OT - opinions on Winchester 120 shotgun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

OT - opinions on Winchester 120 shotgun?

Post by homefront »

My Remington 870 has never failed me, despite being used as a wading pole, boat paddle and brush parting tool (always when empty). I have killed many ducks and pheasant with it, and wouldn't think of parting with it.
However, I'd like to add another 12ga pump to my cabinet, and have found a nice Winchester Ranger 120 for a very good price. Are they reliable, or should I find another 870?
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - opinions on Winchester 120 shotgun?

Post by rangerider7 »

Remington 870. IMHO
"That'll Be The Day"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I personally like the 1200/120/Ranger/1300 shotguns. They are all at least as good as the Mossbergs. I noticed that not many come in the shop for work. That said, you really can't go wrong with an 870 or Ithaca 37...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I have had both a mod 870 (20 ga) and a Winchester 1300 (similar to yours). I never had any problems with either. The Winchester has a rapid pump feature. Upon firing the bolt unlocks and gas pressure assists in operating the the action open. This can be a surprise at first. but once use to it it makes for a very fast action. I sold mine a long time ago (MISTAKE) but I think I will replace it soon. Both are great actions, but they don't operate the same. Equally tough in my opinion.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

"That said, you really can't go wrong with an 870 or Ithaca 37..."
Spot on perfect.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I should have been clearer. In addition to what I said I have this thought. You have an 870, you should have another just in case spare parts become an issue.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Nothing wrong with the Winchester. I've been using one for about 25 yrs. hundreds of rounds thru it from light to heavy with no problems. The Win. and a 20 ga, single shot are the only shotguns I have at present.
UNITE
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

I've kept my BIL's model 120 in my gun safe for about a dozen years. The only thing I can see wrong with it is the long reach required to work the action. Probably would work fine for a tall guy, but it's all but unusable for us short fellows.
Well done is better than well said.