Need some help with a 39A

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Need some help with a 39A

Post by Borregos »

I need to strip and clean my recently aquired 39A.
I have loosened the large takedown screw on the right hand side of the receiver and things seem to loosen up at the rear of the receiver but not at the front.
I dont want to force anything.
Am I missing something here?
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
444tsgt
Levergunner

Re: Need some help with a 39A

Post by 444tsgt »

Sit down, and hold the buttstock with one hand, the forearm with the other and tap the muzzle of your rifle on the toe of your shoe. It should come apart at the receiver. You can also go to marlins website and read the online manual. Hope this helps.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

MAKE SURE THE HAMMER IS COCKED!
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

OK jdad that may be the answer, I had already downloaded the manual from Marlin's web site but it deals with a 39A with crossbolt safety and rebounding hammer and I don't have that. It says there leave the hammer in the rebound position so I did not cock it.
Will try again with hammer cocked.
Thanks
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

That did it :D :D :D

Many thanks to you both for your quick replies :D :D
Pete
RANisbet
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RANisbet »

My 39A is from 1950.
I learned that you should move the hammer to half cock before you separate the receiver, otherwise your hammer will impact the edge of the receiver near the bolt entry way.
Also, to separate my rifle, I clamp the butt stock under my right arm, undo the receiver screw, hold the fore-end with my left hand and use my right palm to tap on the right side of the receiver.
SAAJim
Levergunner 1.0

Post by SAAJim »

What I do with my Mountie is just sit down and place the rifle over my legs with the right side of the receiver up (screw loosened) and then tap the receiver with the heel of my hand and it comes apart easily.

Jim