Tutt on Snow Mountain

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Tutt on Snow Mountain

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hello guys. I’ve been meaning to write to you about a camping trip I did in November. We had almost a week off for Thanksgiving and I waited for good weather to go camping again in the Mendocino National Forest close to my home. I had found out about an area called the Snow Mountain Wilderness and wanted to camp there and hike to the summit of Snow Mountain which is reported to be an arduous but beautiful hike.

When I arrived on Friday, the weather was perfect! Sunny and warm. I found a hillside that jutted out to the north and allowed me to see Snow Mountain to the east and a great view to the west. I decided to make this my campsite as it offered such great views!

Here is Snow Mountain to the east as seen from camp.

I don’t know for sure why but I decided to put my tent up. I seldom do this anymore in good weather. I just sleep on the ground on a pad and tarp. But it was Fall in the mountains and the weather can greatly change overnight so I decided to be prudent and put up the tent.

Never have I made a better decision! In the late afternoon, a generous wind kicked-up. It was so strong it was necessary to douse the fire I had started and take shelter in the tent. I took my camp stove off of its legs and put it next to the tent to shelter it from the wind and cooked up dinner instead of grilling the steak I had planned.

As the sun went down, I was mesmerized by the ensuing sunset. Seldom have I seen any this good! It was worth braving the wind every few minutes to watch the sun descend.

After night fell, the wind increased more! It was one of those turbulent nights with the tent walls flapping. I had already secured the tent with extra stakes and connected the loops to heavy rocks by bungee cord. I knew I would not blow away in the night and slept pretty soundly actually.

The next morning I skipped breakfast and headed for the trail. The wind had subsided some but was still blowing. I hadn’t had much exercise of late and the hike turned out to be very difficult for me. It is 4 miles to the summit with switchbacks and few flat spots. Just a general uphill climb, some of it quite steep, with few flat areas to rest up. I thought of turning back more than once, but had already gone far and was not going to give up. My feet were plodding along and I had to rest often but only briefly each time.

It is a very remote area, very primitive and “wild-feeling” and while I saw fresh foot prints of other hikers or backpackers, I saw no one the whole day. After what felt like hours, I found a sign that directs you to either the East or West Peak by some of the steepest trail yet. I decided for the West Peak so I could look down towards camp.

As the highest local point, it was very windy up there, but I was glad I had persevered! Here was a view looking east as I made the ascent.

Here is the totem on the West Peak and the view from there looking west.

I made it down rather rapidly passing all the landmarks I had seen coming up the trail almost in a blur. In the end, I made it there and back in 5 hours almost exactly. Not so bad for 8 miles round trip that starts at about 5000 ft and ascends to 7300 or so.

I was disappointed to get back to camp to discover the wind was still blowing strong. The only other people camping in the area left that afternoon, I suspect because they did not want to spend another windy night on the mountain.

I actually felt pretty good after the hike, better than I thought I would. I enjoyed a beer (or two!) and made another dinner on the stove behind the tent. I put on a coat and spent a lot of time in the wind just watching the sun descend again and the changing colors on the landscape and sky. I think this will always be one of my favorite sunset pictures.

By the next morning, the wind had died completely and I awoke to a perfect morning. I made a hot pot of percolated coffee followed by a leisurely breakfast of sausage and eggs. I felt just fine despite the previous day's death march. I would do it again in a heartbeat (OK, make that many VIGOROUS heartbeats!)
Snow Mountain is now, of course, snowed in. I will not be back until things thaw out. But I look forward to hiking to the east peak next time!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Tutt on Snow Mountain

Post by Guncase »

Beautiful country! I'm glad they didn't pave all of California.
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks for that Tutt. Beautiful country. That's part of it's allure and why it's turned out to be what it is now.
Old Law Dawg
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Man that is really beautiful, thanks for posting :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

beautiful pics. Thanks Tutt
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Awesome. Looks like a good place to be.
NRA Life Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks, Tutt; now is the time to start exercising for that spring death march to the East peak!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I'm really surprised that NO ONE asked about the "yellow case"! You guys are seriously slacking! :lol:

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Umm? What's in the YELLOW CASE? :wink:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Well, its sort of one of those "in case of emergency break glass" situations. In this case, it means cracking open the case on a beast of a handgun for emergency use! Stay tuned for a complete review! Hehe! Just hope my wrist survives the testing! :)

-Tutt

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Here I thought it was some sort of CA-approved cooler or something! :wink:

Tutt, you are a stronger man than I. I don't think I would have had the resolve to leave such a beautiful place. All I can say is "wow!", and, thank you for sharing!!! :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

CowboyTutt wrote:I'm really surprised that NO ONE asked about the "yellow case"! You guys are seriously slacking! :lol:

-Tutt
If it's a levergun it is you that's slacking... :wink: :D Great photos! California must have been wonderful 50 years ago. Even in 1973-75 it was pretty nice, mostly.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I know what it is but I aint telling :wink: :) . Great post Tutt as said beautifull country by you.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

great post, great photos.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Lord, that is beautiful country out there. If there's one thing the majority of Californians don't deserve...it's California. Whatever happened to the California of Hollywood stars rubbing elbows with the likes of Roy Weatherby, etc., etc.???

Scott :cry:
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Nice post Tutt. Great pictures. That is much like the country around where I live (Alturas, CA) and where "Shasta" lives (Redding, CA).

Looking forward to your report on the gun in the yellow case.
ED
Yer never too old
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

SMW is only about 80 miles from me and I used to hunt it a lot back when there were only 2 deer hunting areas in CA, Coastal and Inland. DFGs rediculous implementation of a ZILLION zones stopped all that. The zones and my disgust concerning hunter conduct, or lack thereof, has made me shoot only orivate lands. It is still a beautiful place, regardless of hunting regs. Thanks for the reminder, Tutt. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Very good that was and I look forward to the box mystery :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Actually - I have seen in the yellow case. WILD! Not for me. :o
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Man, that IS really beautiful country. Adding my thanks here for posting the photos and the story of the place and your hike.
We don't have anything here that we can call much more than a hill. Seeing photos like yours reminds me of why people put up with the rest of the California craziness.

So, you gonna tell us what sorta boomer you've got in the case? - Dixieboy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

While up there did you happen to see the mountain variety of one of these? :lol:
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

You are truly blessed Tutt, and thank you for blessing us with those photos. I can just about put myself there, which is a good thing right now.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

GANJIRO wrote:While up there did you happen to see the mountain variety of one of these? :lol:
That's what the yellow box is for.
ED
Yer never too old
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

ED, dont'cha know that currently there is a "Do Not Take" on those things? Shootin' one a them critter would be worse that killin' a Cougar. :lol: :lol:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

A most excellent adventure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Nice pictures and a great story to match! Thank you. :D --------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Mike D. wrote:ED, dont'cha know that currently there is a "Do Not Take" on those things? Shootin' one a them critter would be worse that killin' a Cougar. :lol: :lol:
I hear ya Mike!!! Actually, if that yellow box (Kit Gun from S&W I think) contains a handgun with a barrel shorter than 4", it can't be used legally in CA to take any kind of animal or bird.
ED
Yer never too old
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Oh, all right! :lol:

Its either Pandora's Box, or the coolest thing since beer in a bottle!!!! 8) :lol: :P

But like Mikey says, I liiiiiiiike it!

-Tutt

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Modoc Ed, you win the prize! :lol: Its not for hunting, just personal protection in the woods. Obviously in CA I would have to be sure to have overwhelming evidence to prove my case. Fortunetely I camp in other states as well as CA.

Ganjiro, my friends who have seen me in swim trunks would say that photo is of me!

-Tutt

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

So Tutt, where do you hail from. I've spent a bit of time up around Paradise. Was supposed to hunt up that way this year, but logistics didn't work out. Next year for sure.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Jeepnik, I live in Ukiah, CA. It is two hourse north of the dreaded city of San Francisco. I just arrived here in August, but I just love it here. I hope to settle down here, but who knows?

-Tutt

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

CowboyTutt wrote:Modoc Ed, you win the prize! :lol: Its not for hunting, just personal protection in the woods. Obviously in CA I would have to be sure to have overwhelming evidence to prove my case. Fortunetely I camp in other states as well as CA.-Tutt
I wasn't knocking it Tutt. That would be a pretty cool tool to have out in the boonies.

In CA, it's prudent to practice SSS -- Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up when taking care of dangerous situations with certain restricted game.
ED
Yer never too old
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Good advice, Buddy! Most of the time I'm pretty darn remote so I don't fret over it.

-Tutt

geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Very nice. Thanks for posting.