Crud...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Crud...

Post by DBW »

... got a call from my company yesterday and was informed that they would no longer let me take the truck up to Sudbury, Ontario for time off. To get home to my wife now means that I'll be parking my truck at our terminal in the Detroit area and renting a car to make the eight hour drive to the northern homestead. :cry:

The things you do for a woman. :lol:

Oh wellz.... hopefully my wife will get her house sold this summer so I can finally drag her off to Oklahoma for good after sending my step-daughter off to college this fall.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Crud...

Post by Blaine »

Good luck....that long distance stuff gets old after awhile.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

BlaineG wrote:Good luck....that long distance stuff gets old after awhile.....
It's only 472 miles. I routinely run 650 -700 on a daily basis. Just sucks that I'm gonna have to unload the dirty laundry, the dog and some of my gear into the rental car now (after Enterprise picks me up). The car rental and fuel will run me about $200 for only a few days off. That is money that could go towards gun stuff or at the least into the bank account.

Told the wife that I'll only be coming home once a month from now on. I'll be glad to get her down to the States later this year. Maybe I should have thought this out more before I married her. :lol:

I guess she's worth it though even if she's not that smart... I mean, she puts up with me... :?

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Insurance restrictions are a PIA in taking vehicles across national boundaries. Your company thinks to themselves that if anything happens, they could be out 20-50k or more for the rig as a result , or at the leasst , settlement could be tied up for months and months

As far a s the Mrs., OU football season is something that needs to be experienced here in the red state to fully understand it. (tell her that and she will either start packing quickly to get in on the fun ,, or she might burrow down to avoid all of us rednecks)

DBW -- we frequent some of the same gun shops -- be a crime not to get together for some can shootin' one of these years
----- Doug
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

DBW wrote:Image
Looks pretty "smart" to me! Worth the drive! :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Streetstar wrote:Insurance restrictions are a PIA in taking vehicles across national boundaries. Your company thinks to themselves that if anything happens, they could be out 20-50k or more for the rig as a result , or at the leasst , settlement could be tied up for months and months

As far a s the Mrs., OU football season is something that needs to be experienced here in the red state to fully understand it. (tell her that and she will either start packing quickly to get in on the fun ,, or she might burrow down to avoid all of us rednecks)

DBW -- we frequent some of the same gun shops -- be a crime not to get together for some can shootin' one of these years
Actually it has more to do with the cost of fuel than anything else. Our terminal in the Detroit area is there for the primary purpose of handling the 20 -30 truckloads that go in and out of eastern Canada daily. The problem is that with the economy the way it is the company simply can't justify the amount of fuel I would use for the 500 mile round trip from the Toronto area up to Sudbury and back just for 2 -3 days off. Since this isn't my legal residence they are under no obligation to get me up here for time off. I have no problem with their decision. Such is life as my father always said.

I'd enjoy getting together. I've tried meeting up with AJ in Indy and Bruce in Salina although time schedules and prior obligations on their part have prevented it so far.

As for OU... yeah, it's something that will be new to her though up here in Canada they go nutty over some silly sport called hockey. I don't get it myself but oh well.

@ Hobie... yeah, she's worth the drive. But she ain't that smart. Any woman that puts up with me needs to have her head examined. :lol:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Why not just buy a functional, but nasty looking thing for cash from a detroit "By Owner" classified rag and park it in the employee lot at the terminal?

Gotta cost les in the long run than renting a car & border hopping...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Old Ironsights wrote:Why not just buy a functional, but nasty looking thing for cash from a detroit "By Owner" classified rag and park it in the employee lot at the terminal?

Gotta cost les in the long run than renting a car & border hopping...
I've considered it but this is a temporary situation until my wife comes to the States later this year at which time I'll be looking at buying a newer 4x4 pickup in order to get to my land in Oklahoma (it's off the beaten path... literally).

Renting the car plus fuel runs me about $200. Rentals are new cars with less chance of breaking down on the 470 mile run. Between Barrie and Sudbury Ontario there is a 185 mile stretch of nothing but forest, lakes and mosquitos. Think Deliverance :lol:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

good luck with that travel. Your wife is definately worth it. Best of luck
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

DBW wrote:Between Barrie and Sudbury Ontario there is a 185 mile stretch of nothing but forest, lakes and mosquitos. Think Deliverance
By gum! Next time you cross the French River, your near the jumping off place where we set out by canoe to head into remote crown land for wilderness camping. Anything North of Barrie is next thing to paradise.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

There's still good places for sale in Indiana. Move here if you like gun freedom and a central location.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I know the economy is the pits right now, but I think if it were me I would start looking to drive for a company that still allows it. I no longer drive a truck, but I still keep my CDL valid. A good truck driver with a valid CDL and no violations is always a marketable skill and you can have several companies to choose from. Hope things work out for you soon. Getting home only once a month sucks!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

KirkD wrote:
DBW wrote:Between Barrie and Sudbury Ontario there is a 185 mile stretch of nothing but forest, lakes and mosquitos. Think Deliverance
By gum! Next time you cross the French River, your near the jumping off place where we set out by canoe to head into remote crown land for wilderness camping. Anything North of Barrie is next thing to paradise.
In the past four and half years of life in the Sudbury area I've gone up and down 69/400 more times than I can count. The French River area is a nice area. One of my favorite areas up here is Manitoulin Island. During the summer it actually has areas that look and feel like Oklahoma because of the cattle ranches and ceder tree growth.

Canada is a not a bad place to live. Other than myself and one older brother, all of my family still lives up here. Mom is out in Victoria, my oldest brother is north of her in Duncan. I've got two sisters down near Peterborough and Bowmanville, and a brother down in Cambridge.

My father's resting place is actually here in Sudbury.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

horsesoldier03 wrote:I know the economy is the pits right now, but I think if it were me I would start looking to drive for a company that still allows it. I no longer drive a truck, but I still keep my CDL valid. A good truck driver with a valid CDL and no violations is always a marketable skill and you can have several companies to choose from. Hope things work out for you soon. Getting home only once a month sucks!
It does suck but it's temporary. As for work I continue to get letters from former companies I drove for trying to lure me back as well as new companies trying to hire me. Since I started driving in 2002 I've never had a violation which helps keep me in the forefront of employees. Plus I'm dependable and make my appointment times on time. And even though the economy sucks the miles per week have gone back up to around 3000 which puts nearly a grand in the bank each Friday. :)
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

DBW wrote:
KirkD wrote: One of my favorite areas up here is Manitoulin Island. During the summer it actually has areas that look and feel like Oklahoma because of the cattle ranches and ceder tree growth.
Well, first of all, if you are ever in the Waterloo, Ontario area and have time for a coffee or a meal, by all means give me a call. It would be great to meet. Secondly, Manitoulin is where I harvested two Whitetail bucks this past fall. You can see photos and read about it here http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... ng#p144592
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

[quote="KirkD]Well, first of all, if you are ever in the Waterloo, Ontario area and have time for a coffee or a meal, by all means give me a call. It would be great to meet.[/quote]

I've got an older brother who lives in Cambridge. I'd enjoy meeting you when my schedule permits.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

DBW wrote:I've got an older brother who lives in Cambridge. I'd enjoy meeting you when my schedule permits.
I'll look forward to that.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

DBW wrote:

Those slacks are the wrong camo pattern for that environment . . .

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Hang in there DB...As much as I HATE moving my crud out of my little 'home away from home" I can see why you would be motivated. Don't blame you a bit.

Fortunately, I live close to our terminal and enjoy the luxury of dropping the wagon and hightailing for my driveway. My neighbors probably get tired of hearing the ol Cat idle on a cold winter night but I can hardly sleep without the sound. I have yet to convince the wife that she too would sleep better in the truck though.... :lol:

Just thankfull to be gainfully employed here in my "Semi-Retirement" days.

My Best,

scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills