Marlin 94 Cowboy ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Marlin 94 Cowboy ?

Post by 2ndovc »

I was talking to one of the other forum members yesterday when I mentioned that I was planning on buying a 94 Cowboy in 45 Colt for silhouette shooting. I was supprised when he told me that a 45 Colt Cowboy he had was the only Marlin hed ever had that wouldn't shoot. Terrible accuracy.

I shot John K's.( w30cf) Cowboy / 357 at the last match and was really taken with it.

Anyone else ever have a problem with the 45 Colt Cowboy rifles or was this just a bummer from the factory?

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Mine is a good shooter..NOT for sale!
Last edited by Chuck 100 yd on Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I've been "on the steel" at 300 yards with my .45 Colt CB-Limited with just a little load work and no problems.
Certified gun nut
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Since it won't shoot good maybe you can pick it up cheap?

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

Yes, I bought one a couple years ago and it was a real disappointment. Sent it back 5 times and recieved 3 different rifles, never did get it right and ended up refusing shipment of the last one and got a refund. Without getting into a huge post, basically the problem was the rifling, it was unbelievabley crude and rough on everyone that they sent me so much soo that it could not be seen in some parts of the barrel.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Marlin 94 Cowboy ?

Post by J Miller »

2ndovc wrote:I was talking to one of the other forum members yesterday when I mentioned that I was planning on buying a 94 Cowboy in 45 Colt for silhouette shooting. I was supprised when he told me that a 45 Colt Cowboy he had was the only Marlin hed ever had that wouldn't shoot. Terrible accuracy.

I shot John K's.( w30cf) Cowboy / 357 at the last match and was really taken with it.

Anyone else ever have a problem with the 45 Colt Cowboy rifles or was this just a bummer from the factory?

8)
Jason,
I've had two Marlin 1894 Cowboys in .45 Colt.

The first was bought 11 years ago just after they first came out. It had the 24" octagon barrel. It was a beauty.
Great balance, good smooth action, decent trigger job.
But, it would not group. At 25 yards it was all over the paper and target board. At 50 it was key holing bullets. At 100 ... well I'm not even sure I hit the back stop.
I tried about a half dozen brands of factory ammo, and several of my proven hand loads. No good.
About that time I ran into financial trouble and had to sell it to pay some bills. I never found out what it's trouble was.

My current 1894 Cowboy is just the opposite. It will group at 25 yards into one hole with the factory bead sights. Not bad considering my crappy eyes.

So Marlin did make some stinkers.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
BHB
Levergunner

Post by BHB »

All THREE of my Marlins .45 Cowboys are great shooters!!

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Just what I wanted to know. Thanks guys!!
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"