Great day at the range with the 32-20

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Great day at the range with the 32-20

Post by jnyork »

Took the new-to-me Marlin 1894cl 32-20 to the local monthly NRA-approved Lever Action Silhouette match today, first time out with this rifle. Load was 8.5 Grains Lil Gun and Hornady 85 grain hollowpoints. About a 10-12 knot headwind and 45 degrees. Shot a 34 x 40 with 10 rams so I am a happy camper, just have to bear down a little more on the #$*&% turkeys!! :wink:
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Great score Jerry! Anything over 30 is cause for celebration!

Just don't show off your bullets to any "by-the-book" competitors. :shock: Hollow points are not "approved". We had to reshoot a match because of one such individual protesting to the NRA Competition board.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I cant find that in my rule book, do you have page and paragraph? The only thing I can find is paragraph 3.1.3 (3) which says ammunition must be flat nosed suitable for tubular magazines which this bullet is, being a flat nosed design with a hollow point. I think maybe someone is picking a nit here. thanks.
Last edited by jnyork on Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Sounds like a good time.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
sureshot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by sureshot »

Yes, great shooting with your new rifle.
I have been shooting Cowboy Silhouette for about 6 or 7 years now and really enjoy it. I use my Uberti 73 in 32-20 usually using smokeless loads, but I have shot a couple of matches with black powder loads. I shot a 32 with it 2 weeks ago.
I think the rule book say that the bullets must be flat nosed and suitable for a tubular magazine. I'm not sure why hollow points wouldn't fit this definition :?:
Steve
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Hmmmmm? Believe me Jerry, I'm not picking nits with you. I was being sarcastic because of recent events. I shoot for fun. We just happen to have an individual that has turned our league into "the rules, are the rules, are the rules" sort of match. Once we have a "blanket party" he won't show up anymore and we can have fun again.

Our match director helped write the original rules and the way it was explained to us was that, in the "spirit" of the old cowboy cartridges, they weren't using hollow points.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Sorry, I didnt think YOU were doing the nitpicking, I was referring to your little friend there, you told me about him before. Blanket party sounds pretty appropriate.

I wonder how many on this board have no clue as to the meaning of "blanket party", I myself have not heard the term for 45-50 years or so. :lol:
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

I wonder how many on this board have no clue as to the meaning of "blanket party", I myself have not heard the term for 45-50 years or so. :lol:[/quote]

:twisted: :twisted: :wink:
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

That is very good shooting!!!! Congratulations!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Are we talking about "beach blanket bingo"?
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Ummm, not really!!! :wink:
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

homefront wrote:Are we talking about "beach blanket bingo"?
It gets demonstrated in the movie "Full Metal Jacket".
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Blanket Party? ha! Last year when I was elk hunting in Colorado with my son, we met of couple of his co-workers. These guys were old school who work on the railroad. They were telling me about this superviser who was a total jerk and that something had to be done about him. (this supposedly happened ten years ago) Anyway, one cold night when the temps were hovering around zero, the guys were hiding outside of this little building that the superviser was in. When the superviser came out, the boys threw a blanket on him and gave him an old fashioned whoopin'. :evil: :evil: Never had any more trouble from him as he quickly transfered to another state. :D ---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Gotta love the 32-20.
Dewight
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dewight »

The rule dealing with ammuntion states "...All bullets must be flat nosed suitable for tubular magazine use" This may mean that only flat nosed bullets maybe use. But I don't think any one read it that way. Otherwise there would be very few .22LR rounds that qualify. There are very few .22LR bullets that are flat nosed. The key part of this rule is "...suitable for tubular magazine use." The rules for this game were formulated to be simple and to prevent it from becoming an equipment race.

If I was Match Director or a member of the protest jury I would deny the protest, inform the protester to write out the protest to be forwarded to the Protest Committee at NRA Head Quarters. No way would the match be re-shot.

34/40 Nice score! I hope to one day to able to shoot in the 30's regularly again.
Member: Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

The rule applies to "centerfire", rimmed, cases that include the .35 remington.

The "smallbore" rules are different. They just state "22LR ammo".