Watch for news from Marlin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Watch for news from Marlin

Post by brucew44guns »

There is a well known gun writer I communicate with about once a year, One all of you have read most likely, and he mentioned to me tonight in an e-mail that I need to watch for some very big news coming from Marlin in the next few days. What that is all about I have no idea, but one can hope more levers are about to be born. Bruce
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Looks like they will introduce a new bolt gun along the lines of a Savage.
Sure hope there is more than that. :roll:
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Let's all hope that "very big news" does not mean that they are going out of business like another famous gunmaker from Connecticut did a couple of years back!
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

Nope, you are all wrong!!!! They afre going to produce a single action six shooter based on the original Colts, with deep blue only,( NO SS,) is .45 Colt 44-40, 38-40, 32-20, .44 Special, with choice of 4 and3/4 or 5 and 1/2 inch barrels, exhibition hand-fitted burl walnut grips, alreaded sighted dead on for factory ammo at 25 yds, for the price of $350.00 over the counter, with a lifetime warrenty, and a lifetime re-blue warranty. How,s that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Art :D :D
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Is that for real or are you just pulling our leg?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

How about some big news about a possible sale or merger? I ain't saying anything more!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
FALPhil
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FALPhil »

marlinman93 wrote:How about some big news about a possible sale or merger? I ain't saying anything more!
Cerebus is buying them and putting the line under Remington management. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this. It's been on the streets for at least 3 weeks.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Cerberus
FALPhil
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FALPhil »

FWiedner wrote:Cerberus
Whatever.

The interesting thing is that the people who run the holding company are not particularly enamored of gun rights. When they get the a large percentage of the firearms manufacturing capacity bought up, it will be interesting to see if they focus on military contracts or consumer firearms.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Only news I hear about is NOT a levergun, unless you call a bolt a levergun.

Here is a pic of the Marlin XL7, their new bolt rifle, like a mix of many on the market. It has a Savage like trigger (accutrigger) and uses a barrel nut for headspacing.

This line copied from a forum
"They will be in 30-06, 270, 25-06, synthetic or APG camo, just blue for now. MSRP $325 black, $356 in the camo."

Here's the link where I found it.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/sho ... p?t=268199

The guys as savageshooters.com knew all about it.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Another Remington 700 wannabe...yawn!
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

Swampman wrote:Another Remington 700 wannabe...yawn!
Yep, ho hum. Yawn, yawn.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

marlin news

Post by brucew44guns »

I probably wanted to read more into the writers comment about Marlin than may have been there. He mentioned he had been hunting last fall with the new Marlin bolt gun, and that it would be available soon, but the comment on watching for "NEWS" coming from Marlin held a seperate subject matter in it for me. The bolt gun is not NEWS, I think I saw that talked up in a gun magazine awhile back. I've heard some of you guys putting it on your wish list that Marlin would buy some rights to build a Winchester or two. We all have wishes I guess.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

I wonder if the recent auction of prize Marlins from the factory collection has anything to do with this...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

In mythology, wasn't Cerberus the guard dog of the gates of hell?
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

WinM71 wrote:In mythology, wasn't Cerberus the guard dog of the gates of hell?
Yeah... the three-headed guard-dog at the gates of Hades...
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Marlin being sold cannot possibly be good.

A "Savage type rifle"???????????

Why????????

Savage already makes the best rifle for the money, I don't see how Marlin can compete unless they're cranking them out in China. Either way, it can't be good, and I'm thinking a death blow.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Cerebus Management Partners

My "guess" is they're just buying a controlling interest like they did with Remington. They want the Marlin "Brand" as a business investment.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

jdad wrote:Cerebus Management Partners

My "guess" is they're just buying a controlling interest like they did with Remington. They want the Marlin "Brand" as a business investment.
Maybe but Marlin is still a family owned company VS Remington big corporation. I'm somewhat surprised they'd be interested in an outside entity haveing a controling interest. Sure wouldnt make me happy.
I think we'd have heard about financial troubles too.

The bolt action thing dont surprise me much. They tried before & now with the model 70 dead maybe they think it'll go over better. Maybe it will.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

They also recently bought Chrysler from Daimler-Benz.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Cerberus...the three-headed Guardian of Hell........Dang, If I knew my Ex was going into the Firearms Industry, maybe I wouldn't have been quite so hasty :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

I hear their gonna get the license to start making winchesters 94 :shock:

Just kidding, but after all the years of hearing the MARLIN WINCHESTER arguments I think it would be hilarious :lol:
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

BlaineG wrote:Cerberus...the three-headed Guardian of Hell........Dang, If I knew my Ex was going into the Firearms Industry, maybe I wouldn't have been quite so hasty :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bogie
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

WinM71...

"My mind reader refuses to charge me.........."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love it!

bogie
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

How in the HELL could they market a rifle like that for under $400, & why a bolt gun???? They should be lookin at something to compete with the 1876 Win replicas, shouldn't they? All of you who sit in on their upper management meetings, let me know, will you? (Yeah right!) jd45
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Maybe some new calibers besides the 308 Marlin Express?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Maybe a .308 MX rimless for the new bolt gun. :wink:
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Chuck, isn't the .308 already a rimless? Please explain, & thanx, jd45
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The .308 MX does have a rim. It looks rimless in photos but the rim is larger in dia. than the body of the case and fits the same shell holder as the .30-30 .
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

jd45 wrote:How in the HELL could they market a rifle like that for under $400, & why a bolt gun????
Why not? Seems building a bolt gun would be easier with fewer moving parts than a lever gun. Not a machinist but I could never understand how any of them built a lever action for less than most bolt guns.
They should be lookin at something to compete with the 1876 Win replicas, shouldn't they? All of you who sit in on their upper management meetings, let me know, will you? (Yeah right!) jd45
I think if there was a realistic market they would. Realisticlly speaking theres nothing a 1895 or 444 Marlin cant do that a 76 Win can so I bet they figure they got it covered. Heck, Winchester never even made a modern toggle link action.
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

I can see it now. . . A Winchester 94 with microgroove rifling. . . . :(
Ridgerunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ridgerunner »

Anyone care to educate me on the real difference in the .307 Winchester and the .308 Marlin? Sound very similar to me....Being as I have the .356 Win and the .375, am seeking to make the trifecta in the near future.....
Confederately yours,

Ridgerunner
FALPhil
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FALPhil »

Swampman wrote:Another Remington 700 wannabe...yawn!
Swampman, I can only assume that you are not a fan of bolt actions, because you could not be more wrong. If anything, it is a Savage wannanbe, since it seems to have all the features that make the Savage 110 unique. That means that with a new barrel, a couple of low tech tools and 5 minutes, I can have a switch barrel rifle. Imagine being able to go from a 25-06 to a 35 Whelen in 5 minutes. Try that with a Remington!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Junior wrote:I can see it now. . . A Winchester 94 with microgroove rifling. . . . :(
Junior, I have a Winchester 94 .44 magnum barrel that has microgroove rifling. 12 lands and 12 groves. Very shallow.
I can't prove it, but I'd bet a box of primers it was made on Marlin machinery.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

What about a 358 Marlin Express? With ballistics similar to 358 Win.

Now THAT would be exciting! :)

bogie
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

cerebus is known also for buying companies and dissolving them for parts and pieces. they tried buying albertsons (the grocery chain) but someone else beat them. this would not be good news if they were involved.
jdad wrote:Cerebus Management Partners

g rice