Did a bit of shooting this morning.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Did a bit of shooting this morning.

Post by Mike D. »

My intentions were good, but my memory failed me, again. I wanted to Chrono the new 300 Brnes TSX loads, but when I got to the ranch I discovered that the top piece to my tripod was missing. It should have been in the box with all the rest of my gear. Now, I have no idea where it could be. Since the Chrony couldn't be used, and I didn't want to waste the expensive TSX bullets, a few old hunting rounds were substituted. These are the 350 Speer FN fueled by 54 grs XMR 2015. The MV is somewhere in the 2300FPs vicinity and the recoil is not subtle. Even with my PAST shoulder pad, five rounds sitting is all that my skinny self can handle. :shock: IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/old86/April3-2.jpg[/IMG]

This is my six shot 50yd group. The low one was an offhand, standing, fast shot to see how quickly I could engage a target. I removed the target disc and used the sight like a ghost ring, something that is preferred for hunting. The Winchester is capable of tight groups, it's my eyes that aren't. :mrgreen: Image

I had another couple of reasons for going down there this morning. Besides shooting, I wanted to check out the newest grape plantings and also try to retrieve a Colt magazine that was dropped in the slough last year. We had removed some older zinfandel vines that were replaced by cabernet and pinot varieties. The old vines are now part of the huge burn pile that awaits the torch. :) Image

These pics, taken from the levee top, show the vineyards stretching out in the distance. The ubiquitous blackberrys in the foreground grow everywhere that isn't planted. They help to hold the levee soil in place and are home to all sorts of critters. Keeps the cottonbunnies and quail safe from guys like me, too. :lol: Long about July, it's berry pickin' time for some folks.ImageImage

Like I said earlier, retrieving my old magazine was something I wanted to try. It dropped into the slough when I was changing mags between the dock and the zodiac. I tried to drop it into my hand, but down it went, into 15' of water. I took a length of bamboo and taped a magnet to it, shoved it down to the bottom and kind of dragged it around. It only took a couple of minutes and there it was. Not too rusty, full of mud, and no bluing remaining. A soaking in oil should make it serviceable again. :oops:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Did a bit of shooting this morning.

Post by Andrew »

ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

That's awesome that you found your mag! How cool is that? That brush pile looks like it could make a lot of heat when it goes. :shock:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Great shooting Mike! Looks like a grand time....congrats on getting the mag back.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Finding that rusty mag was a bit oif luck, I'd say. My pals from the SO have been bugging me for months about that thing, so I decided to salvage it. Funny that all the finish is gone, though. .38 Super mags are kinda expensive and I hated to write that one off.

All those vines, the pear cuttings, plus all the other wood that everyone hauls down there makes for a fun day when it's lit off. The FD always shows up to play with it, too. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

looks like a good morning
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good story Mike, I enjoyed that :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Congrats on getting the mag back.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Looks like a great time was had by all. Great retrieve on the mag.
ED
Yer never too old
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very nice shooting!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Mike;
Thanks for the post and pictures. I can relate to the shock of those heavy loads.
BTW and WRT the recoil, I broke in a new Lead Sled last week with some heavy 450 gr solids .45-90 loads we are working up, and the LS was well worth the money. No jolting recoil or painful after effects. Also, when you realize there will be no unpleasantness (chipped bones, lacerated skin, purple bruises, etc), you can focus on the chrony, aiming, sight adjustment, the great big holes in the target, - all the things one should do when working up a load. :)

Plan to post pictures and results when finished.

PS after some spirited digging, we still did not locate any of the spent bullets, so they went well into the dirt back stop.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I think I may have been tempted to play the lottery after finding the magazine - seems like your luck was all good! :D