OT – Youth Archery Nationals

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

OT – Youth Archery Nationals

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My son, known here as “Ysabel Kid’s Kid”, or more simply, “Y2K”, made the archery team at his elementary school this year. They have a 5th grade team and another one for 6th graders at the middle school. The two teams competed and the 5th graders won, representing the school system for the district “play-offs”. Well, they won again, qualifying to go to the state semi-finals last week. I was out of town on business and couldn’t change my schedule, so unfortunately missed it. However, Y2K’s school won the state semi-finals, so now he and they are going on to the nationals!

Needless to say, I’m proud as a peacock! I’ll let you all know how my lil’ William Tell does in early May!!!
:D :D :D
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT – Youth Archery Nationals

Post by Alan Wood »

Congratulations indeed. Having lived in Kalifornia for 30 years I'm suprised to here of schools where archery isn't an expulsion offence. Course when I went to high school here we had a marksmanship team. 22 caliber target rifles!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations to "Y2K" :D
I bought GK Jr. a bow when he was four. I took him to an Archery Store and they made a real fuss of him and his first "little bow" :D I used to take him to the local woods after squirrels (illegal in the UK) but folks we met just thought he was playing Robin Hood :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

That's great Jay! Are they shooting wheelie bows with sights or traditional?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Congrats. Best wishes for future success. I started into archery about the same age as him and have enjoyed it all my life. will be excited to hear more details of his equipment and such. I still compete with a FITA class bow during the off hunting seasons.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Very kewl. :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My son is almost more into archery than firearms at this point. I'll have to ask him if his school has a team. He's sure better with his bow than I ever was.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Cool :D . Archery is something I have only just gotten into. When the weather gets nicer I will set the range back up and me and the boys can get back into it.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

congratulations!!!!!!!!!!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Congratulations to both of you !!! I reckon you spent alot of practice time with him. Now get him a draw knife and a spokeshave so he can build his own. A great book to start with is by D.C. Waldorf "The Art of Making Primitive Bows And Arrows".
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Rusty wrote:That's great Jay! Are they shooting wheelie bows with sights or traditional?
Wheelie. Made by Genesis, specifically for youth archery. These are nice bows, and I'll be picking one up for him for his birthday. He already has a youth compound bow, as well as a long bow, but like with many other things we all enjoy here, the "caliber" of the equipment really makes a difference! :wink:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JerryB wrote:Congratulations to both of you !!! I reckon you spent alot of practice time with him. Now get him a draw knife and a spokeshave so he can build his own. A great book to start with is by D.C. Waldorf "The Art of Making Primitive Bows And Arrows".
Great idea - and something that would dovetail nicely into Scouting as well!!! :D
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

My wife and daughter and I went to a shoot last Sunday. It was a flight shoot with a historical flavour as in we 30-40 archers walked to a line and a great distance would be a flag from countries that Britain has been at war with. An eccentric gent would give a brief history and recite an old poem from the battle/war, blow his horn and we would all shoot together, the closest scoring etc.
Now just for you guys when we were facing the American flag and the gent suggested at the end of his ditti that Americans are tax evaders I was the only one that piped up "no taxation without representation" and immediatly orders were given to arrest me etc :lol:
It was good fun apart from my Mrs breaking one of the arrows I made her just last week and my daughter broke three and lost two :cry:

Well done Y2K.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:My son, known here as “Ysabel Kid’s Kid”, or more simply, “Y2K”, made the archery team at his elementary school this year. They have a 5th grade team and another one for 6th graders at the middle school. The two teams competed and the 5th graders won, representing the school system for the district “play-offs”. Well, they won again, qualifying to go to the state semi-finals last week. I was out of town on business and couldn’t change my schedule, so unfortunately missed it. However, Y2K’s school won the state semi-finals, so now he and they are going on to the nationals!

Needless to say, I’m proud as a peacock! I’ll let you all know how my lil’ William Tell does in early May!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Something tells me that DAD won't be missing the next one!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

horsesoldier03 wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:My son, known here as “Ysabel Kid’s Kid”, or more simply, “Y2K”, made the archery team at his elementary school this year. They have a 5th grade team and another one for 6th graders at the middle school. The two teams competed and the 5th graders won, representing the school system for the district “play-offs”. Well, they won again, qualifying to go to the state semi-finals last week. I was out of town on business and couldn’t change my schedule, so unfortunately missed it. However, Y2K’s school won the state semi-finals, so now he and they are going on to the nationals!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Something tells me that DAD won't be missing the next one!
You are correct sir! I have already put that day down for vacation! :D :D :D
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

weapons in school , oh my god they'll shoot their eyes out.

but seriously , i did not realize the education system would allow
this anymore , i had archery in school 33/35 yrs ago. from my sons
school experiences i figured that was a thing of the past. you should
find out who got this approved and thank them.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

pokey wrote:weapons in school , oh my god they'll shoot their eyes out.

but seriously , i did not realize the education system would allow
this anymore , i had archery in school 33/35 yrs ago. from my sons
school experiences i figured that was a thing of the past. you should
find out who got this approved and thank them.
It is one of the 5th grade teachers. He is also a Cub Scout leader (naturally). Really fought hard to get this program in the schools. Did all the paperwork to get a grant, purchased the equipment, and runs the whole "shooting match". This is a national program - you all should call your schools and ask them why they are not participating!