Hobie...The "Pack" canoe?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Hobie...The "Pack" canoe?

Post by Coldfingers »

Left a note on the tail of one PoLiTiCaL threads but may delete that.

My question is...Are you liking it? Purchased my little "Pack" last spring. Used it all summer for fishin, and pfartin around. Did a little three day trip with it durring moose season...lined it up S.Creek figguring that IF I got lucky, I would have my work cut out for me (getting meat hung up and curing while I either made multiple trips or just went home to retrieve the 19ft Grumman.)

Sure is a treat for this ol man to get the little "Pack" on and off my truck.

It also made me look REAL hard at the gear I would take afield on any given trip :o

Anyone else got a fondness for little tippy things?
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hobie...The "Pack" canoe?

Post by rjohns94 »

I have a 16 foot Grumman Canoe. I use it for fishing in the lakes and also for bow fishing. Tell me more about your Pack Canoe. I was thinking of an inflatable kayak.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I don't have any rivers hereabouts to take it up to hunting places, to far up in the mountains. What a pity. I about wore out my copy of one of Nessmuk's books. I'd love to slide across a pond and shoot deer from the canoe. :D

I use a double-bladed paddle for horsepower in my pack canoe BUT I carry a "regular" paddle when squeezing up little places. I like it in the flood control "lakes" here about for fishing (when I get time to go). Yes, it is NICE to be able to move it about in my old age. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Hobie...yup, just how i power the little tippy thing. Have had it on class 11 water and did not get too wet (other than what came off the paddle in my frenzy!)

"There is nothing quite so much worth doing..."

Mike...depends on what you are looking for in a canoe/kayak. The inflatable will carry more of a payload. The "pack" is 12 scant feet of Royalex with a single seat midship. 33 pounds of shuttlecraft that handles much like a Kayak but an old man with torn up knees can get in it. Am past the point of being able to get out of a Kayak once I get in, especially if there is any kind of cutbank along the waters edge. Gear can be loaded anywhere and everywhere but the payload is around 550 pounds. One of the Grabner Inflatables would probably be a better hunting rig but there is just something about a hard shell that appeals to me. I have spent alot of time in canoes of one form or another over my life and the "pack" had my undivided attention for the first few trips because it felt a mite tippy. Once I got my self tuned to it I got pretty comfortable in it. I figgured to primarily use it in the river out front and in the slough for fishing grayling. Just kept using it more and more and taking longer, rougher trips in it. Certainly has made me happy. Seat needs to be lowered two inches to get optimum stability unless you have some payload in it. You also have to knock the flop out of a salmon before you bring one in or you are going to get wet!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Once you become more comfortable with it, you'll find it a pleasure to stand up in & pole it along - in proper waters, of course.

I used to do it all the time with a 13' Coleman, I was actually able to partially roll up on it's side and hold it there, while swinging into eddy's, etc.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have both stood in my Pack and cast and flipped it while paddling kneeling. All a matter of experience. All canoeists get wet. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

I plan to work up to that Pete.

It would be a help if our waters ever got over the 32.5 degree mark though!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

this topic is worth less with out pictures

linkage please
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

http://www.sacobound.com/store/?Page=18 ... ID=2001474

A pic for ya Grizz.

and a little video shot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6GZ2Cke ... re=related

To keep it on the leverguns topic, :wink: I did a little overnight trip just before freezup. Tarp camp style (used the upturned Pack with tarp over it for shelter.) Took the Marlin .357 and a bunch of bunny loads and spent two days working the sandbars and willow patches for grouse. A most excellent adventure.

A great springtime adventure is going "ratting"...when the muskrats come out for breakup, a rat canoe and .22 can keep one busy at night with the pocketknife! Areas around Northway, Minto Flats etc are laced with pothole lakes. The natives would build little willow framed canoes covered with canvas to carry from pothole to pothole hunting rats to fill out the streachers at the end of trapping season. Fur and Food in one little crack of the .22 (muskrat is sold as "Marsh Rabbit" for the rich and unawares in fine dining establishements back east)

The concept of the Pack canoe originated back east for accessing out of the way fishin holes.

I am hoping to test the limits this summer on a Gulkana trip with the local Boy Scouts. A weeklong adventure, Whitewater, portages, red and king salmon and canoe loads of Scouts. My hope is that by using the pack I can avoid the wettings that occor as a result of mixing kids and water with little tippy things

Enjoy,

Scotty
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Great Scott,

er, I mean, that's great, Scott!

Here's my 'yak project in semi-final fitup stage:

11'1" long, or as I like to tell the inquisitive, 3.3782 Meters.
25.25" beam and around 22" across the bottom in the cockpit area.
around 12" deep at the frames either end of the cockpit.

I think I'll be able to slink down and snooze when conditions warrant. After I make it floatable. Actually, I could probably slink down and snooze right now

My last one was a foot longer and a little narrower and packed me plus a deer or another adult or twelve gallons of water for the cabin. Very useful boats. I never did roll the old one over, I'll see how stable this one is. It's a complete design overhaul and all my own doing. Gonna be an interesting float test
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Very nice Grizz.

my last yak trip was a float down some backwater crick to the St. Johns river in Florida. Was in a friends homebuilt plywood Kayak. Hunting squirrels was our excuse to fritter away the day. Even got a few :o

Was great fun except when a grossly overgrown lizzard slid off the bank and under my Kayak. I could 'feel" the ridges on the gators back through the thin hull.

Nothing like slipping quitely down a crick looking for critters
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I use my 9.5' "clorox bottle" kayak to fly fish. When gas was brutally high this summer, I lashed it to the motorcycle trailer so I could fish 3 or 4 evenings a week without taking out a loan. I'd purely love to build a faithful Nessmunk reproduction. It'd be so cool to ply the same Adirondack waters he did back in the day ;)
Certified gun nut
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

adirondakjack wrote:I use my 9.5' "clorox bottle" kayak to fly fish. When gas was brutally high this summer, I lashed it to the motorcycle trailer so I could fish 3 or 4 evenings a week without taking out a loan. I'd purely love to build a faithful Nessmunk reproduction. It'd be so cool to ply the same Adirondack waters he did back in the day ;)
there's a run of dog salmon wandering by my back door for the rest of the year and I plan to attack them with trinkets as soon as the kayak is watertight. can't wait to join you in that kind of fun stuff.

yeah, a guide boat would be something, but I'd be more nervous about damaging it. these skin boats are incredibly tough.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:
adirondakjack wrote:I use my 9.5' "clorox bottle" kayak to fly fish. When gas was brutally high this summer, I lashed it to the motorcycle trailer so I could fish 3 or 4 evenings a week without taking out a loan. I'd purely love to build a faithful Nessmunk reproduction. It'd be so cool to ply the same Adirondack waters he did back in the day ;)
there's a run of dog salmon wandering by my back door for the rest of the year and I plan to attack them with trinkets as soon as the kayak is watertight. can't wait to join you in that kind of fun stuff.

yeah, a guide boat would be something, but I'd be more nervous about damaging it. these skin boats are incredibly tough.
You better offer me a ride :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

O for sure Blaine. Do you want to wait until the skin's on and it floats?

I was hoping I'd have it done when the kids get here for thanks giving, but it's not looking good 'cause I'm so slow.

Those fish ran thru Dec last year, but I don't know if you can catch the late ones on lures. Maybe. I might have some secret stuff around. No, wait, that's at the other place.
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Jack, The OT "Pack" is a slug compared to some of the pack canoes on the market...some weigh in at about 11.5 pounds and will fly like the wind. Sure a neat concept for going solo and cheap or on the spur of the moment. Better than a pair of waders for alot of the fishin I do.

Can picture you puttin down the road with the Kayak on the trailer and a flyrod slung over the shoulder.

Got rid of the big boats. Could not affort fuel, liscense, or trailer tags anymore. I use a 15hp Johnson on the back of the 19foot Grumman if I need to go upriver or haul a load of meat. The Pack fits on top or rides as an outrigger if necessary.

I refuse to let old age and finances keep me off the water.
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

A week ago Monday.

Hairy Clipper
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hairy Clipper »

Nessmuck Lives!!!

Hairy
This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok!-Mathew Quigley
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The OT Pack IS a slug compared to some but it is a quality boat. I like mine and don't get it off the porch anywhere nearly often enough. Somebody here LIVES on a lake. If I live on, or a close portage to a lake I'd be out every day it was safe that I wasn't hunting.
Sincerely,

Hobie

GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

My American Eagle 11' square stern canoe (Lil' Vandi) weighs in at 40 pounds so a tad heavy for a pack canoe but plenty light to put in pickup bed. Last time I took my visiting BIL in the local lake for Peacock Bass the canoe was a tad tippy so I designed a simple inexpensive outrigger system which attaches in a matter of seconds and make it possible to stand and cast with confidence. Can't wait to get back out on the water.
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

Here's a 13-footer I built that's stable enough to stand up in to fish or shoot.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

NICE ONE Tom
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Ganjaro...SWEET. Good thinkin on the outrigger.

Hobie...The pack IS quality and worth every penny. I can grab it in one hand, rod in the other, scurry across the street and be fishing for breakfast in a matter of minutes or load it up and do a wilderness trip with no worries about the hull taking what our rocky rivers can dish out.

I also regret every moment I missed out on once freezup hits...Winter is long and even memories fade. The Pack will be the first boat on the water at breakup for sure.
klrhunter650
Levergunner

Post by klrhunter650 »

Built this one for a hunting trip. I wasn't a levergunner yet,Image however Nemhed took a deer with his 1894 in .357
Sorry if the pics are the wrong size.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I love small boats. Thanks for sharing guys.
Sincerely,

Hobie

adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

CF, I got a lot of comments when hauling the yak behind the bike. I actually use my kid's 9.5 for that use, my 13' angler is a bit long for the bike trailer.

Homemade trailer, homemade hitch on the bike. If ya look close, the flyrod case is in the trailer, baitbucket to bring fish home in ;) The poly yak trails like it isn't even there. I made a pass around a car that had irritated me, nailed the throttle and was doing almost 90MPH when I remembered I was towing it. Like I said, like it ain't even there.

It's neat to pull the bike off on the shoulder of the road, drop the yak over the guardrails and drag it down to some otherwise-inaccessable stream that leads to a lake with zero public shoreline. (The law says if I can paddle in, it's not "private"). Boy are the mahoghany runabout "old money" folks irritated when I befoul their "exclusive" view with my clorox bottle ;)

I gave up on the gas boats when I began towing a camper to do family vacations. Ya can't tow both. Bought a couple yaks and din'tmiss the gas-burner a minute.
Last edited by adirondakjack on Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Certified gun nut
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

klrhunter650 wrote:Built this one for a hunting trip. I wasn't a levergunner yet,Image however Nemhed took a deer with his 1894 in .357
Sorry if the pics are the wrong size.
That looks like a "Glen-L" instant boat design. I did a "pirogue" back in the 80s, my second build, that looked a lot like that boat except like a kayak, it had decked and sealed fore and aft with floatation. It ran 17' at the waterline, but ya could paddle it like mad. Sold it to a guy who put a sliding seat and oarlocks on it. His daughter used it to train for rowing.
Certified gun nut
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

GANJIRO wrote:My American Eagle 11' square stern canoe (Lil' Vandi) weighs in at 40 pounds so a tad heavy for a pack canoe but plenty light to put in pickup bed. Last time I took my visiting BIL in the local lake for Peacock Bass the canoe was a tad tippy so I designed a simple inexpensive outrigger system which attaches in a matter of seconds and make it possible to stand and cast with confidence. Can't wait to get back out on the water.
Ji
that is a really neat set up!
Hope your getting better!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I removable outrigger like that would be useful on the Pack. Could you post details on construction?
It looks to me as though you use some sort of clamp on the gunwhales, use PVC (is it reinforced?) and a swim noodle. In your experience, how far out from the boat must the outrigger extend to work, how far is too far?
Sincerely,

Hobie

nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

KLRhunter's pirogue was a great "first boat" project. I think it would be in its glory being paddled solo with a double paddle. It's was a little tipsy hauling both of us and gear. I think it weighs less than 40 lbs, I'd love to see him tow it behind his motorcycle with the rest of his bowhunting gear strapped to the bike. 8) I'd like to make a decked double kayak from the same basic plans.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Posts: 902 O for sure Blaine. Do you want to wait until the skin's on and it floats?
I"m used to fishing with Bestlever, so it don't much matter...... :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Hobie wrote:I removable outrigger like that would be useful on the Pack. Could you post details on construction?
It looks to me as though you use some sort of clamp on the gunwhales, use PVC (is it reinforced?) and a swim noodle. In your experience, how far out from the boat must the outrigger extend to work, how far is too far?
Aloha Hobie, My canoe came with oarlocks from the factory so all I had to do to attach was install 2 ss carriage bolts on the iako (arm) which drops into each oarlock and tightens down with a wing nut. Yes, the iako is made from 1.25" PVC pipe which I have reinforced by inserting a 1.25" wood closet rod inside running the full length. As far as length (width) I wanted it long enough to stabilize and have clearance for paddling but not too long so that I can maneuver a hooked fish around the ama (float) without difficulty. My hull is 36" wide so I made the iako length double the hull width at 72" or 6 feet, a manageable length for stowing in pickup bed, and giving more than enough stability. Yes the ama is made from a pool noodle with PVC pipe inserted in hollow core to give rigidity and also a wood dowel inside the pipe in the straight run center section for extra strength. All ends are capped for water tightness. This is actually my second outrigger system I designed and made for this canoe the first using 2 PVC lobster pot floats placed end to end which worked great but was less hydrodynamic and less aesthetically pleasing then the pool noodle ama. If your canoe does not have oarlocks to attach the iako to another option which I used in outriggering my 17' aluminum Grumman canoe is using 2 U-bolts to attach the iako to the center brace on the hull. Hope the info helps, let me know if you have anymore questions. :wink:

Attachment of iako to oarlocks

First design PVC lobster pot float:

My outriggered aluminum Grumman (I love Wildcats & Hellcats :wink: )

Behind the fish you can see the U-Bolts holding the iako to the cross brace:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I could probably install oarlocks to use JUST for the outrigger. :wink: I'm going to have to look at it. You sure do have a handy gene though. If you'd move we could probably hook you up with a job even in this economy (which really isn't all that bad around here). Heck, I got a job in a gun shop and didn't even ask for it. Proves some businesses are hard up indeed.

On the other hand. I still want a cook bowl for Mrs. Hobie. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BruceB »

Hobie wrote:I could probably install oarlocks to use JUST for the outrigger. :wink: I'm going to have to look at it. You sure do have a handy gene though. If you'd move we could probably hook you up with a job even in this economy (which really isn't all that bad around here). Heck, I got a job in a gun shop and didn't even ask for it. Proves some businesses are hard up indeed.

On the other hand. I still want a cook bowl for Mrs. Hobie. :wink:

Hobie you can order oarlocks from Old Town.
I have a OT 160K I bought from LL Bean. Believe it or not, it was cheaper to order it from them and have shipped across the country than it was to order it locally. I took it out this past summer fishing with a Honda 2hp and commercially made outriggers.
GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Original member of Leverguns.com forum

NRA Life Member

Boy, what a mess them .45's make.

When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Grizz wrote:Great Scott,

er, I mean, that's great, Scott!

Here's my 'yak project in semi-final fitup stage:

11'1" long, or as I like to tell the inquisitive, 3.3782 Meters.
25.25" beam and around 22" across the bottom in the cockpit area.
around 12" deep at the frames either end of the cockpit.

I think I'll be able to slink down and snooze when conditions warrant. After I make it floatable. Actually, I could probably slink down and snooze right now

My last one was a foot longer and a little narrower and packed me plus a deer or another adult or twelve gallons of water for the cabin. Very useful boats. I never did roll the old one over, I'll see how stable this one is. It's a complete design overhaul and all my own doing. Gonna be an interesting float test
Grizz
Mind my askin where you got the plans for the 'yak? I'd like to build one myself someday.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I scrounged up a copy of the plans I used several hundred years ago when I built the first one. They were published in a book of boat plans. They really aren't good plans because the technology has changed enough that there's better ways to build one now.

I started with the rough dimensions from those plans and then went over the edge. I completely redesigned the whole thing, including altering the structure, to come up with something from my imagination. Then I let the wood bits decide where they wanted to go, so it's a collaboration between my imagination and some western red cedar.

I shortened up about a foot from my first mockup and that pushed the stringers out so that it's actually a mite over 26" wide, and very flat floored under the cockpit area. Keeping my fingers crossed that I've made enough good choices that the boat will be useful at least. The last one was a terrific boat, now I'm trying to guild the sows ear...

here's a page that shows the general schematic structural idea I'm working on:

http://yostwerks.com/WoodSOFFrameMenu.html

clicking through this guy's site will get you started, and some more searching will produce a ton of great plans and ideas.

here's another. I don't care for this guy, he's a commie whiney snot nose kind of guy, as near as I can tell from his site, but he has designed a beautiful kayak called F1, and published the plans. It's a different style of construction, much closer to the original Eskimo engineering.

http://www.capefalconkayak.com/f1.html

somewhere on this site are the plans for this kayak. I gotta hand it to the guy, he makes beautiful boats. click around and you'll get the details somewhere.

let me know if there's anything else I can help with.
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

Grizz, I'm mighty impressed! Is there room for Chico?

Coldfingers, neat little canoe. I have the OT guide model. I used it to put me in fly casting range of Sea-Run Cutthroat and Coho when their out by my place mostly. I use it to drop and pull my crab pots too. Plenty stable but the wind can make it tough on big water. I can muscle it around alone on shore but that OT Pack looks like it would be a lot more fun.

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Thanks Griz
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Thanks for that Whit! My dog has her own life vest as well. The handle on the back has been useful but not in the water. She's not a fan of water. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks Whit

There will be room for Chico if he can sit still and relax. It's going to be a whole training regime to get him that far. He loves the water if he can get in it. So far he hasn't experienced being on it.

Love seeing your dogs in the canoe. Love eating dungies too. I'm planning on fishing out of my kayak as soon as it floats. Lots of fiddly work left but I'm enjoying the process. I'll attach a pic in a bit.

I think I need to get a life jacket for Chico. Can your dogs wear them upland as skid plates? Or are they strictly for the water side?

Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

The vests are pretty bulky so it might impede their maneuverability for upland work. The pups don't like wearing them but I make them when we cross big water. Hobie's right about the handle, it makes pulling them out of the water onto the dock mighty handy.

The Dungies are mighty tasty. Pretty tough to beat fresh crab out on the deck in summertime - makes the wife happy and reminds me how blessed I am to live in a place with such bounty walking distance from my home.
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Sure pleasureable looking at the Leverguns Flotilla here.

Ganjaro...the outrigger class. I believe I will make one for my 19' Grumman. That ol gal is quite stable even with the 15 hp except when I get the motor lifted up while under power in skinny water. The "donkey" lift allows one to lift motor vertically while under power for getting over logs and riffles but the center of gravity gets up there (especially if one is standing at the time) and the craft is not full of gear (or 5 gal buckets of river water for ballast)

I have experemented with using the Pack as an outrigger for the Freighter. Shows great potential for bigger water/longer trips.

Dungies? mmmmmmmmmmmYummm. LIttle place here in the Interior has an all you can eat Dungie spread in the summer. Sit outside at a picinic table and let the shells fly at an old coal bucket. A favorite date with my wife.

I sure like the little canoes (and yaks when I can scrinch in one) and only drag out the Freighter if I absolutely have to. I think part of it is that I spend so much time with a 600hp Cummins growling at my feet that even the sound of an outboard is irritating to me.

The only drawback with the hardshells is the inablility to fit them in an aircraft. My next investment will probably be an inflatable canoe. Just enough payload in one to get a moose out. The bigger rafts and catarafts are more practical for that but just don't make me as happy on the journey.

There is alot to be said for being happy on the journey! The solo canoes bring me great joy.

Scotty
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

We used to "raft" two canoes, sometimes of different lengths, together to sail them (with the wind) on Lake George, NY. Easier for the 4 folks to talk while drifting along and very stable.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Here's todays update. All but two of the stringers are permanently fastened, but not all lashings are complete.

The deck ridge is there to show the volume. I will make the two deck ridges next and figure out how to attach them. Then before they are attached I will make two more frames to fit forward and aft of the cockpit main frames. They are necessary to lock in the rocker of the bottom and to tie the deck ridges to the keel to support the weight of the venison that gets to ride up there.

After that I will install the floorboards in the cockpit; then I will install the cockpit coaming. I am leaning to the steam and laminate method, winding a long thin strip of wood around a form and glueing it into a cockpit shaped beam. After all that I get to put the fabric on, heat shrink it, dope it with polyurethane to waterproof it and keep Blaine out of the drink.

And then, finally, if the bottle of champagne doesn't gouge too big a hole in it, I can shove Blaine off toward the horizon and see if it really floats.

Just kidding.

About the champagne.
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

Grizz wrote: And then, finally, if the bottle of champagne doesn't gouge too big a hole in it, I can shove Blaine off toward the horizon and see if it really floats.

Just kidding.

About the champagne.
:lol: We'll need video of that event. Preferably with sound.
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

You know Grizz, If ya put Tubby inside the frame, THEN wrapped the whole thing, he may stay drier even if he wiggled the wrong way at the wrong time...
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Grizz, what are ya using for skin? Reason I ask is I wanna build a light, waterproof shell for my motorcycle trailer so I can hauls stuff and keep it dry. Yer 'yak project gave me an idea.....
Certified gun nut
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

adirondakjack wrote:Grizz, what are ya using for skin? Reason I ask is I wanna build a light, waterproof shell for my motorcycle trailer so I can hauls stuff and keep it dry. Yer 'yak project gave me an idea.....
I misplaced the invoice so I might not have the weight exactly correct.

I got 8.5 oz polyester woven fabric from a kayak builder/supplier. It's heat shrinkable. And I will use helmsman polyurethane to coat it.

You can also use aircraft fabric and dope. I don't know if aircraft dope is compatable with this type of cloth. You can also get lighter and heavier cloth. I got a compromise between weight and durability. A search will bring lots of suppliers for aircraft and boats.

I like your trailer idea. Lots of kayaks are built with aluminum tubing for the frames. I will eventually build some that way. You would need a ftamework that will withstand the shrinking of the cloth. On kayaks it gets drum tight and it's very tough. Don't know if it has to be that tight, but it would be more aerodynamic. Hope this helps.

Grizz
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:lol:

When I was stationed in Panama, I'd / We'd take out canoes for peacock bass fishing on the canal....when the big ships would pass, less than a hundred yards away, you can imagine the ride you got.....if you stayed seated and didnt' do dumb stuff, you wouldn't even get wet, well, in the back anyway: I'd keen the front into the swells..... :twisted:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
stovepipe
Levergunner

Post by stovepipe »

I built this "canoe" from carbon fiber and kevlar material and successfully raced it 340miles down the Missouri River (this summer)from Kansas City Kan. to St. Charles Mo. (came in 3rd men`s tandem class with a time of 52hrs27mins....) She`s 27ft , weighs 70lbs and we could achieve a top speed of about 11mph in the current....we averaged 6.5mph- (distance travelled/time), but with our stops we prolly were moving around 7mph....it was quite and adventure...

we built in a rudder system that worked off of foot pedals and we had a light for going at night...

this picture was taken on the morning of day3 at aprox mile 320...we were pert-near wore out....but it was fun

"just keep on livin"