OT: movie review "Gran Torino".....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

OT: movie review "Gran Torino".....

Post by Mokwaw »

Wife and I took this in last night. Good story line, surprise ending, at least not what I expected. Overloaded with foul language and lots of racial slurs. Nice M1 Garand and 1911 for the star, and a couple of uzi's for the gang. Recommended, but heed the warning on language.
UNITE
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: movie review "Gran Torino".....

Post by FWiedner »

Seemed very formulaic to me. It had some good comedy moments.

I seem to recall a couple of other movies, one with Charles Bronson with some folks in an apartment building and one with Kirk Douglas in an old folks home that had similar plots.

I enjoyed seeing Mr. Eastwood act, because his characters are invariably men to whom I can relate, but his movies are a bit like Louis L'Amour novels. Different, but the same.

The Gran Torino was in great shape.

:D
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

I have planned on seeing this movie....thanks for the heads up!

I wish Clint would do one more Dirty Harry movie. By now...Harry Callahan may even be Chief Of Police.

:wink:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

PaperPatch wrote:I wish Clint would do one more Dirty Harry movie. By now...Harry Callahan may even be Chief Of Police. :wink:
Only if he personally wipes out the PC police in SF! :D
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I am looking forward to seeing this movie although NOT in a theater. The last time I went it was
8 bucks a ticket and I had to sit through 17 minutes of previews and commercials. At least with a DVD
one can fast-forward to get to the "Featured Attraction".

I did have my wife cornered in the dark though !!

There is always a silver lining.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Great movie, think of it as a 70 year old Gunny Highway from HEARTBREAK RIDGE.
uncowboy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by uncowboy »

Saw iy last night. Wife and I both liked it. Best line in the movie is when the barber said I should have shot him when I had the chance! J.Michael
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Thanks for the review. I think we'll have to see that one.
NRA Life Member
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Best Clint Eastwood movie I've ever seen. The language was exactly like my Dad and his chronies talk to this day. As long as you take it into perspective, it should not offend anyone. Remember that his character isn't bothered by people insulting his heritage either, it is part of the world we actually live in. Being PC correct has evolved more towards being "patronizing" than being insulting. I'd rather hear what you actually think, instead of what they think you should hear.

Me thinks this is his last movie...great way to end it!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

We seen last night. I enjoyed it, but I hope it wasn't his last flick, although it kinda reminded me of John Wayne's last movie, where he got killed in the end.

I though maybe all of the name calling was a bit overdone, but then again I don't live up north, here in the south where I live, you don't see so much of that, unless it's right before the fight happens. But then again, it seems to be that up north, one is identified more often by one's nationality from the old country, then you see in this part of the south.

I have noticed this in the past, and wondered about it. Things are changing fast here in the south, but for the most part, most people I know have trouble tracing their ancestors back much past 100yrs, and often have no idea what country their forefathers even came from other then maybe relizing that a certain last name, is an English name, or German or whatever. Of course we know who the foreigners are. :lol:
NRA Life Member, Patron