Winchester 9410 : Opinions Wanted

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
raven5
Levergunner

Winchester 9410 : Opinions Wanted

Post by raven5 »

I remember when these came out, but they didn't interest me then.

What are your opinions on this rifle? Anyone have one? About how much do they go for now?
The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
- Samuel Adams, during Massachusetts' U.S. Constitution ratification convention, (1788)
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Winchester 9410 : Opinions Wanted

Post by J Miller »

Raven,

I remember when they came out too. And I stated my opinion of them then and got flamed for it. But my opinion has not changed one bit. I think they are a waste of raw materials.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

I bought one new a few years ago at a place called Afield. It is the Packer model with 20" bbl, dayglo front sight, and about a 3/4 length magazine. You being from Cincy you may know where it is, near Cleves. I gave a little over $500 for it at the time. I have only shot about 100 rounds thru it, so may not be much help. It is fun to throw clay birds by hand and pick them off but I have not hunted with it. It seems to group pretty well with slugs at 50 yards. The only problem I had was the crossbolt safety. Not long after I got it I pushed the safety in to the "off" position and the safety, ball bearing, and spring, disappeared! I found the crossbolt but the rest is history.
It is a very good looking shotgun, nice and light, handles well, but just seems to sit in the gun room. Hope this is of some use to you.
Later.
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I have a few different .410 shotguns now(O/U, SS, 22/410) and have previously had many more of most action types (M42 pump, M1100 auto, SxS, etc) - but a .410 levergun has, for some reason, never appealed to me.

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

One thing to keep in mind:

The 9410 is a "shotgun" NOT a "rifle". All rules that apply to shotguns apply to the 9410. Plug in the magazine tube to prevent more than 3-rounds to be loaded at any one time, etc.. Of course there are different regulations for each state BUT the Federal regulations apply across the country.

I gotta go along with Joe Miller. Pretty much a waste of raw materials.
ED
Yer never too old
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

raven5 wrote:I remember when these came out, but they didn't interest me then.

What are your opinions on this rifle? Anyone have one? About how much do they go for now?
Only shoot 2 1/2" shells, so it's not all that useful as a shotgun. Basically you're only going to be able to shoot skeet loads, which are fine for small birds at close range, but that's about it. Though with those rifle sights in the way, I don't know how effective it would be for wing shooting.

You can shoot slugs in them, but when isn't a .45 Colt or .44 Mag Model 94 going to do a better job than a .410 slug out of a 9410?

I'll agree with the other posters, 9410s are a waste of materials.

~Michael
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I never figured out why they came out with a 9410 either... never been a fan of the .410 in any format.

A 12 bore can do it all...load it up or down as suited to the games you play. Several shotguns are in my box...but the 1187 Remington will be the last to go.

I shoot a 20 guage a bit... the lighter framed gun is easier to tote upland all day. 28 guage is overlooked ... always wanted one...they seem to be ideal for skeet shooting.

I know it's as much stock fit as anything else but all the .410's I've shot kicked pretty hard considering they toss a teaspoon of shot such a short effective distance.

Hill
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
sureshot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by sureshot »

They are an expensive solution to a non-existent problem. :roll:

I see Marlin is selling their version now. Same opinion. :D

Steve
pricecw
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pricecw »

OK, I am going to go against the grain here, I have one, and really like it. Doesn't get shot a lot, bought it for a slug gun, reason, couldn't get a lever action 12 or 20ga.

Anyway, I agree the .45colt or .44mag would do better, but I have an area (the one my house is in) that for a long time had a antlerless long season, but for short range weapons only. These are defined by law as bow, muzzeloader, or shotgun. The .45 and .44 are illegal to use there, I have both the bow and muzzleloader, but wanted something with a quick followup while in a drift boat on the river. This seemed to be a good platform to do it with. Still need to work up a good slug load, but I have been happy with the accuracy I can get with factory slugs.

One thing I didn't think of using it for, but does a tremendous job on is gophers in the side field. It is not somewhere I want to use a rifle (neighbors a little close for comfort w/rifle), but this little .410 does wonders on them.

Anyway, hard to argue anything is a waste of materials if someone likes them, I know people who can't understand why I like levers and revolvers, they can't see a use for anything but a whiz-bang magnum bolt.

--Carl
sureshot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by sureshot »

Once upon a time Savage offered a .410 barrel option for their Model 99 Takedown model. You could get a 2-barrel set with a rifle barrel and a .410 barrel.
Now if Winchester or Marlin would bring back a takedown model 94 or 336 with a .410 barrel available, that would be cool!

Steve
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I'll throw my 2 cent worth in the pot as well.

Ya'll can huff and haw all you want about it's worthlessness, and talk about how a 12ga / 45colt / 44mag is better, but when doesn't a 30-30 / 30-06 / 45-70 trump all of those others in effectiveness?

That logic would make all the other calibers obsolete and worthless, correct?

Now, I own all the calibers mentioned above, plus a few more. Every one is capable of taking deer, squirrel, turkey, rabbit, etc... Even the lil' 22lr. is capable.

They may not be the most practical, but they'll definitely work, and that includes the .410 bore.

I have a 9410 Traditional, and up to about 50yds (with a proper load), I wouldn't have any problem hunting anything whitetail deer sized and smaller with it. A 100gr slug at 1800 FPS isn't something I'll be volunteering to step in front of anytime soon.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I guess if you (meaning all that do) own a 9410 you're (meaning all that do) going to tout/justify it's existence/usefulness.

It's still pretty much useless and the use of it to hunt deer borders on negligence.
ED
Yer never too old
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I liked mine until I got a trade I couldn't refuse.

It is, however, of limited "usefulness" - but is a heck of a lot of fun... especially on the skeet range when up against guys with double-guns.. :twisted:

As for using it on deer - not with the factory loadings. I worked up a 130gr slug at about 1600fps (IIRC) but I didn't have it quite where I wanted it before trading the gun.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

As I haven't owned one, I really don't have an iron in the fire, but the only gun my grandparents owned was a single bbl. .410 bore break open that saw them through the great depression and the dust bowl years, so I realize the utility of the .410. My only question is, why make it as a RIFLE? If they would have screwed on a smooth bore barrel with a bead sight and maybe a screw in choke, it would make a dandy and fun little shotgun. Just my .02 cents.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

slimster wrote:As I haven't owned one, I really don't have an iron in the fire, but the only gun my grandparents owned was a single bbl. .410 bore break open that saw them through the great depression and the dust bowl years, so I realize the utility of the .410. My only question is, why make it as a RIFLE? If they would have screwed on a smooth bore barrel with a bead sight and maybe a screw in choke, it would make a dandy and fun little shotgun. Just my .02 cents.
It's not really a rifle. It's a cylinder-bore shotgun. Some variants use screw-in chokes and include rifled chokes, but it's still just a quick handling smoothbore that's fun for bunnies, squirrels and skeet.

The sights are not really rifle sights eather, rather, they have a shallow V rear and a fiber-optic bead on the front.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Thanks for setting me straight on that O.I., I guess I had it in my head that it was just a std, 94 chambered for the .410.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

guess if you (meaning all that do) own a 9410 you're (meaning all that do) going to tout/justify it's existence/usefulness.
I really don't think the .410s usefulness has to be touted or justified, I'm pretty darn sure it's been in existence a lot longer than the 30-30, 44mag, and 45colt. And has been around just as long as the 12 guage.

the use of it to hunt deer borders on negligence.
Since that is your opinion, I'll agree you're entitled to it. Like Dirty Harry once said...
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Me on the other hand, I have no doubt whatsoever about my or the .410's capabilities for taking deer.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I almost bought one when I was researching for my first gun, but learned it would not have been very accurate compared to a rifle. I liked the idea of something that would shoot slugs or shot and be a levergun. But, accuracy out to 100 yards was important.

I did read about a guy who killed a deer with one, he was a handicapped hunter hunting from a stand. The slug looks pretty wimpy but it did the job.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

If you've set your mind on a lever action shotgun may I suggest a more practical and cost effective 12 gauge 1887 Winchester clone available for around $400.00? If they came with a 28" choke tubed barrel I'd of got one years ago.
pricecw
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pricecw »

Just don't get the not big enough comments

410 1/4oz slug is 109gr, mv 1775fps (Federal slugs)

45 cal round ball is 128gr, mv 1534fps (Triple-7 reloading manual 40gr).

Can't see either of these not performing within their limitations. I wouldn't use either of these like I do a .338 Win Mag or a .308 Marlin, but for short range (25-50yds), why would it be considered underpowered?

--Carl
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I use my 410 on grouse, ringnecks, huns,sharpetails and things trying to eat the chickens. A 410 #4 shot carries just as far and as fast as a 10 ga #4 you have to be a better shot with a 410 as fewer pellets are going down range. A few years ago a rancher about a hours north of me had to shoot a grizzly. danny

Lucky shot: Finally, when James Beeman of Fortine, Montana, heard a loud commotion in the chicken coop near his home at about 4 a.m. on October 12, he picked up a .410-gauge shotgun and investigated. He expected to find a skunk . Instead, two small bear cubs darted from the coop's damaged door, followed by a 350-pound adult female grizzly with a chicken in its mouth.

As described by the Daily Inter Lake in the article cited above, "the bear dropped the chicken and charged from 15 feet. Beeman fired, with the muzzle of the gun roughly three feet from the bear, which crumpled to the ground, dead at Beeman's feet."

The .410 is a relatively light gun, and the shell Beeman fired carried a load typically used for quail. Under most circumstances, it would hardly have fazed an angry bear. In this instance, however, the pellets struck the animal squarely in the nose, the only vulnerable part of its skull. The pellets apparently traversed the nasal cavity into the brain. Warden Ed Kelly was amazed that the single shot killed the bear, saving Beeman from serious injury or worse. "I know guys with .375s [rifles for medium to large game] who couldn't have made a kill like that," he told the Daily Inter Lake. "He's just a lucky, lucky guy."
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I'm not to much on the Winchester 9410 .

However I do have one of the Marlin 410's and I like it well enough !

But I wouldn't have purchased the Marlin if they hadn't quit making them !
I had the darned things 4 years NIB before I decided to shoot it a couple months ago for the first time !

I've shot a couple rounds of skeet with it and a I may try and kill a squirrel or two once deer seasons over here in the Old Dominion . But other then that I don't see a whole lot of use for them .

Since I have one of the recent manufacture ones on the 336 action I reckon at some point I should get my hands on one of the old ones that was made on the 1893 Marlin action :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Let me also add that shooting skeet doubles with the Marlin 410 is nowhere near as SMOOTH as shooting them with a nice old Winchester Model 42 :!:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Win9410
Levergunner

Post by Win9410 »

I have never shot my 9410 with slugs, but have used nothing else for small game hunting since I bought a Traditional with invector chokes and a tang safety from a Winchester rep in 2003. The .410 certainly has its limitations, but I can't think of a better gun with which to hunt bunnies over hounds. I own three of the guns, but only hunt with the one. It's fun on informal clay shooting as well. I was depressed when USRA stopped production of the 94 series, and was especially saddened to realize that no more 9410's will probably ever be produced. They're a fun gun to shoot, carry, and hunt with. I find myself admiring the gun many times when the dogs are on a rabbbit. Working the action on the gun when I have a shot at a scurrying rabbit is so much fun. It's way better than pulling the trigger twice on a Browning Citori or hearing the action of my 11-87 as three shells are belched from the gun.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

That was well wrote win9410 :D
If I had lots o' money I would like a 9410 as I too am a 410 fan :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I wish I had purchase the one I saw years ago but that just means I wouldn't have something I have now that I like.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

wildmanh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wildmanh »

I used to shoot a friends Single Shot .410 shot gun a lot and had tons of fun with it. Always wanted a Winchester 9410 and by the time I had the money to buy my first gun they were discontiued. :( If I ever find a good price on one, I'll probably snag it.

Heber
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

The 410 is the perfect mistletoe gun. Having one in a lever would be great.
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.