Loading bench ideas?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Loading bench ideas?

Post by ceb »

Over the last year and a half, I've been doing a major remodel job on the house. One of the first things I did was tear out the room where I had my old loading bench. My new room is larger, but I don't want to put a full bench in there. I have sold my Dillons and have went back to a RCBS Rockchucker. Anybody got any ideas or pictures for something small enough to be stored in a closet, yet get the job done.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Loading bench ideas?

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I'm using one of these with a Lee Turret press clamped on it..The stand comes with a template that has hole drilling patterns for various presses.. I wound up laying a 25lb bag of shot on the base..It stays put now..It breaks down to the base, post and table.. Assembled it would go into a closet fine..I can also clamp my Lubrisizer on it too..I got mine from midway
http://www.gunaccessories.com/Frankford ... gStand.asp
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

I use old office desks. I bolt the press on one side of the middle section so I can still use the drawers. I have one for my single stage press and bench primer, one for my Dillon, and another for casting and lube/sizing. The drawers hold everything I need such as dies, calipers, case prep tools ect.
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
revolverjunkie
Levergunner 1.0

Post by revolverjunkie »

i built a very heavy bench i used cedar 4x4x8's but anything but pressure treated would be fine for the legs. 2x6's bolted to the 4x4's to form the frame for 3/4 " plywood the front legs are about 36" and the backs are about 60" i used a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" ply and cut it to 3x4 and used the rest for shelves 18" deep i belive. if you would like i can email you pics and a more accuarate materials list
this thing is tough and heavy i have 2 progressives and an O frame press on it and sizing 30-06 or running the progressives the bench never so much as makes a noise best of all a wrench and a screw gun are all i need to take it completly apart because your not gettin up the stairs. (heh heh took me 4 trips just to get all the materials into the basement)
Your friends might get me in the rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe. Tombstone.

when guns are banned there will be two groups with guns the government and outlaws.
I intend to be among the outlaws
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

If you go to Northern Tool or similar, you will find all steel shop stands very similar to Ben_Rumson's stand - only they are heavy and solid as a rock. A couple of those would be good for stowable stands - maybe put some furniture skids on the bottom... so you could slide them around.

Here's an example of what I'm referring to:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... 7756_47756

$59 plus shipping - weighs 44 pounds.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

revolverjunkie wrote:i built a very heavy bench i used cedar 4x4x8's but anything but pressure treated would be fine for the legs. 2x6's bolted to the 4x4's to form the frame for 3/4 " plywood the front legs are about 36" and the backs are about 60" i used a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" ply and cut it to 3x4 and used the rest for shelves 18" deep i belive. if you would like i can email you pics and a more accuarate materials list
this thing is tough and heavy i have 2 progressives and an O frame press on it and sizing 30-06 or running the progressives the bench never so much as makes a noise best of all a wrench and a screw gun are all i need to take it completly apart because your not gettin up the stairs. (heh heh took me 4 trips just to get all the materials into the basement)
Thats how to do it---Just make it the size you need. I never could see paying anybody for something I can do myself :D -----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I made my reloading bench using Finley Products Inc. workbench legs. They're premolded plastic and very strong.

Work Bench

It looks like the 3rd picture from the left. You cut 2x4's to the length you want and then cover the top, very easy with screws. It can be made as big or as small as you like, just depends on the length of 2x4's you use.

You can find their stuff many places, like Northern Tool.

Northern Tool Link

I made mine 4ft in length. Then i just had to cut 2x4's and could buy plywood tops already cut into 2'x4' pieces.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by two bit okie »

I use a rolling tool chest, and have a dillon sdb, which replaced a rcbs rockchucker, which replaced a rcbs jounior.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

deerwhacker444 wrote:I made my reloading bench using Finley Products Inc. workbench legs. They're premolded plastic and very strong.

Work Bench

It looks like the 3rd picture from the left. You cut 2x4's to the length you want and then cover the top, very easy with screws. It can be made as big or as small as you like, just depends on the length of 2x4's you use.

You can find their stuff many places, like Northern Tool.

Northern Tool Link

I made mine 4ft in length. Then i just had to cut 2x4's and could buy plywood tops already cut into 2'x4' pieces.
I need to build a new bench myself. Thanks for the tip, I really like the stuff from 2x4 basics.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I found an old Sun tune engine test/tuneup machine. The kind that had a scope and dials on the top. I took the top off , threw it away, and mounted my loaders on the base cabinet. I left the caster wheels in it, so I can roll it out when I reload in my garage/shop. I keep a couple of bags of shot , bullets, brass, etc. in the cabinet base for weight. Works great. Total cost $25.00.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

ceb -

Check out this recent thread.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=13056

The reloading bench/cabinet of mine was originally designed for a small space - just 4 feet across. The idea could easily be adapated to a closet.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

This is my temporary loading bench. I made the tops out of 3/4" countertop. (it's heavy so it doesn't wobble too much). I used a 2x3 screwed to the underside and clamp it in my Workmate. I have since replaced the "Loading" top with a slightly larger one and use the one shown for casting. Easy to stow; unclamp the top and fold up the Workmate.
(sorry 'bout the pic size(?) first time sharing pic)
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Thanks for the ideas, but after looking at the other thread, I realize there is no way I can do all this out of a closet. I have a room in my wood shop where I used to make bows. I'll just have to convert that. Ysabel that is a great idea, I like that a lot! I do have some old cabinets and a top I tore out in this remodel job, I may utilize some of them. Be glad when I get this job done, so I can go back to shootin.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

mikld wrote:Image
This is my temporary loading bench. I made the tops out of 3/4" countertop. (it's heavy so it doesn't wobble too much). I used a 2x3 screwed to the underside and clamp it in my Workmate. I have since replaced the "Loading" top with a slightly larger one and use the one shown for casting. Easy to stow; unclamp the top and fold up the Workmate.
(sorry 'bout the pic size(?) first time sharing pic)
I like that idea. Thanks. I'm going to use it for reloading/experimenting at the range where bench space is at a premium
ED
Yer never too old