Ruger 22LR Single Action

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Ruger 22LR Single Action

Post by HEAD0001 »

I am in the market for a new 22 revolver. I like the single action, but I have owned several and was always disappoimted in the accuracy. Is there a prticular gunsmith that puts out a better(more accurate) Ruger single action revolver?? I looked at the Hunter model but they are close to $600. I can not understand that price. Any body have any information??

I really want a single action. I wish Ruger made a single action that shoots as well as the S&W double action!! Tom.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger 22LR Single Action

Post by 20cows »

The Ruger is a compromise for the conversion. Mine shoots 22 lr acceptably, but it shoots the 22 mag very well.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

HUH....THAT IS FUNNY. I HAVE AT LEAST A DOZEN RUGER SINGLE SIXES OF VINTAGES GOING BACK 45 YEARS AND ALL OF 'EM ARE AS ACCURATE AS THE THREE S&W K22'S, ALSO OF VINTAGES GOING BACK 50 YEARS. THIS OF COURSE WITH THEIR FAVORED AMMO. YOU MUST TEST TO SEE WHAT THEY REALLY LIKE THE BEST. THE LAST THREE SINGLE SIXES I BOUGHT, A 1971, A 1967, AND A 1995 WILL ALL SHOOT UNDER .70" AT 25 YARDS WITH THEIR FAVORED AMMO. THE 1995'S FAVORED AMMO IS CCI 22SHORT MINIMAG, ALL IN ONE HOLE CONSISTENTLY AT 25 YARDS.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Have you been to the Ruger Forum and asked over there? I bet they could lead you in the right direction for sure.

I love the Single Six guns.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I have a Single Six that shoots very well. I love that gun. It is true that some guns prefer some ammo. If you get one that doesn't shoot to your liking you may need to try several brands of ammo. I have seen guns shoot cheap ammo better than expensive ammo so you never know.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

I bought a Ruger Bisley Single Six with adjustable sights and the gun only came with a .22 cylinder(no mag cylinder).My particular revolver will shoot groups just under an inch at 30 yards with Federal bulk .22 LR.It will easily outshoot my K22 Smith !Mine has a 6.5 inch barrel and will consistantly hit 3 to 4 inch targets at 100 yards.
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have owned several Ruger Single Sixes and several Smith and Wesson model 17-2's which of course is the old K-Frame Masterpiece. Some Rugers can be about as accurate as the K-22, every gun is an individual. However, normally I would probably place my bets on the Smith.

The other thing is a Smith usually has a better trigger, and a little better sight picture. That fine single action pull on the Smith aids greatly to shooting accurately, espacally for anyone who has not shot a lot, and learned how to manage the usually heavier trigger of the average Ruger.

It's the same with a Ruger semi-auto 22 vs a Smith and Wesson mod. 41, the Ruger may have nearly as good a barrel, but the trigger is usually a lot worse then on a fine Model 41.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

milton wrote:I bought a Ruger Bisley Single Six with adjustable sights and the gun only came with a .22 cylinder(no mag cylinder).My particular revolver will shoot groups just under an inch at 30 yards with Federal bulk .22 LR.It will easily outshoot my K22 Smith !Mine has a 6.5 inch barrel and will consistantly hit 3 to 4 inch targets at 100 yards.
MILTON, THE BISLEY SINGLE SIXES NEVER WERE ISSUED AS 22LR/22MAG CONVERTIBLE SIXGUNS. YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THEIR ACCURACY TOO. I FORGOT ALL ABOUT MY BISLEY 22'S. MY FIRST WAS JUST LIKE YOURS AND AVERAGED RIGHT AROUND .70" AT 25 YARDS WITH JUST ABOUT ANY 22LR LOAD. TREASURE AND KEEP 22 PISTOLS LIKE THAT !!! A FUNNY THING ABOUT THIS BISLEY 22 WAS I ASKED THE GUY WHO SOLD IT WHY HE DID SO; HE SAID HE DIDN'T THINK IT SHOT VERY WELL ATALL. I GUESS HIS ACCURACY GUIDELINES WERE A DAMNSITE TIGHTER THAN MINE.
reo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by reo »

The Single Six I have has been a dream gun, very accurate. The long rifle cylinder after 6 to 7 K rounds has opened the groups a bit. I prefer the magnum cylinder for taking grouse. No meat damage like a LR, just pencils through. This has been a great under study gun for my Blackhawk in 45C.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Terry Murbach wrote:I GUESS HIS ACCURACY GUIDELINES WERE A DAMNSITE TIGHTER THAN MINE.
Terry - you know as well as I do that there are two kinds of shooters.

Those who think accuracy / inaccuracy is due to the machine and those who understand where the problem really is.
:lol:
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Yes sir Terry this one is a keeper ! As far as hard triggers on Rugers,if you can do a little 'smithing a Ruger can be smoothed up to get a great trigger !
One thing else to look for is see if you can find one of the older Ruger Old Model Single -Sixes.My '57 dated early round gate will shoot as well as my New Model and with some brands of ammo it will outshoot it!
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

HEAD0001 wrote:I am in the market for a new 22 revolver. I like the single action, but I have owned several and was always disappoimted in the accuracy. Is there a prticular gunsmith that puts out a better(more accurate) Ruger single action revolver?? I looked at the Hunter model but they are close to $600. I can not understand that price. Any body have any information??
Well, you could move on up the food chain a bit......

http://www.freedomarms.com/

....Of course the rest of the accuracy issue will be up to you! :o

That $600 Hunter model starting to look a bit better to ya!? :lol:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Don't forget the little BearCat, they're just so darn cute. I haven't shot mine for accuracy, but it's minute of gopher at 10 paces.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Glenn »

Yep, them old model Single Sixes shoot just fine....

Glenn
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Glenn....Very Nice!!! :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Glen, I'm envious. My OM does not shoot that well. It has very inconsistent chambers sizes. It will group 3 to 4 together then through 2 to 3 fliers. It is very consistent about that. Don't matter what ammo is used either.
Cylinder is at the gunsmith to have the chambers equalized. Hopefully that will bring them into some form of consistency.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

JimT wrote:
Terry Murbach wrote:I GUESS HIS ACCURACY GUIDELINES WERE A DAMNSITE TIGHTER THAN MINE.

Those who think accuracy / inaccuracy is due to the machine and those who understand where the problem really is.

And a Hooty Hoooty Hooty Hoo to you too. I posted to try and get some good information on someone who might be able to do a little "Slickening Up" work to a pistol. And this is the best you can do?? Tom.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

HEAD0001 - I am sorry but yes, that was about the best I could do. I did not mean to offend your sensibilities. I do like to try and prod people toward "shoot more, work on them less" for my experience is that most firearms are more accurate than those of us who hold them.

You have received some fine answers from the good guys on here. Don't let my smart-aleck reply make you miss those.

My suggestion for inaccurate guns is to first run at least 500 to 1000 rounds through them - NOT FROM THE BENCH - and learn the gun thoroughly. If, after that period of time it's accuracy is not up to your standard, then consider doing something about it.

And yes, there are firearms that won't produce decent accuracy. Those are not as common as most believe. Generally it's the man not the machine.

As a well-known pistolman once said, "They told me it was impossible but after 30,000 rounds of practice I found it quite easy."
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, There are shooters and then there are shooters.

I have one close friend, whose pistols give much better accuracy whenever someone, other than the owner, is the one doing the shooting. :shock: :roll:

He has long ago come to terms with it, and (with years of effort) HAS slightly improved.

Southern Bamboo
Levergunner

Post by Southern Bamboo »

I paid $239 for a pre-billboard (early 70's) new model Single Six 5.5" stainless. Pre-billboard means no huge address/disclaimer message printed on the barrel.

It's accurate enough for my eyes, which admittedly aren't great.

But it's SO fun to take to the range and play with.

For the cost of a new Heritage .22lr SA, I got a sturdy Ruger that will last forever, plus no ugly (to me) safety. It's a convertible, and I don't have the 22mag cylinder, but I could always go on rugerforum and pick up one.

Good luck!

I hear they're fun to fan, too... :oops:

Southern Bamboo
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

HEAD0001 wrote:
JimT wrote:

And a Hooty Hoooty Hooty Hoo to you too. I posted to try and get some good information on someone who might be able to do a little "Slickening Up" work to a pistol. And this is the best you can do?? Tom.
HMMM...THIS IS AN INTERESTING REJOINDER AFTER ALL WE'VE DONE FOR YOU. THERE IS NOT A PISTOLSMITH IN THE WORLD WHO'LL MAKE YOUR A SINGLE SIX REALLY MORE ACCUARATE THAN IT IS. NONE !!!! SOMEDAY YOU'LL LEARN YOU CANNOT BUY GUN SKILL; YOU CAN ONLY EARN IT WITH A HELL OF A LOT OF PRACTISE WITH A HELL OF A LOT OF AMMUNITION. FIVE OR SIX CASES OF 22LR AMMO WILL COST THE SAME AS A GOOD REBARREL JOB ON YOUR PISTOL AND WILL PAY MANY TIMES MORE DIVIDENDS. IF YOU GET IT REBARRELED FOR THAT MONEY YOU STILL WON'T KNOW HOW TO SHOOT IT. AND BESIDES THAT, THOSE FIVE OR SIX CASES OF AMMUNITION WILL DO A SPANG UP GOOD JOB OF SLICKING UP THE ACTION.
NOW, YOU GO BACK, SIT YORE FANNY IN A CHAIR, AND THINK ABOUT YORE BAD MANNERS IN COMING OVER HERE AND ACTING LIKE THAT.
Southern Bamboo
Levergunner

Good point - no substitute for range time.

On my '74 someone else did the hard work - it's broken in but not worn out. Don't think it ever will be.

Stainless, so it's near indestructible.

Now I need to get back out there and put some rounds down it - so *I* can learn now to shoot it better. It's minute-of-beercan right now, which is fine by me.

Southern Bamboo
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Southern Bamboo wrote:I paid $239 for a pre-billboard (early 70's) new model

I hear they're fun to fan, too... :oops:

Southern Bamboo

The first Ruger single six I bought was a 6.5 inch barreled stainless new model in 1975 when I was 17yrs old. It was brand new, and I gave $113.00 for it.

It had a star on the under neath side, and only had one cylinder from the factory. It was a good accurate gun, and helped me inflict a lot of damage on the local tin can, and rabbit population. I eventually wore it out, but I shot at least a Brick of ammo a week through it, back then.

However, it finally tore up on me, and I took it apart and could not get it back to together, so I took it to a local gunsmith that I knew, and he eventually fixed it for me, (he had to make some new pins for it), and when I got it back, he told me I shouldn't fan it very much, because it was hard on the gun. :oops:

I never told him I fanned it, but he knew. :o

I learned my lesson and I don't fan any gun I care much about, anymore. But it sure was fun, and I actually got fairly good at it, after a while, but that first Ruger never was the same. I had beaten it up so bad, that I finally sold it to a friend. Beside, I had a almost new Smith and Wesson K-22 by that time, and it was getting most of my attention at that point in my life.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Southern Bamboo
Levergunner

I 'spose we could send 'em to Bob Munden for building up for fanning, but I don't do it often either, and heck - it IS a $240 gun. :-)

However, it is cool to see peoples faces when you blast out a cylinder full at warp speed... on target too!

Southern 'Boo
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

:lol:[/quote]

And a Hooty Hoooty Hooty Hoo to you too. I posted to try and get some good information on someone who might be able to do a little "Slickening Up" work to a pistol. And this is the best you can do?? Tom.[/quote]

HMMM...THIS IS AN INTERESTING REJOINDER AFTER ALL WE'VE DONE FOR YOU. THERE IS NOT A PISTOLSMITH IN THE WORLD WHO'LL MAKE YOUR A SINGLE SIX REALLY MORE ACCUARATE THAN IT IS. NONE !!!! SOMEDAY YOU'LL LEARN YOU CANNOT BUY GUN SKILL; YOU CAN ONLY EARN IT WITH A HELL OF A LOT OF PRACTISE WITH A HELL OF A LOT OF AMMUNITION. FIVE OR SIX CASES OF 22LR AMMO WILL COST THE SAME AS A GOOD REBARREL JOB ON YOUR PISTOL AND WILL PAY MANY TIMES MORE DIVIDENDS. IF YOU GET IT REBARRELED FOR THAT MONEY YOU STILL WON'T KNOW HOW TO SHOOT IT. AND BESIDES THAT, THOSE FIVE OR SIX CASES OF AMMUNITION WILL DO A SPANG UP GOOD JOB OF SLICKING UP THE ACTION.
NOW, YOU GO BACK, SIT YORE FANNY IN A CHAIR, AND THINK ABOUT YORE BAD MANNERS IN COMING OVER HERE AND ACTING LIKE THAT.[/quote]

I really do enjoy the conversations that I have on the internet. However the only thing that I do not like is that people make assumptions without any facts. You have no idea what my revolver shooting skills are. Yet you assume that I "am trying to buy gun skill", or "someday I will learn". That assumption alone makes you a "Pinhead"-according to O'Reilly.

You have no idea how many cases of ammo. I have. Or how many different revolvers and pistols I have shot over the years(40 years of shooting). But yet you assume you know.

When I read Jim T's response to my comments I actually enjoyed his response. He held his ground firmly(which I would expect), but his remarks were not degrading. I took his remarks in the light hearted way in which they were intended, As I hope he took my remarks.

Yes I have recieved a lot of great information from the guys on this site. No doubt. But then I do not have a problem pointing out my inadequacies, and I do not mind asking for information that I do not know, or do not have access to. That is why I asked about the Single Six. I own a single six, and have owned several. My experience was that they were a great pistol, but they would never shoot with my 617 or my model 41. This is just my experience ..........

If there is not a pistolsmith that could improve the quality of a single six, then why did not you just say that without trying to put me in the gutter.

Bad manners. I apologize if I came off that way. But I am pretty sure the initial attack was on me. But that is just my opinion. Tom.
Southern Bamboo
Levergunner

The best advice you got was the first post, that stated that most Single Sixes shoot .22lr well, but .22mag great - they're chambered for both (most are convertibles) and the .22lr suffers a bit due to this fact/feature. Some Single Sixes are dedicated .22lr and shoot them very well, better than the convertible models. I know of one model that was .22lr only w/ a star on the frame.

The second best advice you got was post #4, go to rugerforum. They're ruger SA experts there.

Also, I'd check out rimfirecentral, they have a dedicated ruger forum in there.

I love my convertible Single Six, and only shoot .22lr (as I stated above I don't have the mag cylinder but may buy one soon). I don't have a problem hitting what I'm aiming at with that gun.

My advice, get one, you won't be disappointed. If you are, you can easily trade for it's value, they're VERY desirable. They don't last long, and frankly I'm surprised I found mine in the used case.

Southern 'Boo.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Southern Bamboo wrote:The best advice you got was the first post, that stated that most Single Sixes shoot .22lr well, but .22mag great - they're chambered for both (most are convertibles) and the .22lr suffers a bit due to this fact/feature. Some Single Sixes are dedicated .22lr and shoot them very well, better than the convertible models. I know of one model that was .22lr only w/ a star on the frame.

Southern 'Boo.
AS I understand it, the Single six convertible often shoots the 22lr less well because the bore/grooves and throats are reamed for the larger 22 mag.bullet, which is .001 larger. I have never measured the bullets to bear this out, but I have found that mine shoots the 22 mag. exceptionally well. I only use the 22lr cylinder on mine and it shoots just fine. I have yet to find the magic load for it but really don't feel the need....it's plenty accurate and fun. I would like to play around with Paco's accurizer someday and see what the effect is of bumping the 22lr bullets up .001 or therabouts. I also have tight chambers on mine so do know if it would load easily at that point....someday I hope to find out. Every man needs to own at least one Single Six. I've let one or two get away from me in my youth, and I won't make that mistake again.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

My current single six is a 5.5 inch barreled stainless convertible, Probably 15yrs old, I purchased it new, but I don't really remember what year. It's very accurate, but I do remember buying a used blued 4.75 inch barreled Ruger one time, that was not very accurate, I just traded it off, and got something else.

I like Ruger Single Sixes a lot, but they are what they are. Some are better then others, Ruger's quality control has varied over the years, I have owned several Rugers that needed work, right out of the box, and some that were perfect, more or less.

However, from an accuracy standpoint, they are normally pretty good. But at the same time, I used to compete in Hunter Pistol Silhouette, back in the 80's, and I never seen a man with a Ruger Single Six, shoot a score, much better then in the high 20's. I am sure it can and has been done, but I don't remember it. But I made AAA with a Smith and Wesson L Frame, and a Smith and Wesson model 41, and I think I did it, once with a fairly new Smith and Wesson K-22, but usually preferred the 41 to any other 22, even the Thompson Contenders, although they were good also, and I shot those too.

The Ruger has a longer lock time, IMHO, and for the offhand position of Hunter Pistol Silhouette, it put you at a disavantage, when trying to compete with more target type weapons. All of this doesn't take away from the Single Six, they are a great fun gun, for plinking, informal target shooting, and hunting small game, or trail use, And I like the little Bearcat also, and prefer it to the little Smith 22 kit gun.
NRA Life Member, Patron