OT: WHAT ARE THE 3 BEST TASTING FRESHWATER FISH?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: WHAT ARE THE 3 BEST TASTING FRESHWATER FISH?

Post by TedH »

Bruce wrote:
Fish in an oven just ain't right.

:lol: +1
NRA Life Member
gunsmither
Levergunner

Post by gunsmither »

Bluegills

Nortons

Channel Cats

All deep fried in beer batter. Yu--mmmmm--y!!!!!!!!!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Here in North CA we have Big Gills, Crappie and Channel cats. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Trout, Walleye & catfish, inthat order. If you cnsider Salmon a freshwater fish (I don't) then they go in @ #2.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Bruce wrote:BTW, another southern thing is that "Bream" are "all" of the panfish family. We only speak the official language - Bluegill, Red Belly, Specks (crappie), Warmouth etc.. if we are trying to brag. :lol:
Yeah, I meant Crappie when I said Specks. I didn't mean to confuse any of the yankees that frequent the board. :wink:
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bruce wrote:AJMD429,

For bream (bluegill etc..), scale them with a dull knife or large spoon, cut off the head right behind the front fin (on the side) and gut them. Wash - Salt/pepper and cover with corn meal/flour mixture (1 part meal to 2 parts flour) and deep fry. In the old south, we put the meal/flour mixture in a paper bag and drop in a few prepped fish and shake the bag to get a good coverage. When they are done, break off the tail about an inch from the rear. Then pull out the fin on the fish's back. (Pull from the rear of the fin - kinda up and forward from the rear to the front at the same time). You will then be able to pull the meat off the with your fingers w/o any bones coming out. I start with the little bit of meat on the tail section we just broke off then work from the back to front on each side. You should get a pretty good chunk of meat off of each side with very little effort. I do catfish the same way except they are skinned.

As a side note, I know plenty of old timers who will eat the whole fish, bones and all if it is a "little" bream. They just cook it well. There are still places where you can get a bream sandwich, which is eaten that way.

All this has me now wanting to go fishing. I live within eye sight of the great Suwannee River, which has some of the best tasting catfish.

BTW, another southern thing is that "Bream" are "all" of the panfish family. We only speak the official language - Bluegill, Red Belly, Specks (crappie), Warmouth etc.. if we are trying to brag. :lol:
I'm going to print that up and save it for the next fishing outing. Unfortunately our pond is only about 100x250 feet, and silted in to the point that in summer it is about 18" deep, so I'm not sure what the future is for bluegill - it USED to have bass AND bluegill though, before the flash floods and silting. Thanks...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

this is in no specific order.

1. i love fish caught in rivers, streams and creeks.
2. i love fish caught in lakes.
3. i love fish caught in ponds.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

I much prefer ocean fish, but of the freshwater fish I like ,
Pike
Largemouth bass
Zander.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Okay. Now the leaders are:

Catfish 18
Crappie 17
Bream 16
Trout 16
Walleye 10

Some answers have merged two or more species, so I've done my best to filter through it. From what I've heard Walleye is fantastic, but I have never had an opportunity to try it. :(

But Catfish, Crappie, Bream, and Trout sound about right!

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

walleye
pike
trout
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

#1 Angelfish
#2 Black Molly
#3 Neons

But then I am on a diet.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Bullard4075 wrote:#1 Angelfish
#2 Black Molly
#3 Neons

But then I am on a diet.
:lol: :lol:
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

An honorable mention goes to Peacock Bass, but I don't think you can find them in the States. While stationed in Panama, I could go on the canal and fish for them. Excellent, firm white meat and would be my favorite if only they had them around here........ While fishing in Panama, it is truly a great idea to stay in the boat at all times :shock: :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Based on my taste,in order, as follows:
1. Walleye
2. Walleye
3. Walleye
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Rimfire, I know what you mean about our northern neighbors. They keep bringing up fish that can't be from fresh water. You know - Bigeyes and Neon Pikes. I'll bet they are catfish and bream in disguise.

Blaine, you are in luck. There are Peacock Bass in Florida. Some enterprising individual thought it would be nice to introduce them to our tropical waters. Come get all you want. You can take some Walking Catfish, False Pirahna and a truck load of other exotics also - if you wish. :D

Even though I make fun of the exotics, there is one that I will not complain about to much. Tilapia. Not to bad at all. The only problem is that they do not take to being caught by a line and hook. Cast netting or bow fishing are about the only way to get them. Thankfully, none of the exotic fish can survive from about Ocala north due to cold water in the winter. Neither can the Anacondas, Boas, monkeys, lizzards, frogs, birds and other things that got released by well meaning short term residents and movie crews.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Beam (bluegill) and crappie are definitely on my list.

I prefer bullheads to channel catfish. Flathead catfish is good too. The best catfish is the stuff imported from Vietnam, Thailand, etc. and now sold under the name Basa in the US because our own catfish farmers were afraid they could not stand the competition once people learned what good catfish tastes like.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Bruce wrote:AJMD429,

For bream (bluegill etc..), scale them with a dull knife or large spoon, cut off the head right behind the front fin (on the side) and gut them. Wash - Salt/pepper and cover with corn meal/flour mixture (1 part meal to 2 parts flour) and deep fry. In the old south, we put the meal/flour mixture in a paper bag and drop in a few prepped fish and shake the bag to get a good coverage. When they are done, break off the tail about an inch from the rear. Then pull out the fin on the fish's back. (Pull from the rear of the fin - kinda up and forward from the rear to the front at the same time). You will then be able to pull the meat off the with your fingers w/o any bones coming out. I start with the little bit of meat on the tail section we just broke off then work from the back to front on each side. You should get a pretty good chunk of meat off of each side with very little effort. I do catfish the same way except they are skinned.

As a side note, I know plenty of old timers who will eat the whole fish, bones and all if it is a "little" bream. They just cook it well. There are still places where you can get a bream sandwich, which is eaten that way.

All this has me now wanting to go fishing. I live within eye sight of the great Suwannee River, which has some of the best tasting catfish.

BTW, another southern thing is that "Bream" are "all" of the panfish family. We only speak the official language - Bluegill, Red Belly, Specks (crappie), Warmouth etc.. if we are trying to brag. :lol:

Heresy!. That fried tail fin makes a tasty crunchy 'chip'.

On the small ones I scale them and remove the heads. Eat them like corn on the cob, top (back) side first. Bite down till you feel the bones and pull the meat off. Turn over and do the bottom side the same way from the body cavity to the tail. On the little ones there isn't enough meat on the ribs to much worry about and it is often overcooked and dry because it is so thin..

Spring sucker caught from cold water also have a good flavor once you get around the bones. I only mention it because some one mentioned pike/pickerel which is about the same situation.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Bullhead cats
Blue gill
Sturgeon
UNITE
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Bream or panfish (Bluegill, Warmouth, Redear, et.c.)
Crappie
Catfish, no wait, Walleye, no wait, Catfish, no wait, Walleye, ahh, the heck with it, most all fish is good to me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

1. sheefish
2. red salmon
3. arctic grayling
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Bagtic, I know what you mean about the tail being crunchy - and good. But only on the small ones. Seeing you mention suckers brings up another interesting Florida thing. Florida has a special few day event in the Panhandle that is curious. When the weather is cold, we allow suckers to be netted (illegal otherwise) out of a few designated small streams. The locals there go crazy over the event. They fry them up and eat them whole. I tried it once and all I can say is - mouth full of little bones.
BGunn
Levergunner

Post by BGunn »

Walleye

Walleye

Perch

Trout = to big, like cardboard, we 'em throw back...

Real men never get lost. We investigate alternate routes and destinations.
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

well after giving this some more thought i like bass, razorback buffalo, and 3 finger bream.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Channel Cat
Bream
White Bass
"That'll Be The Day"
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

1 free (invited over to a fisherman friends house) :wink:
2. cheap
3. fried

Man I need to git some fish to fry Yum! :lol:

I have never caught a fish in my life! I have even bought books on the subject of freshwater fishing. I have sat, stood between two guys catching fish and narry a bite. So I resigned myself to buying or recieving gifts from fishermen friends that dont eat fish :?
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - John F. Kennedy
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

The leader board:

BREAM 21
CATFISH 21
CRAPPIE 19
TROUT 17
WALLEYE 16

The next closest competitor is PERCH with only 8. Sounds like those will be the top 5. I say throw 'em all in a stew and enjoy the best of five worlds!! :D

bogie
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Bogie35,

If you say that word "stew" in relation to fish again - we are going to take your hunting and fishing rights away for a whole month. Shame on you. On a public board with children viewing non the less - Shame, Shame.

505stevec,

That just is not right. My invitation to you. Come to north Florida and the fishing trip is on me. Unless of course you stew or bake them - in that case - it serves you right. :lol:

Next thing you know our members will be baking deer meat and roasting peanuts. Wild game/fish was meant to be fried and peanuts must be boiled. I have heard rumors of cooking game meat over wood and I guess that is OK. I have smoked some and grilled some, but that must remain a secret on the method.

Websters - Stew - something that is covered up with vegetables and over cooked to cover up problems. Does not include wild meat or fish.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

1. Ribeye
2. T bone
3. Ribeye

Oh...you mean fish...

1. searun cutthroat but only if caught in salt water
2. walleye
3. black sea bass

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Bruce wrote:Next thing you know our members will be baking deer meat and roasting peanuts. Wild game/fish was meant to be fried and peanuts must be boiled.
Now we know you're a hard core Floridian. Love them hot boiled peanuts.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

In no particular order:

Tilapia (deep fried)
Shovelnose catfish
Piranha (fried to a crisp so the bones are crunchy)
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

"If you say that word "stew" in relation to fish again - we are going to take your hunting and fishing rights away for a whole month. Shame on you. On a public board with children viewing non the less - Shame, Shame."

I admit it. I slipped. Maybe it was a relapse. :D

I was just trying to think of a way to get each fish in the same dish. At least I didn't say "casserole"! :lol: :lol:

bogie
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

perch, walleye,burbot. distant 4th is smelt
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Bogie35 wrote:At least I didn't say "casserole"!
I just flashed back to the days of the hot tuna noodle casserole my mother would occassionally make. I nearly passed out at the thought of having to take even a single bite. I probably won't be able to eat fish for a month now.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Beef and pork can both swim, so they count. They're followed by fishsticks.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

The Brown,Brook & Rainbow trout I caught after hiking in 13 miles to an alpine lake in the Klamath NF of northern calif
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
Bogie35 wrote:At least I didn't say "casserole"!
I just flashed back to the days of the hot tuna noodle casserole my mother would occassionally make. I nearly passed out at the thought of having to take even a single bite. I probably won't be able to eat fish for a month now.
Tuna casserole MUST have peas in it!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1