Advice for Handloading Beginner

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Advice for Handloading Beginner

Post by Bogie35 »

I want to start reloading, but I have no idea where to start.
A "How To" would be nice.
What basic (inexpensive) equipment?
I would be loading for my Marlin 336 35 Remington.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Re: Advice for Handloading Beginner

Post by WCF3030 »

Buy yourself a good reloading manual like Lee or Lyman and start reading and then ask lots of questions.
Good Luck.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

The Lyman 48th has a great primer in the front. Start with a couple of used manuals for reading material. Most all the reloading data you need is on the powder manufacturers' or the bullet makers' websites. Used manuals are cheap.

If you ask at the local shop where you buy supplies, you'll find some old gun crank that'll really dig bringing a new loader into the fold. He'll have doubles and triples of all the equipment you need to get started.

An RCBS or Lee reloading kit will get you started off with most what you need. The RCBS will be more trouble free over a lifetime of reloading.

You can get a Lee loader for $20 and load perfectly good shooting rounds, albeit very slow production.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'll just parrott what the others said about buying a manual. Doesn't matter if it's new, used, what brand, etc. Just get one before you buy any other reloading supplies! Read it, ask questions, and when you find someone close to you, get together at their home and have them walk you through the process. Then once you've done all that you'll be ready to begin making purchases.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I learned reloading on a Lee Loader 45 years ago. Using my plastic mallet and de-caping & priming by hand. My Rifle was a Savage model 24V, 222 Remington over a 20 ga. I had one of the first made.

When I started loading all Brass 16 ga. shotgun shells, I bought a used 16 ga. Lee loader. And I am still using that same plastic mallet, only now on larger brass. :wink: I was in an antique store last year and bought a 12 ga. Lee loader for $5.00. Like new in the original box with the instructions too.
They no longer make the Shotgun reloaders. Stopped when they brought out the Lee Loadall for shotgun.

If you have never loaded Brass shotgun shells before, let me tell ya it is a real hoot. I load em with smokless & plastic wads, don't ya know. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

you could start with the Lee Hand Press, and see how you like to work, and understand all the steps, before choosing a table press. The Hand Press will be handy afterwards, as well. I still use mine to flare necks, because I have to feel it going in, or I'll ruin the case mouth. Or if you want to do some prep job in front of the TV rather than in the garage, etc. Anyway the hand press is only about $20.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

A Lee Anniversary Kit has everything you will need to get started at a good price. Here's one from Cabelas: http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0003080216577a.shtml

As others have already said you will need a manual.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

As others have said, get a manual to start. When you do get started a kit is the way to go. You can't go wrong with the RCBS Rockchucker Kit. The LEE stuff albeit less expensive, is not on par with the RCBS, especially the powder measure that you'll get. Don't be afraid to ask questions, because you can read every book out there and still not know everything.
NRA Life Member
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

What Tycer said +1
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I don't know about where you all live, but the local gun shop near me deals in used equipment also. He always has dies, presses, books and whatever else you might need. Plus knowledge. You don't have to buy right away but it's great to get a hands on look while they explain details. Then you can go home and do a little Internet and ebay research for pricing and more info. Then when you see pictures you can know if it's right for you.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

El Chivo wrote:you could start with the Lee Hand Press, and see how you like to work, and understand all the steps, before choosing a table press. The Hand Press will be handy afterwards, as well. I still use mine to flare necks, because I have to feel it going in, or I'll ruin the case mouth. Or if you want to do some prep job in front of the TV rather than in the garage, etc. Anyway the hand press is only about $20.
+1 on the Lee "hand press" - it's the one that looks like a 14" long nut-cracker of sorts. It will use REGULAR dies, so even when you later get a tabletop press, you won't have wasted any money on anything you won't use.

I still use mine with a de-priming die and de-prime brass while watching TV; that's about the ONLY part of reloading you can safely do without 100% focus. Then I can tumble/clean/inspect the brass before I do anything else, vs. de-priming on a 'progressive' press, where you don't get crud out of the primer pocket before it's loaded again.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Since you're in South Carolina, you should buy a gun this weekend just because it's "no-tax-on-guns" weekend there...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

TedH wrote:As others have said, get a manual to start. When you do get started a kit is the way to go. You can't go wrong with the RCBS Rockchucker Kit. The LEE stuff albeit less expensive, is not on par with the RCBS, especially the powder measure that you'll get. Don't be afraid to ask questions, because you can read every book out there and still not know everything.
+1 on RCBS and the Rockchucker kit to get started. I don't waste my money on Lee.

But I admit I got my start on an old 20ga Lee Loader some 40 years ago!

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

As the other said get as many manuals as you can afford and read them cover to cover. Then get your self a Lee Anniversary kit. It has every thing to get you started and wont break the bank.

Oh yeah ask lots of questions of the good folk here and you will learn lots. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

What JReed said.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

All previous is good advice.
I would only add , each step learn the "why" of what you are doing.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Thank you fellas for your time and suggestions.
I will get a manual(s), then ask you lots more questions!
(However, I may go ahead and find a Lee Hand Press just for fun if it's only $20 or less.)

Sincerely,
bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Bogie,

Be aware that along with the $20 for the hand press you'll need dies with it to make it work. The dies screw in and out so you can use the same press for multiple calibers. A set of Lee dies will run you about another $20 on top of the $20 for the hand press.

A lot of times you can find a used bench press at a gunshow, a pawn shop, or even a yard sale really cheap.

Happy Trails and God Bless,
Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Mitch1352
Levergunner

Post by Mitch1352 »

I started handloading this year with an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme. The first step was buying SEVERAL loading manuals and reading them first. Then reading them again. Once I got an idea of what happens, I started. The R.C. Supreme is easy to use and the service people are great. This isn't an infomercial for RCBS, just that I know about them. I'm sure Lee, Redding and others are good, too. I also have a Dillon XL650 that, although more complicated, is easy to use as long as I pay attention. I load .44 Special and .45 Colt on the Dillon and those plus .375JDJ on the Rock Chucker. You will get a ton of satisfaction shooting ammo that you made. Best of luck.
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Bullard4075 wrote:All previous is good advice.
I would only add , each step learn the "why" of what you are doing.
I think this answer says a lot. Learning the "why" is very important. Each step in reloading can have an effect on the accuracy and SAFETY of the loaded round. Case cleaning/insprction will find defective brass. Improper priming can cause dangerous rounds (high primers). Powder charging with the proper/safe load (read the manual!). Bullet seating depth can cause pressure problems. There are more aspects of safe reloading but this gives an idea of why it is important to learn the "why" of each step.

Go slow and enjoy. Reloading is a very rewarding and fun part of shooting!
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I will advise that you do what I did over 20 years ago and buy yourself an RCBS Rockchucker Master Reloadig kit - maybe they are called Supreme now - but regardless, the one I bought then is still rocking and rolling.

It wouldn't hurt to purchase Lee's book first and read just because its an excellent guide but the RCBS kit comes with the Speer book and its good too.

And don't waste your money on the Lee hand press unless you think you might want to load at the range and test, load and test - that's what those are for IMHO. :)

Just go into this knowing that it will grow....

:)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Senior Levergunner

Re: Ask you questions at this site:

Post by 2571 »

http://www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/reload/reload.pl

When I started 30 years ago, I had no one to ask for advice. Internet is great for asking questions. I like this site best; All business, no bs or nor goofing around and no one will think our Q's dumb.

We all started somewhere. Beware, it's addicting.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You can never read enough books, or buy enough equipment (it is just plain fun) and you can never ask dumb questions. Get a good manual (or more). I'm for the RCBS Rockchucker but I'm prejudiced, I've been using mine for a heck of a long time.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Now that I'm officially a "levergunner", I've decided to take a look at reloading. I've been buying factory ammo for so long but with the way things are shaping up in the country I want to try my hand at the DIY aspect of this "hobby". My neighbor up here in Sudbury is retired from the RCMP and did much of their armory work for them in this neck of the woods. He's a plethora of information and has a basement filled with reloading equipment and material going back to the '60's. Since he no longer has his firearm collection of several hundred pieces the stuff is just sitting there (silly Canadian gun restrictions being the cause).

When I come up here I hang out at his place for hours listening to stories of when he was in the Mounties and how life in Canada was back then (I left Canada in '69 at the age of five) before guns were pretty much banned. Because nobody in this area has knowledge of firearms or an interest in them my moving up here gave him an outlet to tell the stories which I find fascinating. Although he is 20+ years my senior he's become a close friend. Sadly he has been battling cancer for several years. He's a tough man and has no quit in him... but even he knows that eventually his battle will end. I'm going to miss him.

Anyways, I'm going to tap his mind for information on reloading. It'll be a good way for his knowledge to carry on in the world.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Good advice so far from everyone. I started with the RCBS kit and went up from there.

One thing you've probably told yourself to get started in reloading is "I'll save money in the long run!".....HA..... :lol: this is a lie..!, don't believe it. Reloading is a never ending hole that sucks money from your wallet. Pretty soon you'll pick up 2 cases off the ground at the range and start justifying how to buy a firearm based on your reloading capacity..! It will happen..!
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

IMO, the Lee Anniversary kit is a good buy at any stage of reloading. I bought one AFTER I bought a Dillon 550 progressive just to do low volume things on. The Lyman reloading manual was my favorite when I first got started. Go to Lee Precisions website and they have some videos you can download that show how their products work. The first cartridge I ever relaoded was the .35 Remington when I was 14 years old. I had a Marlin 336, a Lyman Kit and a pound of 3031 powder!
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

deerwhacker444 wrote:Good advice so far from everyone. I started with the RCBS kit and went up from there.

One thing you've probably told yourself to get started in reloading is "I'll save money in the long run!".....HA..... :lol: this is a lie..!, don't believe it. Reloading is a never ending hole that sucks money from your wallet. Pretty soon you'll pick up 2 cases off the ground at the range and start justifying how to buy a firearm based on your reloading capacity..! It will happen..!
The reason I've been considering reloading has more to do with supply than saving money. Of course even the ingredients for reloading will be subject to availability should things in the nation go south and be curtailed or disrupted.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

1) Get a used single stage press. Gun stores often take them in trade, and I've found them in like-new condition for 1/2 price or less.

2) I have 2 very nice powder measures, bought the same way I got the presses. I also have a Lee Perfect Powder Measure, which throws just as accurately as my RCBS and Hornady, for something like $15 brand new.

3) Get a set of Lee collet dies for your rifle - very good dies, best bang for the buck.

4) The manual which, IMHO, has the most useful information of all, is the Lee. If I could have only one, that would be it. It will tell you what you need to know to start loading, and it contains information you will find very useful as you grow in the craft.

5) Follow the manuals strictly, triple check everything you do, and always err on the side of safety.

6) Start a fund for your reloading room - handloading is very rewarding and you likely will add to your list of calibers and equipment.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I gotta throw in a plug for the RCBS kit. Started reloading about 18 years ago with it and its still all I use. Over the years, I've needed a couple of dies modified, a few other little things like that, and their customer service is just the best. :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

I always get a kick out of folks talking down LEE equiptment, the stuff works just fine and is made right here in the good ol USA. All of the brands of reloading equipment that have been mentioned on this thread are of high quality, including LEE. Don't let anyone try and tell you that some other brand will make better or more accurate ammo. After you have been loading for a while you will find that there is no one single brand name of loading tools that makes everything just the way you like it. I use tools from LEE, Lyman and RCBS , nothing wrong with any of it. Good luck with your reloading, there are many experienced reloaders here on the forum and you should be able to get plenty of help with your questions.
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

I agree with kooz. It's funny how RCBS dies suddenly dropped in price by about 40% once Lee started making dies for presses. And you still have to buy shellholders separately...
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

What everybody else said!

The Lyman manual was the first one I ever read, and it's fine. The first press I bought was
used, and it still works fine. (Dillon Square Deal) Used equipment can be a good deal. I got
a Lyman kit that was essentially unused for about 50 cents on the dollar. Single stage press,
powder measure and so forth. Look around and you can save a few bucks.

I personally think the Lee manual is the best bang for your buck. Mr. Lee does a great job of
explaining how everything works. Their equipment is also very good value for your dollar. That
anniversary kit seems a good value. Lee dies are fine, as are RCBS.

Read a couple of manuals cover to cover so that you understand what you're doing and why.
Always, always double-check EVERYTHING - especially your powder weights. You'll have a ball,
learn lots, and save some money on ammo.

-Stretch
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Enjoy, Read and learn first. I agree that you should not wast money on cheep tools but everyone needs to find the level that is best for him/her.

Sometimes I shoot so I can reload. Other times I reload so I can shoot!! It almost becomes a hobby unto itself.
If you get into casting your own bullets the hobby takes on a whole new aspect of what hobby means. One can get so deep into this hobby you forget they actually do make ammo in factories.

Go slow,be safe and enjoy! :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I agree with what most everyone's said before... except savin' money. For some calibers that's absolutely true, but for others like the .30-30, .38Spl, 12guage, not so much; I can often find a sale price lower than my reloadin' costs - IF I want that load. I reload for the versatility I have in "rollin' my own." Plus in those cases where I do save over buyin' new ammo my savings usually go back into shooting MORE!

I consider myself an astute reloader, been doin' it for 36 years;but still maintain I'm learnin'. I've been loading for the .30-30 that entire time, yet each loading session starts by perusing my meager records and a loading manual or two. Even though I'm loading one of the same 3 bullets. If I'm going to experiment with a new ( to me) powder I spend a few hours reviewing loaing data for that powder, in my caliber, before I ever start the press setup. Even if ll I have is a different lot of my regular power, I do a new workup of my best load to ensure the formulation hasn't canged its characterisitcs. The whys of the above will be revealed in your reading.

As for equi[ment - we all have our preferences, sometimes with good reason, sometimes simple prejudice. Much like autos... they build AND different brands and models for the same reasons, tastte, features, price... etc,

Someone once said that reloading is sorts like alchemy... therefore:

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!