Best Slings

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Best Slings

Post by getitdone1 »

I've never spent much time using a sling and don't expect to in the future. Still, I'm in the market for a two good slings for the following guns. Sling must not have any metal parts other than swivels.

Browning 1886 SRC--Can someone direct me to the sling that holds butt of this gun and attaches at both ends WITHOUT swivels. The butt kind of sets in a "holster."

Bolt action Rifle--Again no steel parts to sling. Sling that will stay put and not be sliding off of my shoulder and will fit 1" swivels.

Brown leather for both above slings.

Been to Midway site but still look'in.

Don McCullough
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

For an all leather sling that uses swivels and is easily adjustable, I have been meaning to get me a Montana Sling, just have not got around to it yet.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/commo ... &noImage=0
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
The Lewis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by The Lewis »

For that SRC check out the saddle ring sling @ www.castbullet.com. Looks like Junior makes a good little sling but it's not leather, wouldn't be hard to make one though, I did out of a old Uncle Mike's sling I had. This is the only way I will sling a rifle from now on, hands free and carries extremely well and the rifle is always ready to be pointed in an instant. You never have to lean your rifle against anything to do anything. I want to put saddle rings on all my rifles now!

Otherwise, I like to just carry 'em at the ready, never liked to have a gun slung on my shoulder just because they aren't real handy to get into action if need be.
Molon Labe
pokynojoe
Levergunner

Post by pokynojoe »

Not sure, but if you're looking for a shooting sling for that bolt rifle, take a look at Murray Custom Leather A-1 Quick Set.

Regards
Joe
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

CRS and I just experimented with this method.

Take off the butt plate and put a think piece of suede or deerskin between the stock and butt plate. Use the two screw holes to go through the skin to hold it. Leave a tab about 2" sticking out the bottom of the stock. You can cut it to match up real nice. Option one: You fold the tab through a oval ring that the sling will go through. Use a Chicago screw or rivet to close the leather strip around the oval loop. Option two: just punch a hole through the strip folder over itself. Put a QD swivel through the hole and secure it.

Slip a 2 1/2" X 1" wide strip between the tube and the barrel. Fold it onto itself and punch a hole through both pieces. Option one: use a rivet or Chicago screw to secure the strip through an oval that the sling will go through. Option two: punch two holes in the strip folder over itself. Put the QD swivel through the holes and secure it.

It is not permanent, does't make any holes or marks on the rifle and you can use an attached sling or make use of QD sling swivels.

Very minimal cost.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I found this one at Cabelas. It is for a black powdered rifle but it works well on my 86. It is call "slip on sling" under black powder accessories.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

"That'll Be The Day"
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

This is all I use. I probably have a dozen of them. Made by Hunter. Model 110. Because I did not want to alter the rifle in any way, for this 1886, I simply put a slip-on butt pad and made my own little gizmo for attaching the sling swivel to the buttstock. The front of the sling can be attached via a magazine band. Don't hurt the rifle none. My son uses the same set-up on his Browning 1886 SRC.------------Sixgun

Image,

Image,

Image,

Image,
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Check out this guy. He can make up what you want, and the quality and price are excellent. http://www.levergunleather.com/index.htm

Here's a set up he made for me.

[img][img]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/ ... ttCuff.jpg[/img][/img]
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

I use a 1.25" Brownells Quick-Set Latigo Sling on my M94. They are shooting/carry sling made of suberbly supple leather with no metal parts that will contact the stock. They also come in 1" width.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... 20sling&s=
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

For guns with sling swivels I like to use the nylon sling for the M16. It is easy to adjust and use for sling suport. If you dont want nylon I recomend an all leather nation match type sling for the same reasons.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis