upside the head. :lol: :lol:

If there's an idiot (perceived or real) on the board, just ignore him. They usually straighten themselves out. I've posted some stupid stuff and got told about it and learned how to be decent. well, sometimes :D -----------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I've got to agree. This is a terrific forum, and the people on it are first-rate.

Many of you old(ER!)-timers have forgotten more than I know about shooting, but
honest advice is always forthcoming, whatever the topic. Shooting leverguns is the
main theme, but I've seen auto repair advice, recipes (for real food, not just cartridges!),
marital advice, motorcycle advice, and a bunch of other topics discussed here, almost
without exception in a gentlemanly way. Most folks also exhibit a sense of humor, a
quality I consider absolutely necessary!

Many thanks to you who run and moderate it. You do a great job.

-Stretch
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Sixgun wrote:
AmBraCol wrote:Both this and the old sixgunner.com forums were started by Christian men with Christian principles. And it shows to this day. Not perfect by a long shot, but the foundation shows through day in and day out.
Paul, :D +1 I started out on Sixgunner.Com back in '98 and came here after Paco set it up. I have met many members in person and shot with a bunch of 'em. Good Christian people who will give you the shirt off your back or their last reload!
Yep, we've been rubbing shoulders for over a decade now. :) By the way, that copy of Sixguns by Keith you sent me has been read and re-read and I'll probably be re-reading it later this year. :) I've gotten a lot of mileage out of it. Thank you very much - once again.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

I need a digital copy; my hardback version's about wore out!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer