22 RIMFIRE FAVORITES

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Re: 22 RIMFIRE FAVORITES

Post by Paladin »

I wish I could post photos but don’t have any with me.
I have a few over the years I have ended up with. My 1st was a single six and a Winchester model 150 that I bought before I started my military career. A couple of ruger standard 22 autos back when they only cost under $50.00. Then an S&W model 17 target when I was issued a model 19 for duty. A Walther PP, armaloyed, in .22 lr with my first AWC suppressor (that has seen lots of use on duty). Two more Ruger autos one 5 1/5 bull barrel threaded for the suppressor and a military target fitted with a Leopold scope and the same suppressor. I have purchased 3 more single six’s and given them away to nephews and a kid that ran a trap line that didn’t have a gun (I checked with his parents first). My daughter’s bearcat with a custom left hand holster with dolphins on it. My last purchase when I left my last Special Ops unit, Walther agreed to make us P-22s with the unit ID on them matching the Group coin issued by seniority of when you joined the new unit. Most of use have gotten Gemtech suppressors for them and get shot a lot as they are light, accurate, and fun.
Sorry for the length, but I am, Old.
It is not the critic who counts
99savage308
Levergunner

Post by 99savage308 »

My rimfire favs

I read all the posts on this and I got to thinking(ouch that hurt) I need to look in the safe.

My fav is: Winchester 9422 lr. Bought new in 1972 when they came out. It looks like brand new and shoots dang fine.
It's fav ammo is: Winchester SuperX 22 lr.
My fav 22 pistol is; H&R "22 Special" 22 lr: top break 9 shot 6" brl new condition
It's fav ammo is: Winchester SuperX 22 lr
My knock about pistol is: Beretta mod 948 semi-auto 22lr 9 shot mag. This is a 22 verision of the 1935 pistol made in 1951. My son has called it the James Bond pistol since he was 3. I had him shooting at 3. The kid is a natural with a pistol.
It's fav ammo is: Remington Target 22 lr

My all time favorite 22 is the Winchester 1906 pump action 22 my Father has. Myself and my sister learned how to shoot with that little rifle before we were old enough to go to school. That rifle took a lot of squirrels and shot up a lot of oil cans,back when they were made of metal, pop cans, beer cans,pop bottle lids and more. My father bought that little rifle back in 1948 from a friend for 14 dollars. It's favorite ammo was: Winchester 22 lr. He always insisted on Winchester ammo and still does. He still has that rifle and it still looks and shoots fine.
-- NRA Life Member --

--Searching for more light --

-- keep your powder dry --
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Ok I grabbed a few quick shots of the Remington 12-F Premier in gold, not great shots it's raining so it was in the garage and I had to lean against the Shelby and not a tree :D
thornblom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by thornblom »

Howdy
Last edited by thornblom on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
cpy911
Levergunner

Post by cpy911 »

I own a Winchester 94/22, Marlin Model 60 and a Ruger 10/22.
I just took the Winchester out a couple days ago. It was my dad's. He gave it to me before he died last year. Classy gun. It is accurate and loves cheap Walmart Federal.

I did a shoot from the hip, rapid fire all the rounds...and it feeds and shoots like a dream. Funnest gun I own, perhaps.

Gotta love leverguns!

Happy shootin'

God bless America!
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

wow there are some nice rimfires here mines not as nice as some of them
but just feels nice in the hand and shoots rell good
my early 9422 s-l-lr
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Big Fella
Levergunner

Post by Big Fella »

I have 4 marlin 39's. The one I shoot the most is their 1897 model, It likes the CCI Blazer ammo. My favorite 22 revolver is an old Ruger 3 screw that I got from Wes Flowers two years ago at EOT. Wes did some work on it. Oh my God is it sweet!!! I shoot the CCI Blazer ammo in it also.
Stay Safe!!!!
mudgunner49
Levergunner

Post by mudgunner49 »

I have one safe in the "Toy Room" that is pretty much dedicated to .22's, both rifle and handgun.

For long-guns the list looks like this:

a. Ruger 10-22 Sporter/Simmons 4x RF
b. Ruger 77/22 Stainless Synthetic/4x Redfield
c. Ruger 77/22 Mag/6x Weaver
d. Brno/CZ Model 2 bolt/Leupld 4x RF
e. Mossberg 144LS/target aperture rear/post front
f. Winchester 9422 TD Trapper/iron sights
g. Winchester Ranger bolt single shot/iron sights

Handguns:

a. Ruger MK1 Target, 6 7/8" adjustable sights
b. Ruger MK1 Target, 6 7/8" fixed sights
c. Ruger Single-Six .22LR/WMR, 6.5" (New Model)
d. Ruger Single-Six .22LR/WMR, 5.5" (3-Screw)
e. Smith & Wesson 63, 4" (with spare WMR cylinder)
f. Smith & Wesson 34, 4"
g. Colt .22 Automatic (pre-Woodsman), 6" (1913)
h. Smith & Wesson 2214, 3.5"

I keep lots of rimfire ammo around in a bunch of flavours, though most of the guns shoot the China-Mart Federal 36 gr HP fairly well - good thing since I have about 20K of it!!! :shock: Winchester PP is my go-to hunting round, though CCI Velocitor is making inroads. The Colt .22 Auto only shoots Remington SubSonic in deference to it's age but is deadly with it, and I am making the move on an ACU-RZR in the next few days. 8)

I currently have 21 flavours of .22 LR and WMR in my ammo locker... :D

blake
Savage King
Levergunner

Post by Savage King »

My favorite is the Savage 19nra and I use CCI ammo

JOE
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

cz 452's...marlin 39AS, NEF sportster and finally...ruger 10/22... :wink: :D

ammo selection is variable with what i'm doing at the time... :lol:
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
sonic
Levergunner

Post by sonic »

Favorite rifle is a 9422 XTR that likes CCI high velocity ammo. My old Ithica model 49 is a very close second. My Buckmark is my favorite 22 pistol. It feeds anything but shoots great with cheap Fedral bulk ammo.
ke4sky
Levergunner

Re: Trappers and Target .22s Are Best In the Survival Ruck

Post by ke4sky »

Over the years I've fooled with a variety of .22 handguns, both autopistols and revolvers, for target and field shooting. While it is true that current fashion these days seems to be one or another variation of Ruger semi-auto, I've had my share of frustration which these.

By and large out of the box the Rugers average about 1-1/2" ten-shot groups at 25 yards with standard velocity ammo of average quality. High speed ammo runs closer to two inches, if you shoot from sandbags, hand-held with iron sights. Firing off a Ransom rest improves this, but the results don't reflect the realistic expectation of field utility. Aiming and holding errors contribute as much to the "system error budget" as much as inherent accuracy or lack of it, attributable to the weapon and ammunition.

I tested many Ruger .22 auto pistols off the Ransom Rest when I worked for the company. While their potential accuracy is amazing for a gun in this price range, i.e. two inches at 50 yards from machine rest for a series of ten-shot groups with almost any ammo, and 1.6" or less with "good" ammo (which today costs over $50 a brick) the simple fact is that it's a bit hard to carry a Ransom rest along with you and ask "Mr. Wabbit" to wait while you set it up.

The Ruger trigger as it comes from the factory leaves a lot to be desired. Inconsistency of trigger pull causes fliers in your groups. Getting a match quality trigger pull with minimal creep, no hiccups and a clean break usually requires a trip to the gunsmith, and replacement of the factory parts with custom, after-market items.

If you replace any of the springs you may induce functioning problems if you use anything other than high velocity ammo. HV loads fall down in the accuracy department, so it sort of defeats the whole purpose. I don't have much use for high velocity .22 ammunition because it is generally less accurate and more noisy.

In my opinion fixed sights are best for the survival gun. You need to spend some time shooting to see which ammo works best, get a supply of that and then zero the gun, drifting the rear sight, and filing the front sight down, if needed, to obtain a good zero. Shooting outdoors is best, because lighting on indoor ranges which comes mostly from one direction will affect your zero. I recommend that fixed sights be zeroed to strike about 1 inch above point of aim at 25 yards. The factory Ruger adjustable sights are pretty poor and don't stay zeroed unless you flood them with LocTite.

Some users prefer scopes or red-dot sights. By the time you put good quality, reliable optics on one of these you run the system cost up several hundred dollars. And the "full race dragon" pistol then tips the scales at 50 ozs.! A Henry Survival, Marlin Papoose or Chipmunk youth rifle doesn't weigh much more and is easier for the average person to use to shoot camp meat.

The barrels and chambers on current generation Ruger Mk.III pistols are better than on the guns I tested back in the 1980s. New polymer frame pistols are much lighter than steel, while providing a full sized gun to hold onto. But the trigger and sight problems still exist.

By the time you buy a new Ruger Mk. III, get a professional trigger job and put good optics on it, you've invested more than you would to find and obtain a good shooter-grade Colt Woodsman or pre-war High Standard Model A or B. A modern "full race Ruger" is much more bulky and less handy than original "Target and Trapper" outdoorsmans' pistols of the 1930s and 40s, which were designed for the very backpack survival situations we talk about around the camp fire and plan for.

If you like single-actions the Ruger Single-Six is a real sleeper. I find mine much more useful than the Bearcat it replaced. The Bearcat's fixed sights seem to always shoot low and right and a flyweight revolver with short barrel is difficult to shoot any better than body-sized bunny groups. For serious field work the Single Six needs better sights. I put Bowen Rough Country ones on mine and they are well worth it. I prefer the Single Six in the .32 HRM caliber as a trail gun because that option gives you many reloading options, flatter trajectory which makes reliable game hits to 100 yards possible, useful field energy approximating the .32-20 Winchester, all in a trim field gun, with better accuracy than all but the best .22s.

I recently put Dad's ca. 1942 Colt Sport 4-1/2" barrel Woodsman through its paces. I tested it hand-held on sandbags, indoors at 25 yards using the orginal irons sights, aiming at the Standard American B8 target. I fired five consecutive ten-shot groups with several ammos. I then compared those results against similar samples fired with some borrowed modern auto pistols and older .22 revolvers and auto pistols were deemed "good shooters" in their day.

The auto pistol data below are averages of five consecutive 10-shot groups at 25 yards. Both Rugers were fired using a 4X Leupold pistol scope to do a better job of testing the pistols, rather than the ability of this old fanny burp to see the sights! The High Standard Victor is a well proven match gun used by a Master competitive shooter friend of mine, which I intended as sort of a benchmark. I shot it as well hand-held at 25 yards off handbags with my 59 year-old eyes as the gun will do at 50 yards with the same ammo off the Ransom rest. So, that, my friends, is the measure of truth and reality!

The High Standard Model B is 1942 production with 6-3/4" barrel which was a retired bush pilot's actual Alaska survival gun. I shot some old ammo from the survival seat pack that used to ride in his Dehavilland Otter, as well as some newer stuff.

The Beretta 70S is the ca. 1968 "Jaguar" model which used to be imported into the US. This is the lightest 6" barrel .22 autoloader I have ever seen, weighing only 20 oz. These also came in 2-barrel sets with 3.5" and 6" barrels. They are difficult to shoot accurately, but are quality guns if you can find one.

*Two High Standard Sentinel revolvers tested are both fixed sight 9-shooters found at pawn shops for around $150. These are ugly very serviceable if found in good mechanical condition which time and index well, without noticeable cylinder end play. I fired one 9-shot cylinder load in each per group.

**The Colt Officer's Model Match was made in 1959 and is a target grade revolver, a 6-shooter. In it I fired TWO cylinder loads, totalling 12 shots per group.

The Walther P.22 was a current model and afterthought which illustrates my disappointment with the current offerings of compact .22 pistols. It is barely accurate enough for combat silhouette targets. As a kid I could shoot my Whamo slingshot more precisely than this!

Gun Bbl.Length Sights Ammo Avg. ES(Ins.) 5x10@25yds*

1942 Colt Woodsman 4-1/2" irons
CCI Std. (USA) 1.5"
CCI Blazer (USA) 2.0"
Eley Std (UK) 1.25"

1942 High Standard Model B, 6/3/4" irons
"Sterile Package Brown Box" FMJ Ball M24 2.0"
Canuck (1965) HP 2.2"
CCI Blazer (USA) 1.85"
Eley Standard (UK) 1.5"

HS Victor 5-1/2" irons
Eley Std. (UK) 1.0"
Eley Sport (Mexico) 1.3"

HS Sentinel R107 revolver 4" irons
CCI Std. (USA) 2.6"*
Eley Std. (UK) 2.3"*
Eley Sport (Mexico) 2.3"*
CCI Blaser (USA) 2.3"*
Winchester Super-X (USA) 2.7*

HS Sentinel R103 revolver 6" irons
Eley Sport (Mexico) 2"*
CCI Blaser (USA) 2.2"*
Winchester Super-X (USA) 2.5"*

Ruger MkI 6-7/8" 4X Leupold
CCI Std. (USA) 1.5"
CCI Blazer (USA) 2"
Eley Sport (Mexico) 1.1"

Ruger Mk.III 5-1/2" 4X Leupold
Eley Std. (UK) 1.25"
Eley Sport (Mexico) 1.25"

Walther P22 3.5" irons
CCI Std. (USA) 4"
CCI Blazer (USA) 5"+

Beretta 70S 6" irons
Eley Std. (UK) 2"

Colt OM revolver 6" irons
Eley Std. (UK) 2" **
Eley Sport (Mexico) 2"**
CCI Blaser (USA) 2"**

Your mileage may vary, but I haven't seen anything in the .22 handguns which is going to make me want to replace my old Colts or High Standards... If you search around you can still find a serviceable Colt Woodsman, Huntsman or Challenger for around $700-900, depending upon condition.

A High Standard Model A, B, GB, D, H-B, or H-D in similar VG to Exc. condition sell for $100-200 less than a Colt in similar condition. The High Standard Model B uses the same magazines as the pre-war Colt Woodsman and is similarly trim, light and accurate. High Standards in serviceable condition are common on web sites such as Cabela's Gun Library, and are worth looking for to have shipped to your FFL dealer, if you are serious about finding a .22 pistol for your survival ruck or mere as a collectible plinker you can hand down to your grandkids.

Every vintage Colt or High Standard .22 autopistol I've shot, if not abused, shoots just these. A used High Standard costs less than a new Ruger. A good used Colt costs less than buying the Ruger and then having it ""tricked out" by a gunsmith. The classic trapper's .22 autos are more handy in the ruck and still worth EVERY penny!

Surprisingly, an older inexpensive .22 revolver may shoot as well as a newer, more expensive one. If you can find one of the H&R Sportsman, High Standard Double-Nine or Sentinel 9-shot .22 revolvers, tight and in good mechanical condition, and for less than $200, don't pass it up. You may be pleasantly surprised. Test fire it by cutting the corner out of a Kraft paper grocery bag, poke the muzzle out and fire a cylinder load through it double-action. Inspect the bag to see if any lead fragments cut holes when exiting the sides of the bag. If not, it's a keeper. Clean it well, and shoot GREASED or WAXED, UNPLATED ammo in it. Avoid plated, dry-lubed bullets in revolvers, because they lead up the forcing cone and cylinder throats, destroying accuracy.

Ordinary CCI Standard Velocity, the CCI High Velocity Small Game Bullet (SG, CCI Subsonic Hollow-Point and Eley Sport are the best bang for the buck. Some batches of CCI Blazer shoot OK, but you need to test. I find the "black Bullet with Jelly Jar Wax" - Lewiston, ID production better in my guns than the "Naked White Bright Bullet" - Federal-ATK Anoka, MN product. The CCI Subsonic HP is the only standard velocity round I have found which expands reliably in water jugs to over .35 cal. from my 4-1/2" Woodsman. Of the high velocity rounds the Winchester Power Point was best. Getting expansion from .22 revolvers is problematic because the cylinder gap reduces velocity and any cylinder misalignment causes asymmetical scrubbing which accentuates initial yaw as the bullet leaves the muzzle.

In water-jug I have found that the same bullets which expand well from my 4-1/2" Woodsman still do not from revolvers. In revolvers you are better off with solids. High velocity is OK if you can find a batch of unplated, waxed or greased ammo, such as "Black Bullet Lewiston Blazer" that is accurate. I use the Hanned SGB die to clip the noses off to make flat points, which are more effective.

About 25 years ago I went through a succession of S&W .22 Kit Guns and K-22 revolvers. I didn't find any that would average consistently less than 2" at 25 yards hand held off handbags. A few were better than that on the Ransom Rest, but Dad's Woodsman put them all to shame when fired off sandbags.

So practice with your .22 handgun frequently from a field position, using the sights you've got. Use a Para cord lanyard to steady it unless you can get Mr. Wabbit to stay STILL while you settle the gun in your Ransom rest, yeah, right? 8-)
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

Sounds like you currently work for Ruger?
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA, ISRA, AF&AM Pontiac #294
LIUNA #996 for the last 32 years, retired after 34 years.
ke4sky
Levergunner

Post by ke4sky »

S.B. wrote:Sounds like you currently work for Ruger?
Not since 1987. I was on the NRA Tech Staff for 12 years after I got out of the military, worked at the Marine Corps Development Center at Quantico, VA for a while during the M16A2 Development and Operational Test, then in Ruger product engineering and later as QA manager for Newport, NH Operations in the mid-1980s. Since 1987 I've worked in our County Department of Public Works. Since 2001 primary duties have been in Infrastructure Protection, Emergency Support Function 3 - Damage Assessment and Engineering, Debris Management, Operations Support.

My shooting has been more enjoyable since it became a hobby again.
wcjim
Levergunner

Post by wcjim »

I have a henry lever action and for handguns i have a ruger single action with the long rifle and magnum cylinder,and a ruger mk2 auto.I like the single action and want to put a bisely grip frame on it to make it closer to my big bore for practice.
Tumbleweeds
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tumbleweeds »

My favorite .22 is a Savage 19 NRA match rifle. My grandfather taught me to shoot with it, and it has been mine since he died in 1972. The other RF rifle is a late model Marlin 39a, and it does most of the hunting.

I recently acquired a 12" match barrel for a Contender, to break it in and practice for CF loads, and that is quite a revelation. That pistol will put them all in one hole with Eley match ammo and a steady hold. For banging around, though, I carry a Ruger 22/45 Mark II "Target" with a 5" bull barrel.

I've had others, and I could easily enjoy 100 if I had them. My brother still shoots the Nylon 66 he bought used ca. 1964, and that's fun too.
OK, OK, I made the jump.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

I should be tired of posting these pictures - but I'm not :D

9422 Trapper / 9422

9422 Trapper case coloring
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

Ruger 10-22 Jeff Cooper Special mods from Midwayusa:,red dot scout scope, SS 23" match barrel,fajen laminated stock that fits my 6'2" large frame;very accurate.Remington Nylon 11 with Weaver B4 22 scope,shoots shorts,longs & long rifle, I use 22 cb caps on varmints with deadly results,Marlin 60 semiauto 22lr cheap 22 scope.S & W Mod 17-4 6" barrel,TT,TH,TG & TS;Colt 1991A1 with a Wilson 22 conversion kit,Lipseys' Special SS Ruger Single Six,4 5/8" barrel,adj sights,22 & 22 mag cylinders.All of my Rugers get Hogue Rubber Grips to fit my hands
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

My first .22 was a Remington model 514, cheap little single shot bolt gun, but happens to be a very accurate shooter. I still have it in pristine condition 52 years after getting it at age 12 years. My dad had a Winchester model 74 that was still like new at that time, I have had it also for 25 years now, excellent rifle. The wifes dad gave me his model 74, mint condition, last year. I think the model 74 Win. is all the .22 I can shoot, very enjoyable and accurate.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Possibly my favorite .22 rifle is actually my Winchester 9422mag. However my favorite .22 long rifle is a Browning Grade II BL22, but I also have a Marlin 39M with a Oct. barrel that I like.

However, the .22 rifle that has probably killed the most game for me, mainly because I have owned it for many years is an old Ruger 10/22 with a pistol grip choat plastic stock and an old 4 power Redfield.

My favorite .22 handgun for hunting and plinking probably has to be a Smith and Wesson K22 doubleaction revolver, with a close second being a Ruger Stainless single six. My favorite .22 competition handgun, which helped me win many trophys, was a Smith and Wesson model 41 semi-auto. As far as I am concerned the Smith model 41 is the finest semi-auto .22 every made, and the Smith K22 is the finest double action revolver ever made in .22 caliber.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Jager01
Levergunner

Post by Jager01 »

I have a Henry large loop, it is alright, I love an old savage pump that I love but needs a trip to the smith. Looking forward to getting a nice Ruger target pistol here in the future. I would say the Henry sights are the weakest part of the rifle.
slickrock
Levergunner

Post by slickrock »

I don't have miles of guns as some do on here, but my Favorite is my Winchester 9422.

I shoot alot and was having trouble with it the 6 th year I had it, drove it back to Winchester and sat reading by the bigger than life size John Wayne bronze statue and a young lady came out and showed me the parts they replaced, asking how much I shoot the rifle, I told her and she said, huh, still shouldn't have had a problem, briung it back every eyar and we'll keep her tuned up for you.

I asked what I owed and she smiled and said, " Winchesters Don't Wear Out, come back and see us soon, and get a 22 mag to go with this one."

and that was the USRAC at the time! good folks I hope the levers are being made again soon.
Member of the old site since June 2003
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I have a pair of Iver Johnson TP-22's both shoot well with Remington High Velocity Hollow Points, and one of them tries to act like a target pistol with Reminton Yellow Jackets.

My Ruger Single-Six Magnum does best with gilded Winchester H-V Hollow Points as does my old Marlin Golden Model 39.

Oddly enough, the best groups I recall from my Marlin M-39 were produced by some el cheapo ArmsCorp Standard Velocity solids. At 40 yards, an entire magazine went into a spot the size of a US Quarter, and that was using a $10.00 4x Tasco Scope with a 3/4" tube. That same ammo needed to be warmed for half an hour on the dashboard of my car under the summer sun before it had enough pressure to even cycle my older TP-22, but it was danged sure accurate.

Neither of my other .22's shoot appreciably better with one brand or type than another. One is consistently mediocre and the other has appalling accuracy with anything it manages to shoot.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Henry H001 .22 LR shooting Aguila supe maximums. Dirty as hell, but it shoots awful nice; keeps 'em in a gopher hole at 200 yards with iron sights.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
bobbyjack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bobbyjack »

Wow you guys have some really beautiful guns,my favorite is my 1890 in WRF,and a nine shot revolver made for Western Auto in 1950(it's a revelation mod 99)and get this it's Ser# is 1950922.

How wierd is that? It might be one of the first ones made or such.

Bob :)
D.A.C.
Levergunner

Post by D.A.C. »

I have an old Ruger Mk I, that I picked up for around $115 at a pawnshop that seems to shoot anything well. The finish is worn, and someone dinged up the frame a little drifting the rear sight over, but I don't worry with it too much, and just shoot the blamed thing. My recent favorite rimfire is a S&W 17-4 with a six inch barrel, that I bought mint in the box/w/tools, for $400 at another pawnshop a few weeks ago. I bought it for a shooter since it is mint in everyway but one little sub-dime sized spot under the latch. It shoots great too, but like most of my rimfires, seems to prefer Aguila 40gr solids. I've been looking for a 17 in decent shape for a fair price for 15 years...ever since I was a teenager lusting after one. Its a bit of a dream come true to finally have a great one, that'll shoot. I need to clean it now, because I shot it every afternoon for the first couple of weeks, then blasted over a brick through it in one afternoon about a week ago. I have several semiauto rifles that do okay. My next rimfire will be a levergun or one of those great CZ Mannicher stocked rimfires.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

bobbyjack wrote:Wow you guys have some really beautiful guns,my favorite is my 1890 in WRF,and a nine shot revolver made for Western Auto in 1950(it's a revelation mod 99)and get this it's Ser# is 1950922.

How wierd is that? It might be one of the first ones made or such.

Bob :)
I met a guy with a Ruger flat top .44 mag.. Serial number ....... 1911! Too bad it was an heirloom; I offered him anything I could to get it. Unfortunately, he's not really a gun guy,and he had more money thanI probably ever will.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Learned to shoot pistols with Dads Ruger Single Six... he sold it ... I have just not bought one myself over the years but I will one day.

Favorite rifles...

67 vintage Marlin 39... no scope...factory irons... I like the weight ...hangs just right for offhand shooting... digests any ammo very well...hunts with mini-mags

Ruger 77/22.. Simmons 4x... if I had to do it over I'd have bought the sister to it that day... with the bull barrel. It took me a long time to warm up to the Ruger... too light up front. Its a tack driver from supported positions however... this rifle will shoot 50 rounds into one quarter sized hole at 50 yards (prone) all day... and is almost as good at 100 yards if the wind isnt howling.

My Uncle had a Belgian Browning .22 auto.... been looking for one of those ... some of my early shooting education came from that little rifle.

Remington Speedmaster (K3 Weaver)... again... its bore heavy and shoots good for me. plinks good with whatever its fed..hunts with CCI Mini-mags. Tree rats quake when this rifle enters a pecan grove.

SW 18 4 inch will be pried from my cold dead hands at some point I am sure. I have a 6 inch K (thanks 45-70 I got the best of that deal) that is a close second.
There is an unfired Colt Trooper Mark III in the safe... I dont think I'd shoot it well...seems a bit big in the grip and I like SW K frames better anyway.

Hill
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
AZ Desertrat
Levergunner

Post by AZ Desertrat »

I have an old, Browning Auto .22 that was purchased in 1964 and still going strong.....it is made in Belgium
with the French walnut stock. I would imagine I have over 150,000 rounds thru it.
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." Robert E. Lee
been2c
Levergunner

Post by been2c »

I once had a Cooper that was scary accurate but just to dang pretty to take to the woods. That got traded for something (???). I'm putting together a 10-22 at the moment. we'll see how that turns out. I haven't replaced my stolen Ruger 5 1/2" Mark heavy barrel as yet. I haven't decided on what to get. I'm basically a revolver guy but still looking. Maybe the feds will decide I don't need one at all.
jim
Life Member: NRA, LEAA & TSRA
donsbook
Levergunner

Post by donsbook »

Well, I especially like the Marlin 39A I purchased from a Walmart store (many years ago) for $69. It was a new store and it was Christmas time....AND, they ran an ad in a local paper advertising the Marlin lever action .22 for $69. They even encluded a picture of the Marlin 39A. Tried to buy one and was told by the manager they didn't even stock that rifle, and it was a mistake by the paper. So, I wrote Sam Walton in AR and send him a cut-out of the paper ad. Also, mentioned the store didn't sell that particular rifle. Months later (actually Feb.) the store manager called and asked me to "Please" come pick up my rifle! Sam Walton had picked out a rifle with some extras and sent it to the manager and instructed him to sell me the rifle at the posted price in the paper!

I've always enjoyed the rifle and the letter that came with it! I have a couple of Ruger 10/22 rifles...one is a target version. Also, Marlin Papoose, a Browning take apart automatic rifle, a Winchester XTR lever action in .22 mag, a couple of Ruger Single Six's...one in stainless steel, a couple of Ruger .22 autos with one a Mark I target pistol, an H&R (949 I think) that holds 9 rounds, and maybe a few more....I can't remember.

I like to use mostly CCI ammo and stingers are my favorite. However, I have just about every other type of .22 ammo that I purchased for my retirement. Figured that once I retired I might not be able to afford all the ammo I'd like to hunt and plink with. With the way prices are going up I'm glad I stocked up many years ago! :D
Don
NRA Endowment Member
Madcaster
Levergunner

Post by Madcaster »

Lately I have really been wanting a Remington #4 in .22LR.... :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Since I first posted, I have only one of the firearms I had when I posted. the 39 TDS is with me and the Walther PP, both shoot CCI mini mags very well. here is the walther:

Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

This is way off of a levergun but I was just looking for a photo of something else and found a pile of (well mostly) my "older" 22's. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Gday all
Win Powerpoints in my BRNO now CZ circa 1982 bolt action, RWS HV hollow points would run a close second, but they are more expensive. Win supreme used to be very good too, but have not seen them for a few years.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

Last edited by TX Gun Runner on Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image..Image
Image......Image
Smokin Gun
Levergunner

Post by Smokin Gun »

Seein' how I just did some horse tradin' for this Winchester Model 270 Pump .22 it's my new favorite at the moment. It's somewhere around 1968 vintage from what I know so far. It is old enough to come with a Cornell 4x20 scope.
I'll have to resize my pics, maybe next time I'll show ya.

SG
43rd Virginia Cav. Bn. CSA Mosby's Rangers
oldgoodstuff57
Levergunner

Post by oldgoodstuff57 »

Smokin Gun wrote:Seein' how I just did some horse tradin' for this Winchester Model 270 Pump .22 it's my new favorite at the moment. It's somewhere around 1968 vintage from what I know so far. It is old enough to come with a Cornell 4x20 scope.
I'll have to resize my pics, maybe next time I'll show you.
SG
We are still waiting. :roll:
I don't go looking for trouble, it just that trouble seems to find me
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I have 6 handguns in 22, the favorite by a long way is my Freedom Arms 252 which loves Eley Rifle Target :D :D

Of my two rifles in 22 (a Winchester 9422 and Browning BL22) I prefer the Browning and it is deadly accurate with CCI Stingers, however I have a line on a Marlin 39A which may change my mind when I get :!: :!:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
horsefly
Levergunner

Post by horsefly »

Like most of the pohttp://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm193/varmithunter/?action=view&current=100_1039.jpgsters, my "favorite" has changed over the years. My family hand-me-down Rem mdl 24 was what I learned to shoot with. Killed everything from rabits to squirrels to pheasants on the run or in the air with it. Moved on when I retired the 24 in 1954 to a Win. Mdl 62A. It did everything my Rem 24 did in spades. Then somebody stole it. In 1962 I bought a Browning Mdl 241 and was back in heaven, though I still missed my Winchester. Though not a Win. I bought a Rossi clone in 1980 or so and it shoots as good as the 62A, but it still isn't a 62A. I picked up an old Mossberg 44b target rifle for the heck of it in 64 and still shoot it a bit. Quite accurate for what it is. More recently I bought a Henry H001. Now that is a heck of a lot of fun to shoot. I used to envy my brother-in-law's Marlin 39 - still do, but the Henry eases the pain. I have a early model single six, a Ruger Standard, a Browning Camo Camper and a couple S&Ws - Mdl 19 .357 and a Sigma .380. Love them all, but probably the Browning 241 is my go to when squirrels need to be harvested. :D HF
Hunters and Fishermen: The first environmentalists are still the best!
ace1001
Levergunner

Post by ace1001 »

A 9422 Winchester will shoot ANY 22LR ammo as good as it is capable of. Moreover it will pull the case out so you can see if there is a bullet and then it will put it right back. The only thing better is that a 92 will EJECT the case and close the action without ramping a live round. The 1890- 06- 62 actions could wear out 2 barrels. It is yet to be proven that the newer guns will do this. Ace
horsefly
Levergunner

Post by horsefly »

Ace 1001 - I have a 1906 coming. Should get it next week. it has been badly mistreated for a long time so I have my work cut out for me, but I can hardly wait to get it. It will help heal the wound of my long ago stolen 62A. Not completely, but it will help.
Hunters and Fishermen: The first environmentalists are still the best!
RJM52
Levergunner

Post by RJM52 »

At this point I can honestly say I have no clue how many .22 rifles or handguns I have... I teach NRA courses in both rifle and pistol as well as a 4H Shooting Sports program and lots of .22s seem to have been accumulated to be loaned to aspiring shooters.

As to favorites... I guess the last in the house would be a 10/22. This one was a WalMart exclusive and was only sold for a year. It has a black and gray laminated full length International style stock and has a stainless barrel and matching aluminum receiver. On top is a Weaver base, Weaver extended 4x4 mounts and a Shepherd 3.5-10x40mm scope. Lots of fun to shoot and while not the most accurate rifle in the stable it will do what I need a .22 to do. It has been perfectly reliable with all ammo. The most important thing to me is fit...the gun just comes right up and points perfectly. The other day I was charged by a rabid skunk that had been chasing my Lab around the yard... Ever try hitting a small charging target at 8' and closing with a scoped rifle... Never point shot a rifle before but this one put 3/3 on the skunk in about 1 second...

"A" .22 handgun...this is even less pleasant to ponder than "a" .22 rifle. Top contenders would be:
S&W M53 22 Jet with the extra Rimfire cylinder
Colt 70s vinatge ACE with an extra Marvel Longslide match upper
S&W M63 with an extra .22 Magnum cylinder
Ruger Single-Six Hunter 7.5" .22/.22 Magnum
US Firearms 5.5" Single Action Flat Top Target .22/.22 Magnum

The M53 has been with me since 1974 or so... Was my only .22 handgun for many years and killed a lot of small game with both the Jet and rimfire cylinders. If this was "the last" .22 handgun the only thing I would do is try and find another .22 rimfire cylinder for it and have it rechambered to .22 Magnum.

The ACE is a wonderful shooter and with the Marvel unit onboard just become a one-hole shooting machine...

The 63 being stainless is great while fishing, backpacking and anything where a gun may get wet for extended periods.

The SS Hunter put 9/9 rounds of .22 Magnum in a thumbnail size group at 25 yards with a 4 power scope...

The Flat Top target is very accurate with both cylinders and is just plain good looking...

It would come down to the ACE or the M53....just too close to call...

Bob
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Remington Target rifle followed by my 10-22 T target rifle. I am not discriminatory in what i feed them , as i am not going for BR-50 points or anything. The little Henry is always a blast

The 10/22 has lately turned into a stove-pipin' *** though, regardless of how clean it may be . I have had a couple in the past that were maintenance free --- edges of the extractor still look good -- any ideas?

----- Doug
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Tired recoil spring.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

I have several that I like and a couple I really like.

The 1947 Mossberg 46B(b) is the best.

Number 2 would be the Ruger 10/22 custom target.

Then the 1916 Marlin Model 37.

Pistol is a hands down favorite of my Springfield Armory Champion with a Cenier 22 kit.

They all have no issues with the Federal 36 grain High Velocity in the 550 Value Pack.
The 1951 Marlin is still in rehab and will probably bump the Model 37.
hocbj23
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hocbj23 »

Marlin Model 60W rifle (scoped) and a tossup between a High Standard M1907 HD Military and a Colt 1911 with a Ciener .22 conversion,target grips and Trijicon sights..They are all omnivores and will eat anything u put in them.BJ
RJM52
Levergunner

Post by RJM52 »

Streetstar... I have two 10/22s, the above described laminated International and a Race which is just like your Target Model but in the Barracuda laminated stock...it was also slowly became a jam-a-matic no mater what fed...until I changed the magazine that came with it... Suddenly no more ammo issues.

Bob
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My favorite .22 rimfire was my Model 52B heavy target, but then I found my Zettler Bros. Ballard schuetzen rifle in .22 short, and everything changed! The 52 is super accurate, but the Zettler Ballard is a bit more accurate, and just a wonderful fit for me. Love the looks, feel, and accuracy, and it will shoot into the same hole all day at 50 yds., if I do my part.
It's fitted with a Stevens 438 scope, and a rare set of HM Pope scope mounts, with Pope buttplate, and full octagon #3 weight barrel. The base rifle was a #6 Offhand.

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/