Marlin unlocks

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
tatume
Levergunner

Marlin unlocks

Post by tatume »

Hello Folks,

I own several Marlins. My 30-30 was my first centerfire rifle, purchased for me by my parents as a Christmas present (at J.C. Penny's, no less). Another is an 1895G with an 18.5" ported barrel. If the lever is not held tightly, either of these rifles will unlock upon firing (lever drops slightly). It does not take high-pressure loads either; I've had it happen with factory ammo in both rifles and with "Trapdoor" handloads in the 45-70. I'm a very conservative loader. What are your thoughts and experiences on this?

Take care, Tom

P.s., I tried to search the forum for this information prior to posting.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I had this problem with a Marlin 45-70. It turned out to be the lever catch spring. Mine would pop open with a loaded magazine and a slight bump anywhere to the gun, sometimes just for no aparent reason. The replacement spring fixed it. I don't know if it was a factory part or spring stock from the gunsmith.

Didn't inspire confidence in me to take this gun into grizzly country. The Browning 1886 I now have has been as close to perfection in function as anything I've ever seen.
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

I have the same problem with a Winchester 94.
Would the fix be the same?

tatume, I don't mean to steal your thread. I think the questions are related.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

OKeeee DOKeeee, here goes.

Marlin: On the lever just above and to the rear of the trigger is a spring loaded plunger. This plunger engages a cross pin in the trigger plate when the lever is closed. It's tension is what holds the lever closed.

Winchester: At the rear end of the link is a spring loaded plunger. This plunger engages the forward edge of the lower tang. It's tension is what holds the lever closed.

Some times these things get jammed up with congealed oil or dirt or crud and will stick up inside their holes. Get a can of break cleaner and use the little nozzle and hose the plunger hole out. Push the plunger in and out as you hose it and most likely this will cure the problem. Be sure to lightly oil the plunger afterwards.

If this doesn't cure the problem, then more checking is in order. But it usually does.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***