Remington to acquire Marlin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mojo »

My biggest worry is what will happen to NEF/H&R. I knew I should have bought that Buffalo Classic last year when I had the chance!

From my experience being involved in four separate buy-outs, nothing major will unfold for 6 - 18 months until the new company has had time to fully evaluate "the books" and see what models/calibers are profitable and what aren't. Then the cutting begins.
If you can see the big picture, you are not focusing on your front sight.
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

kooz wrote:To be honest, the last Marlin I bought was garbage, they took it back 5 times and sent a total of 3 different rifles and I still never got one with good rifling, refused to accept # 5 after looking down the bore and got a refund. When your at the bottom there is no where to go but up, maybe they'll improve some, lets hope so.
I bought a new Remington 1100 Sporting 28 a couple years ago. First time it broke, it went to Remington's local repair shop. Second time it went to Remington, while there the wood was buggered by them and replaced. Thankfully the replacement wood was as nice as the original. But, the stock was loose when it came back because they forgot to put a washer back on. Thankfully I had one around the house that was a perfect fit. Third time it broke they sent me the parts to fix it myself. This was all within 1500 shells (nothing for a shotgun). Customer service was poor, and they could have cared less about my situation.

28 ga. 1100s have a rep for flinging their hulls a country mile, so I thought nothing of it when my gun did it. Problem is, it was flinging the hulls so darn far because the gas ports are too big (in turn making the bolt travel too fast and breaking the part it rides on). Took the O-ring off, now hulls only go a few feet, and no more parts breaking. This tells me that Remington drilled all the gas ports too big on all their Sporting 28s and it's just a matter of time before there is a parts failure on every Sporting 28 due to that. No excuse for that on a 40 year old design.

A buddy of mine visited the Remington plant a few years ago and took a tour of the place. Noticed workers sitting around and asked what was up. They work by peice. They have to make X number of peices a day, and once X number is made, they can sit around the rest of the day. If that doesn't encourage sloppy work, I don't know what does.

We'll have to wait and see, but I don't have much faith in a Remington run Marlin.

~Michael
Beans883
Levergunner

Marlin by out

Post by Beans883 »

Not being able to see the future anymore since the accident, I never saw this coming. Having said that I feel that new money can't but help Marlin. Of course I drag my feet at change, but I've learned to get out of it's way. This too shall pass.
Mike
Retirement is not for the faint of heart.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Hah! I was thinking about getting a Plain Jane 336 but decided to wait until Christmas was all settled. Now there are none available on Davidson's.

Of course I don't NEED it but it is a great gun to carry in the field. OK, I'll stop by the Big 5 later.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

sobenk wrote:Hah! I was thinking about getting a Plain Jane 336 but decided to wait until Christmas was all settled. Now there are none available on Davidson's.

Of course I don't NEED it but it is a great gun to carry in the field. OK, I'll stop by the Big 5 later.
That's exactly my situation! When I joined Leverguns, I was so pumped. I was planning to buy my first levergun, a Marlin 336C. This Saturday was to be the purchase day. I don't know if there will be any left now! :?

bogie
coobie
Levergunner

Post by coobie »

Sixgun wrote:I saw this coming several years ago. Todays BIG American gun manufacturers cannot compete with CZ, Taurus, Uberti, etc. Like most American manufacturing jobs, the gun business is soon to be a thing of the past here in the USA. I truly expect Remington, Marlin, and Savage to go the way of Winchester. I own a mess of guns and everyone except two SKS's all say "Made in USA". I drive American made vehicles even though most of the parts are made by the short people down south of the border

Its a shame because in 1962, the USA had 2/3rds of the worlds wealth. Corporate greed and greed from the stock holders forced it all overseas. The American worker helped this out a bit too. Why do you think why the gap between the rich and the poor keeps growing? In thirty to forty years we will be a 3rd world country.

Its taken quite a few years but our "culture changers" or the "movers and the shakers" have made it acceptable to buy foreign junk.----------------------Just wait until the 'others" outnumber us Anglos :cry: :cry: -------
Good post,you hit the nail on the head.coobie :)
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Bogie35 wrote:Oh I just realized...
I bet the 35 Remington will get some special treatment for the namesake! :wink:

bogie
That and there really isn't another .45-70 Lever out there that you can get NIB for the price of a Marlin...

The 336 in .30-30 MAY see a hit, but I'm doubtful.

Like I said, it could have been worse.

S&W could have bought them.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

'The philosophy of making things cheaply so you can sell more, actually ends up with selling less'

Just as likely is that selling cheaply doesn't provide enough profit so the componany can afford modern up to date production facilities so that it can compete.

'Its a shame because in 1962, the USA had 2/3rds of the worlds wealth. Corporate greed and greed from the stock holders forced it all overseas.'

In 1962 we had over 2/3 of the world's industrial capacity. The rest of the world was mostly technologically incompetent third world or former industrial competitors who were still recovering from World War 2. The rest of the world has just grown up. America's real crime was resting on its laurels and its reputation instead of staying competitive.

National policy has had a deleterious effect but it is not all about greed. Imagine the effect if the tax laws were changed so that american companies could have immediate 100 % write off of capital improvements (new machines, etc.) for items made in the USA. Japan does. Our companies could then afford to buy the best and most competitive equipment. Some of the equipment still used in some of our gun companies dates back to before WW2.
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

National policy has had a deleterious effect but it is not all about greed. Imagine the effect if the tax laws were changed so that american companies could have immediate 100 % write off of capital improvements (new machines, etc.) for items made in the USA. Japan does. Our companies could then afford to buy the best and most competitive equipment. Some of the equipment still used in some of our gun companies dates back to before WW2.
As a former Inventory Control Manager for a forturne 500 company, I can tell you that you are exactly right. While the workers and Joe Blow, general public are put off by moves over seas the stock holders generally approve because these other countries have MUCH better tax structures in place. Face it companies are in business to make money. They go where it makes it easier to do that.

BTW As both a levergun and Marlin fan, I hope that the new capital from Cerebus gives Marlin what they need to bring the lever action into the current century and make it what it really can be.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Aweman that sucks. Dont have anything against the Big Green just think it sucks.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

yeah.. it realy sucks marlin is sold ... i realy hope remington will take good care of marlin and H&R.. somehow i think they will.. call me an optimist :)
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I was planning to buy my first levergun, a Marlin 336C. This Saturday was to be the purchase day. I don't know if there will be any left now!
Good luck Bogie, I DID get mine, and it was on sale! Big 5 is great, they don't react to things like this, they sold their last Winchesters at regular price. Anyway, I'm glad I have it, in case they get more expensive or given synthetic stocks or some other horror.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Gunjunkie
Levergunner

Post by Gunjunkie »

Marlin is not going anywhere.. not much will change if anything it will go forward .. just sharks feeding off internet frenzy..
Gunjunkie
cvarcher
Levergunner 2.0

This is very bad news guys.

Post by cvarcher »

I remember another very famous all american gun company that was finally bought over by another--Sheridan .They made those great pneumatic air rifles.As soon as the other company took over they tried to trim and cheapen averything for production. That was Benjamin. Now they were bought out by Crosman. And the Sheridan is completey changed for the worse and is hardly even advertised anymore. What a shame-- Marlin such an admirable company like that selling out.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

Just as there is a premium on pre-64 Winchesters, will we see a pre-2007 Marlin?????????? Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Marlin is not going anywhere.. not much will change if anything it will go forward .. just sharks feeding off internet frenzy..
why take a chance?