ebay madness!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

ebay madness!!

Post by jnyork »

So, I thought I would go over to fleabay and pick up a nice set of RCBS 30-30 dies for a reasonable price. Silly ol' me!! :shock: In many cases, the USED sets are selling for MORE than brand new from Midway. :o What's up with that??

Re: ebay madness!!

Post by Noah Zark »

"Hope springs eternal."

The majority of the sellers are overly optimisic about the true value of their wares, IMO, in anticipation of finding one of those 60 suckers that're born every hour.

Ebay is the nation's dumpster. I've stopped using it as a source because of too many issues with stuff I've bought, and sellers hiding behind the "I don't know nuttin' 'bout these" disclaimer.

The sellers are in effect saying, "Here, you throw this (worthless item) away, and pay me for the privlege of doing it."

Noah say no to eBay.

Noah
Last edited by Noah Zark on Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gunslinger598 »

Yep I saw the same thing.

A couple weeks ago I needed some .380 dies. They were more used than new on both eBay & gunbroker.

I ordered from Midway and even then it was a back order. I never thought that cartridge would get so popular. I've been carrying a lil one as a back up for about 16 years and just always bought ammo for it as it used to be cheap.

Might as well buy new, unless ya just happen on a deal that everyone is sleepin.
AQHA Life Member
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I look in at Ebay quite a lot, but don't buy much. I have noticed many auctions where the product is already priced higher than Misway, Midsouth, or Natchez, especially dies. In fact I saw a Lee Loader (can't remember the cal.) go for about $29.00. In my Natchez catalog they're listed at under $17.00. Ya never know. I don't buy dies from Ebay anymore. The last set I bought, RCBS 357 Mag., carbide, 3 die set, was advertised as "light" pliers marks on lock rings, good condition. When I tried them the size die, carbide, scratched the cases so bad I won't use it. The "pliers marks" are gouges and the set screw was so tight I had to use my "hardened" allen wrench. The threads in the lockrings, all three, are buggered up and unuseable, I had to use my handy dandy Vice Grips to get them off. The lockring on the seating die is chewed up too. Not to worry I took them to work and put them it the sonic cleaner for an hour and replaced the lockrings with 7/8-14 thin jam nuts and a 1/4-28 stainless nut for the seating die. I bought them, I went in eyes wide open, no fault but my own! Let the Buyer Beware... :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

But the ones on e-bay are usually " VINTAGE " :D
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I wish I was this seller on Ebay.........

A couple of weeks ago an early 1950's Marlin sight hood sold for $63! :shock: PT Barnum was sure right.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Many of you men have mentioned rare or unusual western movies you've seen, that I never heard of. I'm a western movie buff for sure, and have found many of those rare ones on E-Bay, in VHS for small amounts of money. I've never gotten a non-playable tape, or even a jumpy one. My day is probably coming, but lucky so far.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Well, there's always a silver lining, I posted this same thread over on another board and almost instantly got a PM from the nice feller out in Tennessee who sold me a set of dies for a very attractive price. Still a few good guys around. :)
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have often wondered about the criteria for being " vintage " on ebay.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

mescalero1 wrote:I have often wondered about the criteria for being " vintage " on ebay.
Manufactured previous to last week, I believe. :shock:
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Though they have changed policy (no barrels and such), I got most of my parts to build 5 Winchester 94s on ebay. Rarely had a problem, but patience is essential.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Good one jnyork!
20 cows, before they became the moral guardians of the universe; I too made some really smoking gun deals from ebay.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

It amuses me that so many people get exercised over the prices of things on Ebay. It's an auction, people! If you've had any experience with auctions, you'll realize two things--
-- Sellers have an inflated idea of the worth of their items, and buyers tend to get carried away in bidding for items they want.
-- The motto "Buyer Beware" applies more strictly in an auction than anywhere else. Know your item, and if you see it going for more than it's worth don't buy it!

Before I bid on anything, I know the usual market value of the item I'm bidding on. I bid exactly once, and my bid is the highest price I am willing to offer. If I win, great. If not, oh well, I look for another. The fact that some ask, and some offer, too much has no effect on me at all -- that's what auctions are all about.