Went to a gun show today and ticked off the wife.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Went to a gun show today and ticked off the wife.

Post by JReed »

Well I got a chance to go to a gun show today here in Ft. Wayne. I have been looking for Mossin 91/30 in good shape for a few years now at a price that I felt comfortable with. Well I finnaly found one today it is a Izhevsk 1942 all numbers matching gun. The finish in the stock is in great shape with just a few handeling marks. From what I could see of the bore through the cosmoline the bore is in good shape with strong lands and groves. The rifle came with the bayonet, cartridge pouch, and sling all told for $125 out the door. I will have to take some pic's later.

Now the down side. While I was out my wife was online balancing the acounts :shock: So she and I had a pleasant conversation when I got home about my new found treasure :oops: . Think I will be sleeping on the couch the rest of the weekend.
Last edited by JReed on Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Went to a gun show today and ticked off the wife.

Post by Blaine »

Congrats on the rifle. Round up an extra blanket, I guess.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

When you walk in the door from the gun show with a rifle in your hand, you say to your wife..... "darn, I couldn't find a single sucker at the gun show would would bite on this thing! Maybe I will have better luck next time in pawning it off on some fool!". Lean it against the wall and go and pop open a beer.

I didn't get this old without learning a few tricks on how to deal with women. :evil:
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jeremy,
Use psychology-----you jump in the bed and she will leave----when she leaves, you say, "Good, more room for me" :D
Yea, I remember those days. My in-laws live two doors down and my wife used to spend the nights there, sometimes several days at a time. When I was a young man in my twenties, it used to bother me, but as I got older, I liked it. :D By the time I was forty, I even lied and ran the price up on guns by several hundred dollars just so she would go for a few days.

One day I drove home in a new Jeep Rubicon (with the title :D ) and she said, "Where did you get the money?" I said, "I sold a few Winchesters."

She don't bother me no more :wink: :wink:

-------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Charles wrote:When you walk in the door from the gun show with a rifle in your hand, you say to your wife..... "darn, I couldn't find a single sucker at the gun show would would bite on this thing! Maybe I will have better luck next time in pawning it off on some fool!". Lean it against the wall and go and pop open a beer.

I didn't get this old without learning a few tricks on how to deal with women. :evil:
I will have to try that next time. :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sorry to hear about your marital friction. I'm sure she'll get over it.

My wife gave me a dressing down here a while back stating we've got a shop to build, other house project so no more guns. I bought an older stevens SXS and got it put into the safe without her knowing. I'm in the habit of keeping receipts so I put the receipt in my wallet telling myself to remove it before turning them in. The wife files them for tax purposes. After a while I clean out my receipts and forgot about the shotgun receipt. Well, I was caught. She got over it after a short while. :oops:
Old Law Dawg
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

My wife is an avid golfer. I kinda keep track of her golf expenses and compute my gun expenditures to more or less match. We get along fine!! :D

OTOH, if you get a nice Nagant for $125 and two nights on the couch, doesnt sound like too bad a deal!! :lol:

PS, got those stripes sewed on yet?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have a weekly budget to spend. Anything I don't spend goes in a special place. When I see one of the $125 specials I go to the place.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Yeah, you got to tick them off once in a while or they start to think we're perfect all the time. :lol:
NRA Life Member
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Just don't use the tactic a longtime family friend tried once. The conversation was along the lines of:

Have you been mad at me before?

Yes!

Do you think you'll ever get mad at me again?

Yes!

Then what's the big deal about this time?

:lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

As long as the required things get done and paid for, we got no issues.

It's been a long time since I thought I had to explain a new gun.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JReed wrote: Think I will be sleeping on the couch the rest of the weekend.
You could try putting a little nightie on the gun and snuggling up next to it on the couch, just to be funny....

....or not.

I keep an old empty gun case in the truck and even if I get a pristine collector-grade something-or-other, I stop someplace, put the new toy in the old case, and ditch the packaging. Then when I casually drag in the old battered up case (if the gun isn't fragile, dropping it a time or two and not acting that concerned helps), I just stick it in the corner like I don't really care much about it, and mutter to my son (he's in on the 'system') "We need to fix the scope mount on the truck gun, it came loose again..." Later on, we'll be at work on our 'project' when mom's busy.

Now I have to admit, my wife does actually know about this little 'game' but has decided it keeps her blood pressure down better if she looks the other way and pretends not to know what's going on.

Still it is kind of like Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn where they sneak Jim out of the shed he's "locked in" even though he was really free to go.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
HATCHETTJACK
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HATCHETTJACK »

yall are whipped :mrgreen:
WATCH YOUR TOP KNOT
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

awp101 wrote:Just don't use the tactic a longtime family friend tried once. The conversation was along the lines of:

Have you been mad at me before?

Yes!

Do you think you'll ever get mad at me again?

Yes!

Then what's the big deal about this time?

And then the fight started!
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Didn't you just get another stripe? I think you earned this.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

jdad wrote:Didn't you just get another stripe? I think you earned this.
That's for sure!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

2ndovc wrote:
jdad wrote:Didn't you just get another stripe? I think you earned this.
That's for sure!!

jb 8)
I used to get myself something every time I graduated a major school or got promoted. The FIRST time my SECOND wife said something I explained that pretty matter of factly and had no repercussions after. Frankly, my wife is simply uninterested in my shooting stuff except as possible dollars after my demise. I don't think she even looks at it. I sure don't wave it in her face! :lol:

Seriously. I'd just say finding the gun was a perfect cap to a good week and that the whole week was spoiled. I'd crawl right on into MY bed same as usual. Never would speak of it again.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
DarryH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DarryH »

I tried to get the "Sack-Ups" company that makes those nice
silicone impregnated gun sleeves to make some with my saying on it.

"My wife doesn't know about this one."

That should solve all our problems...right??

Actually, I have it pretty good around here. First, I quit smoking when I met her, (about 26 years ago), then pretty much quit drinking (about 20 years ago), and it really hasn't hurt me.
I saved a lot of money and brain cells by giving up the first two things.
What she really hasn't figured out, is how I trained her!!!!!

I owned about 100 guns when I met her. About a year before we got married, I sold half the guns to make the down payment on our first house. I made a killing on the gun sales, so this didn't bother me.
Then, one week before the wedding, I bought a brand new motorcycle. The training had now begun.
Later this same year, we had to attend a big family reunion in another state. I sold my Colt 45 Lite weight Commando and shoulder holster to financethe trip.
We lived free and happy.....coincidentally....kidless, for 10 years.
A lot of guns came and went. Then we decided to adopt a Korean child. (He is now 15, almost 16) I needed $12,000.00 for this to happen. Even though I had borrowed multiple times from our bank, I had never used the guns as collateral. Being a small town, the banker knew I had them, and had asked before if I wanted to use them as collateral for a loan. I had always refused. This time when he asked that question, I told him I would put my guns up as collateral. He raised his eyebrows and started writing. Once everything was signed we got up to leave his office. Almost as an afterthoguht, he said, "I will need a list of the guns for the paperwork. I agreed, and that was that.
Again, years passed, and many guns came and went. Once in a while I sold some to pay a bill or two, but none that I would really miss. We figure I have owned 500-600 guns since we met.
I never kept a lot around, I had too much fun trying new ones, and learning from the experience.
About a year ago....I came home with another gun. My wife was sitting on the sofa when I came in the house. She looked up, and in a lazy, questioning voice, said, "what, another one".
I cracked up. I told her than in all the years we had been married, and with all the guns that had come and gone, she had NEVER said those words to me before!!!! I still laugh about it.
............Hey........now that I proofread this..................
who trained who???????????????

Good Shootin!!
DarryH
Nebraska
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Hey - at least you got a gun out of the deal.

Sure beats just tickin' the wife off............. :lol:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

stretch wrote:Hey - at least you got a gun out of the deal.

You do have a valid point. :lol:
Tomorow I will clean off most of the cosmo and snap a few pictures for you all.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Men don't mind sleeping on the couch....it's kinda like campin.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Bullard4075 wrote:Men don't mind sleeping on the couch....it's kinda like campin.
That's good. :D
Old Law Dawg
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

JReed wrote:Now the down side. While I was out my wife was online balancing the acounts :shock: So she and I had a pleasant conversation when I got home about my new found treasure :oops: . Think I will be sleeping on the couch the rest of the weekend.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

DBW wrote:
JReed wrote:Now the down side. While I was out my wife was online balancing the acounts :shock: So she and I had a pleasant conversation when I got home about my new found treasure :oops: . Think I will be sleeping on the couch the rest of the weekend.

Hey does spending all day today bailing out my flooded basement count it did invole a sump pump and a lot of fowl language.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Jeremy,

I've explained to the "Current" Mrs. that I've never spent more on a firearm than it's worth and that they increase in value faster that the Market and a far
safer investment.

I've shown her first hand selling arms that I bought for $70-100 five/ten years ago for $200- 800 or more depending on what it is.

Those 91/30s may be common now but so were Japanese Arisakas 20 yrs ago. Now those $50 rifles that I saw when I was a kid are going for 200 to 500 bucks(or more) depending on what they are.

It's all realitive. The Boss Lady would be thrilled if I only spent $125 at a show. She gets bent these days when it's over 2K.

You'll get there. I did't buy my first $1000 shooter until I was in my late 30's.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

stretch wrote:Hey - at least you got a gun out of the deal.

Which is often all I accomplish in the process!

Jeremy, you earned this and it is a good deal. She'll get over it.

Like others, I bring in guns without telling the wife. I figure I earn the money, I don't put us at risk with my "hobby", and I'm going to do it whether she approves or not, so there is no point in picking a fight!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hobie wrote:Frankly, my wife is simply uninterested in my shooting stuff except as possible dollars after my demise.
That is a good thing to point out to her - they ARE a valuable investment, and basically hers to sell if you precede her in death. (Just don't make her too tempted...!)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

JR,

Just point to that second rocker and tell her...

"I'll flip you for it" :lol:
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

JReed, I can get away with dropping a couple hundred bucks at a gun show IF I don't bring home a gun. I can also get away with buying a gun on the down low and sneaking it into the house because the wife can't keep track of the guns I currently own. Every once in a while she'll see me with a particular gun and say "When did you get that?", and I'll typically give some vague reply like I don't remember. But she sure checks my hands when I come home from a gun show!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I brought home a Marlin once and my wife looked at me and said " If your going to buy a gun buy a Winchester , a least I can make some money selling them after your dead !"
major
Levergunner 2.0

Post by major »

Major

*If guns were your children how hard would you fight to protect and keep them*
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Let's see... there's always the little, "so-n-so's down on his luck and asked me if I could help him out with a few dollars... he insisted I take this to hold till he pays me back.. Over the course of a year it addded up to a horse, saddle and three rifles.

That was 'bout 6 years ago... the saddle's still in the livin' room, the horse in the pasture, and the rifles in the safe and under the bed. Several weeks after each "loan", the wife would ask if I thought I'd ever the money back. I always said, "I'm sure, it's just temporary." The saddle was last, and the wife said, "No more helpin' out so-n-so."

After he passed on she quit askin' when I'd get "our" money back. And she knows better than to ask me to sell these rememberances of our friendship. (Actually, helpin' him out was true... she just didn't know that I didn't dicker with him over his askin' price). Still miss him. :(
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Of course, if you're going to sleep on the couch, you might as well go full out and earn it...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... al30620093

Am I a trouble maker or what? :wink: :lol: :oops:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Luckily, as of late, I've been able to pick up some reloading components with the wife's approval. I don't know what's up with that, but as long as she's cool with it I keep doing it. I'll know when I've run the course as the approval rating will definitely go down.
Old Law Dawg
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Ysable
Yeah that would would do the trick. :lol:

Well after Sundays basment flooding nightmare. I think this will be the last gun for a bit. It will cost 1,500 to pay the cleanning crew that came out. :o
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JReed wrote:Ysable

Well after Sundays basment flooding nightmare. I think this will be the last gun for a bit. It will cost 1,500 to pay the cleanning crew that came out. :o
OUCH! Man am I sorry to hear that... :(
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

the only question I get asked is will if fit in the safe. YOU know it is going to fit one way or another. She buys sewing machines that cost what a small car would cost and I get to get my toys. Besides I am almost done buying I have maybe 3 more I want and then I am done as I have enough to play with for the rest of my life by then and see no reason to change.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
JReed wrote:Ysable

OUCH! Man am I sorry to hear that... :(
Yep not only did I have 4" of water in the basement on Sunday it flooded again Tuesday night. :evil: The good thing is that even though all my long guns got wet I got them up stairs and dry before they suffered any permanent damage. So the pictures of my new toy will have to wait until this weekend.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

jreed
Sorry to hear you had a wet basement but glad that no permanent damage. We had a flood here a while ago and i had to empty my reloading room and still don't have it back in order yet.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Is she kiddin!!!! How much could that Commie thing have cost???? jd45
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

jd45 wrote:Is she kiddin!!!! How much could that Commie thing have cost???? jd45
No I havent been sleeping on the couch just an expresion. Got a good deal on it 125 with all the goodies.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

"Honey, it's not a gun, it's an *investment*!"

Or, tell her how much you'll save in target practice as the ammo is much cheaper, and available by the case! :wink:
2fewdaysafield
Levergunner

Post by 2fewdaysafield »

Stake her out at the rendezvous and trade her for a Hawken gun!
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

Sounds like it will be much warmer on the couch than that bed anyhow..........After 4 times around the " I Do s " I do understand,,.........................mutt :mrgreen:
Bang
Levergunner

Post by Bang »

My lovely wife and i made a rule when we got married - she is an accountant too.
Gun money remains money : that is guns i sell can be used to buy more.

My 1879 45-70 Sprinfield trapdoor paid for the central heating.
The winchester 1886 in 45-90 paid for the new refrigerator, washing machine and dryer
Mauser C96 pistol with 12" barrel and carbine stock paid for the new electrics in the house.
My collection of 45's the governement bought off me paid for 20% house deposit.

So ..collecting has its benefits and since i had no investments during that period I was single and travelling exotic lands and meeting interesting people....the investment in good firearms was one way of making money from a hobbie. The 1895 30-40 musket I picked up in the phillipines is still driving me mad trying to find parts.

a few weeks ago i bought 3 blackhawks, 2 lever Marlins, another 32-20 Winchester, a nice 1889 model 1895 30-40 krag winchester and a pre war browning highpower with stock and tangent sights, my first ruger old army BP that is engraved like a french whore's butt: the wife didn't bat an eyelid at the pile of invoices and credit card charges. Guns are my hobby and it keeps me away from fast women and slow cars ( I have a 1970 MGB in the garage ).

cheers !
I wish to die like my grandmother - peacefully in her sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in her car !

Is there a 21st Century lever action?