If You Loaned a Gun out and it Came Back -Like This?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oldsawfever
Levergunner

If You Loaned a Gun out and it Came Back -Like This?

Post by oldsawfever »

The story Goes:
My brother in Law loaned his Beautiful Old 1893 Marlin 30-30 to his 28yr old stepson last year and told him to take good care of it !

Well my B.I.L found it in the barn yesterday,with every inch of it Rusted & pitting pretty bad.

My crazy B.I.L said he will clean it up and possibly give it back to him and I told him He's Nuts, "I'd never let him touch any of My guns ever again!

What would you do if your grown son treated one of your Rifles like this?

Here's Kinda what it looked Like! :shock: But much Rustier

Not the Actual Rifle just the rustiest pic I could find!
Last edited by oldsawfever on Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike E.

"Tell Me,I'll Forget"
"Show Me,I'll Remember"
"Involve Me,I'll Understand"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Love is blind, Mike. :roll:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

He would be shot-----after torture. :D The treating of a fine antique like that is almost as bad as abusing a dog. :x

I don't know about you boys, but everyone I deal with has their own guns and if for some strange reason someone did need a gun, they sure would not get a fine '93 Marlin to learn on. They would get the old Mossberg 20 Ga. bolt with slugs. (geeze, I'm a little touchy on that one, ain't I?)-------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

the loaned gun

Post by brucew44guns »

I have a son-in-law who is pretty wealthy. He bought 5 Weatherbys one time, put VariX111 scopes on all of them, they were 5 different calibers. I came by his house one day, way out in the country, the rifles were standing in the work shop a long way from the house, no one was home, the door to shop not locked. Most anyone who opened that door that day would have seen the guns, and could steal them easy. I determined that day, that my gun collection, that I have bled some blood to acquire would not go in his direction at my demise. Carelessness like that is just as bad as a rust job on the old Marlin in my book.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

My Dad gave my brother several prized guns a few years back. These were heirloom pieces that we used to pull out on Independence Day every year to send a few rounds down range when I was a kid.

I went to visit my brother one year and when he showed them to me they were rusted and beaten to hell. I was truly appalled.

In my opinion, the condition of those arms showed a total lack of repect for what my father had spent his life collecting, and gave to my brother trusting him to care for what was to him a favored, and to me a cherished, family tradition.

I collected them into a pile and told my brother that I was going to clean them up.

I removed the rust, reblued the metal on a couple, and refinished the stocks on every piece, and then I gave them back to my Dad.

I told him that he could do with them as he pleased, i.e., give them back to my brother, but that I was VERY unhappy about the way these firearms had been treated in his care.

That was 20 years ago, and to this day I don't know whats happened to all those lovely old guns.

My Dad has since given me many very nice guns, none from that bunch, but I've told him that every gun is still his until the day he passes on, but I will take care of them like they are my own, and I do.

:evil:
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

I let my son use my 410 to hunt tree rats a few years ago. I had to ask for the gun back. Rust and pitted all over it. When in the Army he fixed and maintained firearms. Go figure!
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

I'm beyond words.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

I don't loan firearms, nor do I borrow them.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Same here. I do not loan guns out. You have better chances of asking me for a night with my wife. I have purchased a few marlin 336 for my nephews, but would never loan them a prized possesions
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Loaners

Post by rjohns94 »

:shock: I give guns away, don't loan them. They are never treated as you would like them to be.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I loaned a Browning High Power to a friend who was visiting in Texas back in the 1980s. He shot some cheap 9mm ball ammo with corrosive primers in it and did not properly clean it.

When it returned, the outside was pristine, but the tube looked like a sewer pipe.

My Friend has gone on to that other country from whence he shall not return and I forgave him a long time ago. Maybe he is holding a pistol aside for me when I get there.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

WOW! Nothing like this has happened to me, and after reading some of these horror stories I believe it has taught me a valuable lesson!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I used to loan out my Marlin 1894 .44 Mag to those who needed to shoot hogs for food (FT Hunter-Liggett 1976-77) with no problems. Lucky I guess. I once loaned out my 6.5x55 Swede and it came back minus the front sight ramp (after many requests for its return). Fella told me that it had broken off as he was chasing a bear (behind the dogs) BUT he had the ramp... I'd have never found it myself in that mess. Ummm. Anyway, he's the same fellow who broke a Williams FP off his Ruger M77I with it slung across his back. I'm thinking that had to hurt!

No, I don't loan guns but other folks trust me with theirs...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
oldsawfever
Levergunner

Post by oldsawfever »

Well we'll see what happen next weekend when we get together to glean our guns.

I told him I'd take good care of The Marlin for him. :lol:
He looked at me as if I was crazy but then invited
me over to help with the cleaning of all our guns!
he's got about 40 rifles compared to my measly 7. :D

Mike E.

"Tell Me,I'll Forget"
"Show Me,I'll Remember"
old06
Levergunner 1.0

Post by old06 »

Yep this year I loaned my Winchester 94, 357 trapper to my buddy he has a shoulder rotator cuff torn and he busted the carrier, it jammed on him and a spot of rust on the mag tube. I loaned my son in law 3 guns a ought six Winchester M70 my first new gun my wife bought me for our fourth anniversary(were now on our 32 nd) a Marlin M60 22 that was my late father in law's and a 410 H&R topper. The 22 and the 410 had light fleck’s of rust and the ought six still was spotless I took it back home. I gave him the 22 and 410 and a lesson on how to clean them he was brought up in a home with no guns (single mom)and didn’t know how to care for them. Now I have loan guns in the past to a few others with out any bad results. Would I loan them to either of these the answer is yes because friendship and family is more than stuff
Psalm 16:1 Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

If stepson had mistreated a rifle I had "loaned" him in that manner he would have required surgery to remove it from his rear end.

I don't loan guns except to a very few (1) individuals who I personally know will care for them.
I will allow anyone I feel is competent to use one of my guns while I'm present or at least for a hunt that I'm at. But at the end of the day, I take it home and clean it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have 2 guns that I will loan to people who I believe will take care of them. The loaners are of the stainless/tupperware variety with no iron sights. I am pretty confident that aside from running them over with a truck-- they can't be too beaten up. I also have them returned at end of day or end of week -- so cleanup can be done by me.
Nobody gets to use my leverguns!
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

J Miller wrote:If stepson had mistreated a rifle I had "loaned" him in that manner he would have required surgery to remove it from his rear end.

I don't loan guns except to a very few (1) individuals who I personally know will care for them.
I will allow anyone I feel is competent to use one of my guns while I'm present or at least for a hunt that I'm at. But at the end of the day, I take it home and clean it.

Joe
I do the same thing Joe, other than that I don't loan out my guns, nor my books. Friends can come over & read if they want to & read them, or If I am so disposed...I give them the book. If they want to shoot or hunt, then they can buy their own guns. I don't loan mine out unless I am there.

LeverBob
gregg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gregg »

Younest son did that to a 22 I bought as a kid from a friend. Have a Mark 2 loaned out to the oldest and i'm sure its in find hands. FRIENDS JUST DON'T LOAN FRIENDS GUNS NO MORE THAT YOU WOULD LOAN A WIFE.
gregg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gregg »

oH YA forgot . Youngest don't get loan of guns and ones i bought him for XMAS he don't get eather. Hope hes growing up someday :cry:
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

loaning

Post by Hillbilly »

i dont loan guns or tools. And all the guns I've given to my kids are on the condition I get them back if they dont want to care for them or use them. I guess that's a bit of an indian-giver thing...I'm funny like that.
~Jeff
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

gregg wrote: FRIENDS JUST DON'T LOAN FRIENDS GUNS NO MORE THAT YOU WOULD LOAN A WIFE.
RIGHT - When I was in college half century ago, the father of the girl I was dating at the time loaned my his lovingly cared for .300 Savage so I could go deer hunting.

I didn't fully appreciate how much he trusted me until a few years later. He not only trusted me with his daughter but also with his personal hunting rifle - and yes, it was returned to him cleaned and in as good condition as when I picked it up (I didn't clean the daughter but always returned her in the pristine condition as she came).

I did loan one of my guns to my father once - but I was with him all the tine he was using it. No one else has ever qualified to get one of my guns lent to them.

:D
Last edited by OJ on Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

i have my personal guns and then i have loaner guns. if you really need to borrow a gun then you will not be picky. i have a loaner deer rifle, loaner .22 lr, and a loaner shotgun...all of which if hurt, won't hurt so bad. i don't loan out my best guns except only to other gun nuts that i know will take care of them and fix them if broken.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

NEVER LOAN ANY GUN TO ANYONE. I think this has been discussed before. Yes you should be able to expect someone to bring a gun back to you in just as good of condition as before you loaned it. However, I make it a practice DO NOT LOAN RIFLES! If I do ever loan a rifle, I will ensure that it is one that is in BAD condition to begin with. I have an old Remington 742 .308 that I bought for $100 that had rust and pits on it when I bought it. I got rid of all the rust and have a decent finish minus the small pits in the receiver. If you ask to borrow a rifle and if I loan you one, that would be the one you would get.
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

That's why I have the 75$ SKS, and 60$ H&R 12ga.

I'll gladly load you a gun, but you ain't gettin' the good one!

I took care of my buddy's guns while he was in 'Deseart Nam' as he called it. They were regularly cleaned , hunted with, and stored under lock and key as they were heirlooms left from his deceased father. They were returned in better condition than he left them in. When he returned, he offered my choice as to which one to keep for his thanks, but I declined and have never regretted the decision.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

MY SIL has a S&W M15 that she keeps around the house and that's the only gun she has. Her husband has been out of state working for a while and she called here in a panic. She had misplaced her gun and wanted to borrow one of mine until she found it. Now there are two of us in a panic. I'm thinking wait a minute, she lost her's... I'm going to give her one of mine?
I hated to do it but I put her off a few days until she found her's. I know she needed the protection and the peace of mind. she couldn't have hurt my M65 but still... well you know. DANG IT MAN!
Had I loaned something to someone as the Marlin I think I'd have to confiscate something very near and dear to that person to pay for the restoration.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I have and always will loan guns to people I trust, but there's nobody I trust with a collectable old Marlin or singleshot rifle!
The gns I loan are replaceable, like my bolt action .30-06, or my 700 in .22-50. Heck, I loaned my brand new Rem. 700 VSF out the first year I got it. I had already shot my deer, so I loaned it to my nephew, who's gun was shooting off for some reason.
I'd never loan any gun out that would make me feel bad if it got hurt. That way I don't have to worry about what I'd do if someone ruined one!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Don't loan guns or knives ever!
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I would be very, very, verrrry upset. :evil:

I loan just about everything to people I know. I come/still am from the situation of not having everything I need to do every job. I loan stuff to my buddies, they loan stuff to me, everybody's happy. :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
oldsawfever
Levergunner

Post by oldsawfever »

Well I found out that my B.I .L was going to give the Marlin to his stepson(my nephew) until he found it all rusted up in his Barn. :twisted:

I loaned him a big 200 amp Battery charger and had to go get it a week later! I Found it in the back of his pickup and it had been there the whole week and thru a big Thunderstorm. :x :evil:
He's 34 yrs. old and I'll never trust him to borrow any of my tools again much less one of my guns. :evil:

Mike E.

"Tell Me,I'll Forget"
"Show Me,I'll Remember"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I borrowed a .22 from my father-in-law shortly after I married his daughter. I checked with him frequently to see when he wanted it back, and when I did return it, the gun was cleaner than when he loaned it to me.

Same kind of thing when I was just getting started and someone would loan me a tool. I made sure I returned it in better condition than I received it. Just seemed like the proper thing to do if you repected the guns, tool and lender.

Unfortunately, the reverse didn't happen, and I soured on loaning stuff, even to relatives.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

There's an item everyone missed when loaning a firearm.
1.) If the guy needs to borrow a firearm, most likely the reason is that he does not have one---therefore, he "might" be unknowledgable with firearms, yours in particular.

2.) If he does something neglectful or stupid with that firearm, guess who is gonna get sued? -------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

This is not about loaning a gun, but my son tried on one of my antique gun belts to wear on Halloween. My wife had let him do it. It was old and it broke! It just happened to to be a cartridge belt that Texas Ranger Eddie Aten had worn when he had his photo taken with Judge Roy Bean. Needless to say they were both in my doghouse for awhile. My son was young and my wife did not understand old leather, but they do now! :x

:) :) :)
"That'll Be The Day"
john4me05
Levergunner

Post by john4me05 »

The next thing i would LOAN him is my foot and that would only be until the docs surgically removed it from his ***.... Thats like "borrowing" a mans daughter and then giving her back knocked up... Just shouldnt happen
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

I loaned out a 11-48 16 ga to a friend - of a friend...
Came back after I reminded my friend (bro-in-law) that it was overdue.
Rusted!
I cleaned it up, but it will forever be lightly speckled. :x and thankfully, still shoots good.
He asked again, the following year, and I said forget it.
I won't loan anything now!
...'cept my old drainpipe snake.
Ray
otteray
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I loan my guns to my son and one of my BILs and that's about it. They both respect them and know how to use and clean them right. Having said that, no one gets to borrow my Python!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

I only loan my stuff to my Dad....I do have a few guns that nobody touches sept me..
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....