Skinner Front Sight question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Skinner Front Sight question

Post by J Miller »

I know what rear sights I'm going to use on my lever guns as soon as I can get them D&T'd. But the front sights are the questions.

I do not want the bead sights, they gotta go.

I've decided I want a narrow blade or post sight, so I was checking out the Skinner front sights and think I might order one or three. His prices are sure good.

My question to those who have used his front sights is how much fitting do they take?
I've ruined a couple front sights because I didn't file half of them away and got them stuck in the barrel dovetail.

Joe
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Joe, the one I have only required a little bit of material taken off the bottom of the sight, you could do it with a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface easily.
His sights come with a flat face, I did put 40 LPI serration’s on the rear of the front sight to cut down on glare.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Scott,

THAT is what I want. How tall is it? What rear sight are you using? How thick is the blade part? How much does the serration file cost? Who blued it for you?

Joe
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Joe, it is .5" tall from the top of the barrel, it can be filed down if needed.
The site is .050" thick.
I did the serrations my self, Skinner might do them if you ask, if not get a hold of me.
I just cold blued afterwards.
The rear is a Skinner in brass, I think it looks pretty good on my 1894CB but the steal/blue version may look better?

I wish I would have ordered about 5 more of those front sights, plan to soon. Great sight picture for fine accuracy work!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Scott,

I have to opposite plans for my Marlin.

First: Have it D&T'd for a side mount receiver sight and put a post type (Skinner) front sight on it.

Second: Retro fit it with 1895 style sights such as those that have been shown me in the other thread I've got up.

I'm leaning towards the first choice though.

Joe