Another Question on bullet lubing

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Another Question on bullet lubing

Post by Otto »

I hope these aren't stupid questions. I want to start casting in the near future.

Is this guy making this harder than it should be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eo21iQl05k

Why can't he just set a whole bunch of bullets on top of the lube, and then heat? For that matter, why did he have to melt the lube into the pan first?

Does he really need the cartridge case to cut the bullets out? I thought one could just sort of twist them out by hand. Maybe the lube won't stay in the groove if that is done.
Last edited by Otto on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Don McDowell

Re: Question on pan-lubing

Post by Don McDowell »

It's easier to melt your lube using a double boiler method (put the lube in a soup can, and put that can in a pan of boiling water) and then pour the lube into the cake/pie pan holding all the bullets stood upright until the level of the lube is where you want it.
Then go off and forget about it for awhile, then when the lube has completely set up push the bullets out, or use a cake cutter made from a cartridge case , piece of copper tubing etc.
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

Don McDowell wrote:It's easier to melt your lube using a double boiler method (put the lube in a soup can, and put that can in a pan of boiling water) and then pour the lube into the cake/pie pan holding all the bullets stood upright until the level of the lube is where you want it.
Then go off and forget about it for awhile, then when the lube has completely set up push the bullets out, or use a cake cutter made from a cartridge case , piece of copper tubing etc.
That guy on you tube someone to show him how to do it . I do it the same way you do it DON .
Image..Image
Image......Image
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

Yes .. that done the correct way .
Image..Image
Image......Image
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have always placed the bullets in a pan and poured the lube around them, but his way seems to work as well. I can see some potential problems, if you just set the bullet on top of hard lube and melted the lube under them. The lube would melt at different rates and there would be a strong possibility of the bullets tiping over into the lube.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Another Question on bullet lubing

Post by Otto »

Is there an advantage, in terms of results, of pan-lubing over using a luber-sizer, or vice-versa? Are pan-lubed bullets sized separately, or shot as cast?

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Otto wrote:Is there an advantage, in terms of results, of pan-lubing over using a luber-sizer, or vice-versa? Are pan-lubed bullets sized separately, or shot as cast?
Lubesizers just combine two tasks into one, less-messy task.
If you can get a mold that casts .002" larger than your bore, there's no need to size them.
If you do decide to or need to size bullets and you water quench, size them as soon as possible because after they harden ( happens pretty quick the first 2 weeks), sizing hardened bullets softens the alloy.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Seems to me he has added some unnecessary steps. My panlubing is pretty simple. I set ther bullets on their base in a cake pan. I pour melted lube to just over the lube groove. I then put it in the oven @ 175 - 200 digrees for 15 to 20 minutes. This gets the bullets and the lube the same temp and the lube will stick better. After they cool, I then punch them out by hand or use a "cutter" (a piece of stainless tubing reamed to .435" or so and tapered on one end). For the next batch, I just place fresh bullets in the holes and put it in the oven to warm everything. I can either run them through my Lee sizer or some I just shoot as is. Simple, not too messy (depending on how soft my lube is), and a no-brainer... :D
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I do the same as the second example. I have small shallow stainless steel dishes with tapered sides. set the bullets on their bases,melt the lube,pour untill the lube groove is covered,allow to cool. I put them in the freezer for 1/2 hr. the lube shrinks away from the dish just a little. Pop the cake of lube with bullets out of the pan and just push the bullets out with your thumb on the bullets nose.
Run them through a Lee sizer if need be.
Works great with SPG lube. No need to change from alox to SPG when shooting Black Powder. Everything else gets 50/50 Alox. :D
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

And if you are shooting smokeless, instead of Black powder, you could just use the Lee tumble lube.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Fairshake
Levergunner

Post by Fairshake »

Goatlips has a good demo on the correct way to pan lube thats on thne web. It's also a sticky on the Cast Boolits site of which I'm a member. Go by Cajun Shooter over there though. Check it out