OT- Texas Rangers vs General Patton.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Texas Rangers vs General Patton.

Post by rangerider7 »

I was reading in the Colt forum about pearl griped Colt SAAs. One thread used the quote by Patton replying when he was asked whether his grips were pearl or ivory " ivory, only New Orleans pimps have pearl grips". Many Rangers had nickel Colt SAA with pearl grips, including Frank Hamer. Many of them were presentations by grateful townspeople and many had carved steer-heads on them with ruby eyes. It would have been interesting to see General Patton say that to Hamer. "Lone Wolf" told me before his death, Hamer was the roughest man he ever saw; he broke many a jaw with one blow from the cuff of his hand. He also said " it would be hard to say who was the best shot in the Rangers between Hamer and Bob Goss with a gun, they both won most all of the inpromtue shooting matches they were in".
"That'll Be The Day"
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Texas Rangers vs General Patton.

Post by Old No7 »

Hmmm....

I'm just glad the Rangers and Patton were on OUR side!

As for their disagreement over ivory grips, it sounds like the "Army vs Navy" football rivalry -- they would all pull together when the $#!&* hits the fan.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I wouldn't mind becoming a New Orleans pimp if I could have a Pearl handled Colt SAA. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Maybe Patton had some dealings that didn't go like he wanted with Rangers when he was down on the border when the US Army went after Villa and meant "Pearl Handle" comment as a indirect put down to the Rangers?
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

That reminds me of one of Charlie Russell's fine little stories, "The Ivory handled Six-Shooter". It's about how he fell for a beautiful gun and traded for it. A wonderful bit of cowboy history, told as only Charlie could. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

Wouldn't have made a nickles difference , I was trained by Mr.Bryce and Col.Askins, and them Ole boys where hard cobs and wouldn't back down from any thing,Patton was the same,as was Hamer. It would have been a node and a by your leave.

Could have been great fun though to stand there and watch :mrgreen:
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

+ David James
"That'll Be The Day"
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

Range, you may be right , but either way it would have been a hoot to be there,, them ole boys where just plain and simple a different breed , and sorely missed
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I watched two old herd bull take a run at each other and butt heads once. They back off, looked at each other and went their own way. They figured there wasn't any percentage in doing it twice. I figure something similar would happen with the aforementioned hard cases.
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

Yes, they are missed. But make no mistake about it. We've still got some men left. When the time comes "the cream will rise to the top"!
Jesus is the way.