2nd Annual SoCal Levergunner's Family Reunion

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

2nd Annual SoCal Levergunner's Family Reunion

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hey guys, its getting time to think ahead about the next "reunion". Last year we met and some of us camped out overnight at the Angeles Shooting Range. Angeles is a good location because of the camping areas and because it has a 600 yard range which is rare. We had a pretty darn good turn out, too! :D There was good food, good camraderie and good shooting. We had a neat "show and tell" session the night before when everyone unpacked their fire arms. We had two Shootists present. One of our industrious members even made patches for the event! 8)

Last year we did it in February. I was thinking the weather might be more favorable in March this year.

With the current economy I'm not sure who would be interested so I thought I would post the question and gauge the response. Heck, at least gas is cheap again.

Please let me know if you are interested. I could do any weekend in March. Jonathan, could you still help us coordinate on this one?

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: 2nd Annual SoCal Levergunner's Family Reunion

Post by Old Savage »

Can't count on March weatherwise but sign me up. :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Wish I could be there. For those that missed it it was a great time. Cool guns great folks nice range.

Tutt what is gas out there these days? I payed a 1.60 the other day.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

$1.97 as of today! This is surreal, but great for those of us who are steadily employed. I will have to bring my "new" Enfield since you can't make it with yours. :( I will have some other new toys as well!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

1.97 :o never thought I would see gas that cheap in Ca again.

I expect a full report on that Enfield when you get it cleaned up and shooting. :)
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

You can count on the Enfield report as soon as I'm able! My best friend Tym from AZ just signed on and Jim W. (Shootist) has expressed his availability for March. With advance notice like this they can both make it. So far we have Tym, Old Savage, Jim and myself.

-Tutt

bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I can make it as well.

Jay
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I'm in.

We can only shoot at the public range (the 600 yard one) as the silhouette range has been blamed for hits on an adjacent house. The hits are all .223 or 45 acp, so it's not us, but as of right now no one can shoot there without being approved. I'm not even approved yet.

We could probably camp there again, but I'll have to check. The whole area burned in October, and there was a fatality. So I don't know about the camping rules. I'll find out.

However there are campgrounds in the Angeles not far away. I'll stop in at the Ranger's station and see. Do you guys all have your Adventure Passes?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Wow, a lot has happened there in the last year. :shock:

We were talking about only using one range next time anyhow. Last year we split the group but ended up not seeing that much of each other while shooting.

I haven't needed an adventure pass on my many trips to National Forest Lands in the Sierra's after stopping to consult with Rangers. Do we need them down there? No biggy anyhow, they are inexpensive.

Let us know what you learn about the situation there. It doesn't sound good, but perhaps by March it will be better.

-Tutt

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Just had rains here over an inch last night and before - portends for a wet year. Last year was dry and the forests are over managed by the lady ranger who thinks they are hers. Have to see what they are up to then.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I'd like to attend. Angeles is the closest rifle range to me; about a 1 1/2 hour drive from the San Pedro area! (bummer! :cry: )
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I'm leaning towards the 3rd or 4th weekend in March. It gets us further towards the outside of the rainy months and one of my friends can't make the first two weeks. But I'm open to what works for everyone. February and April are pretty much out for me.

-Tutt

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I haven't needed an adventure pass on my many trips to National Forest Lands in the Sierra's after stopping to consult with Rangers. Do we need them down there? No biggy anyhow, they are inexpensive.
The southern and central adventure passes are good anywhere in the Los Padres, Angeles, Cleveland, and San Bernadino forests, and maybe more. I'm not going to run out to the car right now to check. There are some campgrounds where they are required (the ones with toilets and trash bins). If such a campground is the best choice, we would need passes. I already have mine from last summer, and I believe we could get daily passes for just a few bucks. This would be moot if we are allowed to camp on the range property somewhere. But I think we should wait until closer to the time. Last time I got everything arranged two weeks early, and the lady at the range had forgotten all about us. She came over while we were pitching tents and asked us what we were doing. She also booked some teenagers to camp in the same spot at the same time we were supposed to have it.

Don't worry there will be someplace we can camp. I know there is a way to borrow a key to get access to certain areas if you have a group thing planned and I will look into it.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Sounds good, Chivo! Thanks for doing all this. Its a loooong drive for me now (500 miles!) but I will of course come. It certainly sounds like we have enough people for an event. Should we have any kind of contest and token reward? Might be kind of fun. I'm thinking how many hits on a 400 or 600 yard target out of 5 tries. Winner gets, er, ah, what? :lol:

-Tutt

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Ambracol or Hobie, can you add this thread to the "upcoming events" sticky? Thanks! We still have some work to do here.

-Tutt

bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

CowboyTutt wrote:Ambracol or Hobie, can you add this thread to the "upcoming events" sticky? Thanks! We still have some work to do here.

-Tutt
btt

Would like to see this posted in upcoming events as well.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Keep me in the loop on when the event will be held. I now have a deal where I can drop my wagon in Fontana and can get around easily in the area... I'll try to attend... need an excuse to do a little shootin'!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Griff, that would be great! I will keep you posted.

-Tutt

model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

If it's around the middle of march I'm out-should have listen ot the warning beware the ides of march-wife's birthday day :wink:
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

55, I'm still looking at the 3rd or 4th weekend, so you should be safe!

-Tutt

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I'll stop in there after the first of the year and talk to them.

Any interest from our San Diego neighbors?
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

El Chivo wrote: Any interest from our San Diego neighbors?
Yes, I'm watching the planning with interest. I've just been slow to speak up. Looking forward to the 2nd round with the thought I'd camp over this time. I have a feeling I missed quite a bit by only showing up on the second day.
Well done is better than well said.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Lets get a date set!

Patches took 3-4 weeks to get done and I'd like to order within a week or two
if we are doing this again.
KI6WZU
NRA member

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I re-read all the posts. It sounds like the 3rd weekend will work for everyone, so lets just do it then! :P

-Tutt

71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Oops...I hadn't seen this topic yet. I'll probably come as long as everyone in my family is healthy at the time, so count me in!
Chad
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

OK, so my calendar says March 1st is a Sunday.

I want to confirm the third (full) weekend in March is the 21st and 22nd.

Just want to make sure the date is set and everyone is in aggreement to the date.

Let me know,
Jay
KI6WZU
NRA member

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

March 21st and 22nd is the correct date. If anyone has difficulty with the date, please speak up soon!

-Tutt

m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Im in south Orange county and would like to meet up and shoot. The range you are talking about, is
it the one at the 605 and 210 at the bottom of the mountain? Would be nice too meet with some
levergunners (and others).
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Oops, I can't do it then, I'll be on my way back from Ohio. How about the 4th weekend?
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I re-read the posts again. That date would appear to work for everyone so far? If no one says otherwise we will make it the 4th weekend. -Tutt

bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I'm ready to order patches again.

Let's confirm the date: March 28 & 29
KI6WZU
NRA member

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Yup, that's what I have down. I just found out that my new AWA Lightning rifle in 45 Colt will be ready by then for sure, so I will bring it along with my Enfield "Old Savage"!

What are you guys planning on bringing? 8)

-Tutt

model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

If that is firm date wise I'll put in for it :D .Wife even agrees!
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I haven't submitted my application to the wife yet either :| I guess I'd better get it over with.

As to what I'm bringing...probably the following, however, it depends on the venue and plans, amount of space, time, etc. If we are doing a silhouette shoot again, that will make a difference.
Some 1886s
Couple 1894s
Couple of M71s
Win 1895 303
Marlin 39A
Hepburn
Rolling Block No. 1 Sporter
Chad
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I forgot I will also have my McPherson 454 Puma back as well. I will bring it.

-Tutt

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I'm planning to stop by the Ranger's Station today and ask about campgrounds and Adventure Passes. And we were thinking not to use the silhouette range, so as to keep the group together.

I'm going to stop in at the silhouette match Saturday, but I may not be a member this year. We should figure to use the public range, I will talk to the lady there and see what's up.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Ok, I talked to Paula, the range manager, it's set for Sunday the 29th, they will reserve some benches for us. She said we will get the special price again, even though we're not participating in silhouette.

As far as camping, she will talk to the boss of bosses and see what he says. The deal with the last fire was not the starting of it, but people who were at the range barely got out in time. So they may not want any camping on their property.

I also spoke to a forest ranger. There are no longer any campgrounds open nearby. They are all day picnic areas. We can camp within the forest anywhere we want, but we can't get a key to drive in. I have a spot about 2 miles away (at the Dillon Divide) that will work, but there's not much parking on the shoulders. This area can't be reserved, but there are alternates if it is taken.

I can accomodate 3-4 people at my place, sleeping bags on the floor, if the weather doesn't cooperate.

Basically, if we do it like last time, we'll meet at the restaurant, have dinner, then make plans from there.

How many people will want to camp? Are you figuring to pitch tents or just sleep out?
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

So it's now a Sunday only shoot?
KI6WZU
NRA member

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

bsaride wrote:So it's now a Sunday only shoot?

Jay, I think that's the basic idea since most people need travel time. Of course you can come up and shoot Saturday too but I'm not sure who will be there and when. On Sunday we can start when the place opens and we'll have some benches reserved.

How much ammo you got anyway?
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

El Chivo wrote:
bsaride wrote:So it's now a Sunday only shoot?

Jay, I think that's the basic idea since most people need travel time. Of course you can come up and shoot Saturday too but I'm not sure who will be there and when. On Sunday we can start when the place opens and we'll have some benches reserved.

How much ammo you got anyway?
200 rnds 30-30
2000 rnds 22LR
140 rnds Savage 22 Hi Power

Just put the inquiry out on the patches so I will change date to sunday
KI6WZU
NRA member

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I can stay at Jim's house nearby. That actually works much better for me this time. I was going to come down Friday, but will come down Saturday instead and take Monday off to return. Its a long way for me. Thanks for all the groundwork, Chivo!
-Tutt

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I'm leaving tomorrow for a two week visit back east (haven't been back in ten years) and will be gone until the reunion.

I wasn't able to get back with Paula about the camping question, and no one posted about needing to camp.

So, let's just meet at the restaurant on Saturday 6 pm and go from there. If there's somebody that needs to stay over that night just let me know, or we can work it out at the dinner.

Other than that, Sunday arrivals just report to Paula at the range office, sign in and pay the reduced rate. We'll have some benches reserved on the rifle side of the range.

See you guys then. I probably won't be logging on to the site while I'm gone, since it's supposed to be a vacation, and you guys are all getting sick of dry humor. So just show up at the restaurant and have a good time.

Remember, the champion shooters get a free bottle of Old Savage After Shave.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Just so no one is expecting them, I will not be making patches this year.
Money is tight and last year I recovered 40% of my outlay (minimum order).
I thought it would be better to buy another levergun instead so I put what
funds I could towards layaway on a Win 94 pistol gripped 44 mag. Only wish
I could pay it off before the shoot.

This is it if'n you're wonderin..
pix44203375.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KI6WZU
NRA member

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

BSA, thats fine. I was worried about that after last year. Perhaps the better way to go is to arrange payment of the patches ahead of time. It is not right that you should have to fund the patches, but perhaps a few of us could fund things so your not OUT any money. If its not too late, how much would you need to make it work? Please PM me.

-Tutt

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

It has been brought to my attention that the Orange County Gun Show is Saturday. I'll be going with Jim Williamson as he says it is the best gun show in the greater L.A. area. Lots of cool stuff and reasonable prices. We will still be there for dinner Saturday and shooting on Sunday! -Tutt

bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

CowboyTutt wrote:It has been brought to my attention that the Orange County Gun Show is Saturday. I'll be going with Jim Williamson as he says it is the best gun show in the greater L.A. area. Lots of cool stuff and reasonable prices. We will still be there for dinner Saturday and shooting on Sunday! -Tutt
I'm just up the freeway, PM if you want another tagalong.

Jay
KI6WZU
NRA member

TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

Do you have room for a Texan? I will be in the area for about 3 weeks, suffering from lack of exposure to leverguns, powder and lead.

TomF
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

TomF wrote:Do you have room for a Texan? I will be in the area for about 3 weeks, suffering from lack of exposure to leverguns, powder and lead.

TomF
Which event?

The Family Reunion or the gunshow?

Welcome to either.

I haven't gotten a reply to PM on the gunshow from the others but I could meet up with you.
I have a lunch date saturday otherwise schedule is open.
KI6WZU
NRA member

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Texans certainly welcome.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Guys, I got bad news. I just can't take the time off from work right now to make the event. We have been short-handed one school psychologist all year because one of us was out for severe depression. This wonderful old guy went ahead and retired while he was getting therapy. Unfortunatly, my district made the mistake of hiring him back as a consultant for a 4 day a week contract for the remainder of the school year about 3 weeks ago. As per my boss, he was given a small part of my work and those of my peers to do, but he only lasted about a week before he had a nervous break down. He did not really tell my boss for another few days because he felt so terrible about it. He just didn't show up for work. Consequently, the work we gave him to do was never done. Not any of it. We are further behind than before. As of yesterday, my boss assigned me to one of our middle schools to do behavior modification plans and another sort of legally required assessment called a Manifestation Determination. This is for special education children who are chronically suspended. Well, I went and met with the middle school principal and VP this afternoon, and the situation is far worse than my boss knows yet. We are already legally WAY out of compliance on not 1 but 3 cases at that school, and the legal department will not be happy. Furthermore, when these legally required steps are not taken, the kids don't get the help they need, and it hurts them too.

I was going to take a Monday or Friday off to drive the 500 miles one way for the event, but I just can't do that now in good conscious. They really need me up here right now, and every day counts.

I really wanted to win that bottle of Old Savage Aftershave, too. :cry:

I hope you guys will carry on without me. I hope you will take some pictures and report back about how it went.

I feel terrible because I know I started this event, but my conscious just won't let me take time off right now.

I'm truly sorry and very bummed.

-Tutt