SAA in .44 Spec vs .45 Colt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

SAA in .44 Spec vs .45 Colt

Post by El Mac »

Can someone explain the fascination with an SAA in .44 Spec when there are .45 Colt available?
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

IT WOULD BE A LOT EASIER FOR US ALL IF YOU WOULD READ " SIXGUNS BY KEITH " THEN RETURN HERE, BREATHLESSLY, AND TELL US WHAT YOU THINK OF YOUR QUESTION THEN. YOU WILL HAVE HAD A MOST PLEASANT AND SERIOUS ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT. YOU'LL LOVE IT !!!
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

El mac,
Not everyone here has been around as long as Terry who really is a walking book of sixgun knowledge so let me humble myself and try to explain a little of the 44 Spl. And yes, take Terry's advice and read everything Elmer wrote. He gets $1.00 for every book written by Keith from the Keith Foundation. :D (Come on Terry, its a joke) :D

The 44 Spl. has a select following among knowledgeable shooters mostly because well, its different and no where near as plentiful as sixguns chambered for the 45 L. Colt. Guns chambered for the 44 Spl. have a much more reputation for accuracy "out of the box" than run of the mill 45 L. Colts. The cylinder walls of 44 Spls. are thicker and have a more margin of safety. The brass is usually thicker also. I would say most original guns chambered for the 44 Spl. have more uniform tolerences where guns chambered for the 45 L. Colt have many different measures. Cylinder throats on 45 L. Colts can measure anywhere from .449-.457. Groove diameters can be .451-.455. Most 44 Spls. are uniform with groove diameters of .429-.430 with most throats going from .429-.433.

There are lots more to explain on the differences but a lot of it comes down to good ole nastalgics from the writings of Elmer Keith
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Paco
Site Owner

Post by Paco »

:P I SOLVED THE DELEMA FOR MYSELF.. I OWN HANDGUNS IN BOTH CALIBERS..... PACO
PACO/OWNER
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

To my most respected PACO...........your words are wisdom from above. Thank you, jd45
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'll take the 45 Colt. But I wouldn't have any qualms with a 44 spl. if I were ever put in a position to pick one up at a reasonable price.
Old Law Dawg
Mitch1352
Levergunner

Post by Mitch1352 »

To quote my hero:
"If you understand, no explanation is necessary. If you don't, no explanation is possible."
The Special stirs that feeling that just makes the world seem like a better place. It has a siren song all it's own. The CDI (Chicks Dig It)factor ranks up there with ivory grips and great gunsmiths. Is the .45Colt a better cartridge? That's an argument that would span the ages. If I had to only have 1 centerfire round, the .44 Russian and S&W Spl would be it.
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

About 15 years ago, I bought a new 4-3/4" Colt SAA in .44 Special. A local gun shop was selling their stock at year end for $350 each (those were the days). I already had a .44 Mag so to get some brass, I bought some factory shells and shot up the box. Very comfortable to shoot and the accuracy was OK but nothing to write home about. However, I had some hard cast Keith style bullets for the other caliber and loaded these over 12.0 gr of 2400. Accuracy immediately improved to cutting holes at 25 yds and I suddenly had a mean little sixgun that was light and easy to pack with plenty of punch. I also own a 45 but the 44 Special is, well, "special"... :lol:
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

To further expain what Terry is sayin is that if Keith had a strong Ruger type gun in the 1920's the .44 mag may never have been.
But with the guns and steel of the time the .44 was much safer with heavy loads than the .45colt.
Elmer switched to the .44 and rarley ever looked back and in the 50's the .44mag was born.....But the Fun in the whole thing is reading "Sixguns By Keith" and then You Will know ........the rest of the Story. Jim.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Way to tell it!.....45 Colt! jd45
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

jd45...Thank You Sir. Jim.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I bought my Colt .45 in 1959 and i do love that gun. In 1984 I bought a gun from my friend, a Charter Arms Target Bulldog with a four inch barrel in .44 special. It is special,6.1 grains of Unique and 240 grain cast and I can get good groups offhand most any day at 100 yards, not bad for an old man.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I must like .44 specials. Here is my family of 6. I also have some .45 colts. It seems the bore sizes in colt saa,s in 45 run all over the place also in clinder bores. The extra wall thickness on .44 special lets you develop as hot if not hotter loads in the colts, and in smith & wesson guns .44 special gives you a lighter handier gun with the pencil barrel then does the 45 colt does with the heavier barrel in smith & wesson.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I've been trying to figure out which is best 44 spec or 45 colt for 30 or 40 years now :? Can't figure it out at this point in time, may need more time and specimens to test only have 3 of each :D
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Both are serious fight-stoppers. I had a similar question between the 44 Russian (which was later lengthened to become the 44 Special) and the 45 Schofield. I decided that the 44 Russian had a heavier bullet and slightly smaller diameter for the same velocity. Also, the 44 Russian was very accurate, with a throat diameter very slightly larger than the groove diameter. The 45 Schofield was the opposite, with a throat diameter several thou smaller than the groove diameter.

Bottom line: I decided the 44 Russian was more accurate and gave more penetration than the 45 Schofield. How this relates to the 44 Special vs the 45 Colt is a question I have not investigated, but I'm sure both are very good fight-stoppers. However, if the 44 special uses a 256 grain Keith bullet and the 45 Colt uses a 250 grain bullet, the weights are almost the same, but the diameter is not, so the 44 Special will penetrate further for the same velocity. Whether that is good or not depends upon what you are shooting at.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

Had a model24, with 6 inch barrel. Shot thousand of rounds out of that pistol. Was very accurate, and earned plenty of turkeys at local pistol Turkey Shoots. Wish I still had it, but all of you know that story!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

I don't have a SAA, in either round. :cry:

This is easier to live with when I pretend those old single actions are outdated and make good paperweights. (This is not an easy thing to do.)

The 44 Special is a real cartridge and offers worthy competition to the 45LC.

Having guns chambered for both rounds is proof a guy is open minded and not set in his ways or hard headed. :wink:

(Have to remember the mirror is right nearby when I say that..) :wink: :roll:
Last edited by Poohgyrr on Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

My favoriye pistol round - the ones I have had which have been Colt SAAs and a 624 and a 24 have been very accurate. The consistency of the measurements is likely the key but I have to say the Colt SAA I had and the Model 25s have been as accurate. Both rounds are big enough and the 44 Spl hold all the powder necessary for my pistol need tastes. I still have and like both. The 44 mag is over power for what I want and these two aren't unless you try to make them so. Maybe I should add with normal factory ammo.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

My favoriye pistol round - the ones I have had which have been Colt SAAs and a 624 and a 24 have been very accurate. The consistency of the measurements is likely the key but I have to say the Colt SAA I had and the Model 25s have been as accurate. Both rounds are big enough and the 44 Spl hold all the powder necessary for my pistol need tastes. I still have and like both. The 44 mag is over power for what I want and these two aren't unless you try to make them so. Maybe I should add with normal factory ammo.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Think it's easier to get a accurate 44 Special SAA than a SAA in 45 Colt. Would prefer a SAA in 44 Special. Gun is a little heavier than the same gun in 45 Colt. Have seen many amazing accurate 44 Special handguns (S&W 24, 624 and Colt SAA) but only a few 45 Colt.
45-70
Levergunner

Post by 45-70 »

The 44 Special is the "politician" of big bores...thinks it's a ".44", when it is really a .429, or maybe a .430!

I'll stick with the honest straightforward .45 Colt, it's advertised as a ".45" and it is! That and more at .451 or .452. Besides, it has a long. long history of getting the job done...just like its big brother born in the same year (1873), my favorite, the 45-70 Government...again a true blue .45! :lol:
"I came into the world to do the will of my Father, because my Father sent me..." Jesus Christ.
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Re: SAA in .44 Spec vs .45 Colt

Post by Slick13 »

El Mac wrote:Can someone explain the fascination with an SAA in .44 Spec when there are .45 Colt available?
I can't understand it either. The .44 and the .45 are both limited to 14,000 CUP in the SAA, and both shoot similiar weight bullets at similiar weight velocities. I guess the deciding factor would come down to accuracy.

~Michael
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

.44 special

Post by rjohns94 »

My love of the .44 came out of reading Keith. My first handgun was a hogleg of a ruger with 10 1/2 inch barrel in .44mag I used for shooting iron. That was the first of many Rugers and Smiths in that caliber. I always wanted a Colt in the caliber and just recently got one. It is accurate, well balanced and with Keith bullets, powerful enough for me. I have not owned a .45 colt but if the right gun comes along, I just may have to. Image

[/img]Image
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Slick13 wrote:
El Mac wrote:Can someone explain the fascination with an SAA in .44 Spec when there are .45 Colt available?
I can't understand it either. The .44 and the .45 are both limited to 14,000 CUP in the SAA, and both shoot similiar weight bullets at similiar weight velocities. I guess the deciding factor would come down to accuracy.

~Michael
I am over 60, owned and shot 45 colts all my life, and never owned a .44 Special until several years ago when The Shootists had an Anniversary gun commissioned by USFA. Shooting that sixgun was an EPHIPHANY!

Until you use one, with various handloads, you will never be able to understand it. All you can do is stand outside and look in, wondering what the deal is.

Quit trying to analyze this and get one. Then you will know. Remember, "The man with experience is never at the mercy of the man who only has a theory."

http://www.shootists.com/usfa/usfa.htm

http://www.leverguns.com/usfa/colt_usfa.htm
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

JimT wrote:
Slick13 wrote:

~Michael
I am over 60, owned and shot 45 colts all my life, and never owned a .44 Special until several years ago when The Shootists had an Anniversary gun commissioned by USFA. Shooting that sixgun was an EPHIPHANY!

Until you use one, with various handloads, you will never be able to understand it. All you can do is stand outside and look in, wondering what the deal is.

Quit trying to analyze this and get one. Then you will know. Remember, "The man with experience is never at the mercy of the man who only has a theory."

http://www.shootists.com/usfa/usfa.htm

http://www.leverguns.com/usfa/colt_usfa.htm
A SAA in .44 Special certainly has appeal to me, but I'd probably get one of the Uberti .44 Russians first. My next SAA will be in .44 WCF.

~Michael
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

"Can someone explain the fascination with an SAA in .44 Spec when there are .45 Colt available?"

No I can't, and don't try to. I've read 6 Guns and Hell I Was There by Keith and more of his gun magazine articles than I can remember. I know all of the mechanical reasons the .44 SPCL is supposed to be better than the .45 Colt, and I have shot a couple.

I shot JimT's 20th Anniversary Shootist UFSA a couple years ago and it is a nice revolver. Shot some lighter Unique powdered loads and some with a heavier charge of 2400. Nice, very nice.

But in my history as a shooter I've always gravitated to the .45 Colt. When I was legal to buy a hand gun in 73 my first one was a Colt Peacemaker .22 Convertible. I'm not sure right now what happened to that one, but it went in a trade or a sale. But it lead up to my first center fire hand gun.
I didn't want a pidly 38, or ear splitting .357. I wanted the biggest bad boy on the block .... the .45 Colt. You see in 1975 there were NO .44 Specials anywhere for sale. I don't think anybody was making any. Only the .44 Mag. And I did not want a .44 Mag.. Didn't need one, and it wasn't the biggest round out there.
My first center fire handgun was an Iver Johnsons imported Uberti made Cattleman SA.
That began my learning curve with the .45 Colt and I'm still learning. You see in 1975 the only ammo available was the Winchester 255 and Remington 250gr lead classic standard ammo. If you wanted anything else, you had to load it yourself. And learn to reload I did. I can say I've loaded more .45 Colt ammo than any other caliber. I learned a lot in those years.
I have to admit that since getting on the internet I've learned even more than I had before.
But I still come back to my favorite, the .45 Colt.

I'll not turn down a .44 SPCL should I ever have the opportunity to buy one, but I just don't feel the need to search one out.

THE .45 COLT; FIRST, FOREMOST, AND FOREVER.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

jd45 wrote:To my most respected PACO...........your words are wisdom from above. Thank you, jd45
Be carefull- I see a patch of brown on your nose.

buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Sorry--never had a love for the 45 colt. Now a 44-- special or magnum is a thing of beauty!
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Sixgun, that remind's me of Randolph, the brown-nosed reindeer. Know how he got his name?........being in line right behind Rudolph. Santa stopped his sleigh to quickly one trip, & guess what happened?!?! (HA!) jd45
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

The really neat thing about the 44 sp vs 45 colt debate, :idea: It ain't like wives or girl friends, :!: It's plum okydoky fine and dandy to have one or more of each and love em all at the same time. :D :shock:
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

jd45 wrote:Sixgun, that remind's me of Randolph, the brown-nosed reindeer. Know how he got his name?........being in line right behind Rudolph. Santa stopped his sleigh to quickly one trip, & guess what happened?!?! (HA!) jd45

Ha! Looks like Randolph got his nostrils full of Preparation H!!!

Don McDowell, I don't know about you but just ONE is enough for me! I'll take any sixgun caliber over a woman. Too much ag!------Sixgun

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

"I can't understand it either. The .44 and the .45 are both limited to 14,000 CUP in the SAA, and both shoot similiar weight bullets at similiar weight velocities. I guess the deciding factor would come down to accuracy. "

That's the first I've heard of the SAA being limited in chamber pressure to that level. Keiths loads for 45 Colt were higher, and the 44 spl loads were higher yet, with no issues at the level he used with 2400 powder. Part of Keiths determining factor was that the 44 spl had thicker cylinder walls, and would produce higher velocity with the 250 gr 44 spl bullet than the 45 colt would with a 260 gr. His 44 spl loads were about 22,000 cup I believe, and pushed the 250 gr bullet @ around 1200+ fps.

The difference is the cylinder walls. The SAA handles the 357 magnum @ 35,000+ cup just fine.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

While we are on this subject I'd like to pose a question to the SAA board of Regents.
Since Colt does not chamber an SAA in .44 Spec. only anymore, Is the chambering of .44-40 that they do offer with the optional .44 Spec. as accurate as one chambered only in .44 ?
Any thoughts on the .44-40 cartridge?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Smokeater I wouldn't see any reason why that gun wouldn't be as accurate as any other, unless the really mismatched the barrel diameter and the cylinder throat diameters. If its a .427 barrel, and .430 throats or the other way around, things could be interesting.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Malamute wrote:"I can't understand it either. The .44 and the .45 are both limited to 14,000 CUP in the SAA, and both shoot similiar weight bullets at similiar weight velocities. I guess the deciding factor would come down to accuracy. "

That's the first I've heard of the SAA being limited in chamber pressure to that level. Keiths loads for 45 Colt were higher, and the 44 spl loads were higher yet, with no issues at the level he used with 2400 powder. Part of Keiths determining factor was that the 44 spl had thicker cylinder walls, and would produce higher velocity with the 250 gr 44 spl bullet than the 45 colt would with a 260 gr. His 44 spl loads were about 22,000 cup I believe, and pushed the 250 gr bullet @ around 1200+ fps.

The difference is the cylinder walls. The SAA handles the 357 magnum @ 35,000+ cup just fine.
Malamute,

Just a weee bit of correction if I might. The 44 Special has a SAAMI pressure level of 15,500 PSI rather than 14,000 of the .45 Colt.
http://www.handloads.com/misc/saami.htm
Not that 1,500 PSI is going to make much difference really.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

JimT wrote:.......

Until you use one, with various handloads, you will never be able to understand it. All you can do is stand outside and look in, wondering what the deal is.....
I can testify to that.

It was, for me, a huge leap of faith to follow the advice of JT and the other "seasoned" shootists. I thought about it for a year while I was saving my money, and at the last minute, still almost backed out. A couple of weeks wages plus a new Ruger sixshooter is a lot to wager, in my world. The seven month wait for the gun to be completed seemed like a lifetime and I thought several times of calling and cancelling the order.
David Clements performed a near miracle on the New Vaquero and made my wager pay off even better than I could have imagined.

I put over a thousand rounds through my new .44 Special in the first two months. It was worth everything that it took go get it, and much more. There is just nothing to compare to the satisfaction of having something created especially for you. The .44 Special is a little more accurate than any of my .45 Colts and a lot easier to handle than the .44 Magnum.

My only regret is over not having done this years ago.

Jack
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

No offense Pards...

Post by LeverBob »

Horses fer' courses I guess...

For me, I like the bigger hammer. Just my HO. I've owned all of them at one point or another. Also, I don't collect anything persay. I like to travel light & stay that way when I land.

Therefore, a Ruger BH in 45 Colt outperforms both the .44 Spc. & Mag. It does everything I have ever asked of it. A Redhawk or Taurus in .45 Colt or Casull is even better. I don't mind the extra carry weight, just don't want to tote around a collection of guns...tools and equipment are bad enough.

I honestly don't see much of a difference until you get to the heavy 5 & 6 shot guns, like a Linebaugh or Clement. Then the .45 simply walks away from the rest. My choice, you make yours. :)

IMHO.

LeverBob
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

A thought just ocurred to me. I now own a S&W 629-1 with a 6"BBL. As you may know, it's chambered for .44MAG. My question is this, & please understand, I am serious in asking it,..........could I partake of at least a modest portion of the mystique of the .44SPL cartridge, if I were to load & shoot thru this revolver, .44SPL cartridges? It seems to me that this is reasonable. I appreciate your feedback, jd45
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

.44 in .44mag

Post by rjohns94 »

I am sure you could partake in the .44 spl magic in that manner
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

jd , yes you can do that. You can also use 44 special load data in 44mag cases, and get a pretty good feel for it.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

jd - you will lose a little of the enjoyment of the balance with the longer cylinder and heavier barrel but you will enjoy the lighter load.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

LeverBob, I enjoy the balance of this one too.

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

"Malamute,

Just a weee bit of correction if I might. The 44 Special has a SAAMI pressure level of 15,500 PSI rather than 14,000 of the .45 Colt.
http://www.handloads.com/misc/saami.htm
Not that 1,500 PSI is going to make much difference really.

Joe"

I didn't know we were limiting the discussion to factory loads.

The loads I mentioned have been pretty standard for many years with handloaders. I have an NRA reloading manual from the early sixties with 20,000+ cup 44 spl loads listed. These are the old Elmer Keith loads. The NRA manual didn't seem to think they were excessive in Colts and Smiths in good condtion. 17.5 grs 2400 has been the standard for 44 spl performance since the solid head cases came out. 18.5 was the old balloon head load. The pressure works out to about the same. Velocity runs a touch over 1200 fps in medium length guns.

The difference in CUP and PSI may have some bearing on the different numbers, but I'd shoot those loads all day long in a Colt or Smith 24.
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

jhrosier wrote:
JimT wrote:.......

Until you use one, with various handloads, you will never be able to understand it. All you can do is stand outside and look in, wondering what the deal is.....
I can testify to that.

It was, for me, a huge leap of faith to follow the advice of JT and the other "seasoned" shootists. I thought about it for a year while I was saving my money, and at the last minute, still almost backed out. A couple of weeks wages plus a new Ruger sixshooter is a lot to wager, in my world. The seven month wait for the gun to be completed seemed like a lifetime and I thought several times of calling and cancelling the order.
David Clements performed a near miracle on the New Vaquero and made my wager pay off even better than I could have imagined.

I put over a thousand rounds through my new .44 Special in the first two months. It was worth everything that it took go get it, and much more. There is just nothing to compare to the satisfaction of having something created especially for you. The .44 Special is a little more accurate than any of my .45 Colts and a lot easier to handle than the .44 Magnum.

My only regret is over not having done this years ago.

Jack
I'm waiting on Cosby's Custom Guns to finish a Ruger flat top 50th Anniversary conversion to 44Spec. It was almost in the back of my mind till this thread came up. In a couple more months I should have that Ruger in my hands. :)
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

Malamute wrote:"I can't understand it either. The .44 and the .45 are both limited to 14,000 CUP in the SAA, and both shoot similiar weight bullets at similiar weight velocities. I guess the deciding factor would come down to accuracy. "

That's the first I've heard of the SAA being limited in chamber pressure to that level.
SAMMI Max Average pressure for the .45 Colt and .44 Special is 14,000 CUP according to Accurate Powder. I assume these limits are due to Colt SAA (and their clones) and older revolvers chamberes in these calibers.
http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/PerC ... %20143.pdf

http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/PerC ... %20132.pdf

If someone wants to push their Colt, USFA, or Uberti with hot .45 Colt or .44 Special loads, have at it. Me, I like having my right hand and all its fingers attached, and having my revolver in one peice. If I want a hot pistol cartridge, modern magnums and revolvers built for them are readily available.

~Michael
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Again, you're talking factory ammo level.

SAAMI pressure level for 8mm Mauser is about like 30-30, but the european commercial hunting loads and original military loads are in the 30-06 power and pressure range. In guns other than the weakest ever made for the round, and with odd bore sizes, they are entirely safe.

You are also lumping copies of Colts with Colts. I probably wouldn't use much higher performance level loads in SAA copies. I don't believe the quality is as consistant with copies.

If anyone knows of any information regarding people losing fingers or ruining guns with the Keith 44 spl or 45 Colt loads, I'd sure like to hear about it. These loads have been used for at least 50 years. I am willing to learn, but have never heard of problems with Keiths loads in the guns they were intended to be used in.

This discussion is sounding very similar to the 45-70 high performance discussion. The loads I mentioned, once again, have long been considered safe and standard for higher performance loads in COLT and SMITH & WESSON .44 spls.
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

Malamute wrote:Again, you're talking factory ammo level.
I'm just going by what the reloading manuals and powder companies give me. There's one group of loads safe for SAAs and another group meant for Rugers and TCs. I'll stick with the loads they list for SAAs in my USFA Rodeo. If I need more, I need a different gun.

I've never read Keith's books, but doesn't his .45 Colt SAA blow it's top in one of them?

~Michael
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

SmokeEater2 wrote:While we are on this subject I'd like to pose a question to the SAA board of Regents.
Since Colt does not chamber an SAA in .44 Spec. only anymore, Is the chambering of .44-40 that they do offer with the optional .44 Spec. as accurate as one chambered only in .44 ?

I have two Colt New Frontiers with 7 and 1/2" barrels. One is a 44 Spl. with an extra 44-40 cylinder and the other is a 44-40 with an extra 44 Spl. cylinder. I purchased both cylinders (Colt cyl.) aftermarket and fitted them myself. Tolerences are the same with both guns and I cannot tell any difference in accuracy with either

SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Sixgun wrote:
SmokeEater2 wrote:While we are on this subject I'd like to pose a question to the SAA board of Regents.

I have two Colt New Frontiers with 7 and 1/2" barrels. One is a 44 Spl. with an extra 44-40 cylinder and the other is a 44-40 with an extra 44 Spl. cylinder. I purchased both cylinders (Colt cyl.) aftermarket and fitted them myself. Tolerences are the same with both guns and I cannot tell any difference in accuracy with either

Thanks Sixgun! That's the information I was looking for.