OT - Flintlock Pistols .58 Cal arrived today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Flintlock Pistols .58 Cal arrived today

Post by rjohns94 »

To close out a previous thread, I wanted to post some pics of the flintlock I picked up - this one is Harpers Ferry model, of Belgium make - .58 caliber. I made smoke tonight with it. Anyone have reference to suggest pistol loads for this caliber?

Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Flintlock Pistols .58 Cal arrived today

Post by Ben_Rumson »

From Lyman for the Harper's Ferry Pistol .562 RB 45gr FFg 415fps
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Yea, put the ball in yor hand, cover it with ffg, and then measure the powder in your hand. That should be pretty darn close.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Mike -

That's a beauty too! Probably won't get banned as fast as other guns either - though to Chuck Schumer, I'm sure that looks like an evil assault handgun! :roll:

From "The Gun Digest 'Black Powder Loading Manual'", by Sam Fadala (1982), here are the recommended loadings for a Navy Arms "Harper's Ferry 1855" .58-caliber percussion pistol (I don't think the ignition system being a flintlock will matter):

Projectile: .575" 500-grain Lyman minie (mould # 575213)

30 grains FFg; muzzle velocity 577 fps; 388 ft-lbs muzzle energy
40 grains FFg; muzzle velocity 657 fps; 503 ft-lbs muzzle energy
50 grains FFg; muzzle velocity 730 fps; 621 ft-lbs muzzle energy
60 grains FFg; muzzle velocity 802 fos; 750 ft-lbs muzzle energy

The maximum recommended loading was 60 grains, but this was also the recommended hunting load. He notes that this is a powerful pistol. He also mentioned that though the mould states it was 500-grain, the projectile weighed 525 grains. I am assuming he used pure lead, but it doesn't state if he did or not.

Post a range report when you can! :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BTW, that looks much more like a Tower pistol than a Harper's Ferry. Must be a model older than the 1855, which incorporated both a percussion firing system and a swivel-mounted ramrod. The grip angle on the 1855 is completely different as well.

Either way, I bet it is a hoot to shoot! :D
Hairy Clipper
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hairy Clipper »

Looks like Pirates to me!

Hairy
This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok!-Mathew Quigley
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Model of 1806.. I believe the originals were .54 cal
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I believe you are right
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Saltcreek
Levergunner

Post by Saltcreek »

I had one of those I purchased in 1970 as my first gun that I had bought myself (not hand me downs from Dad) I used to shoot it a lot out in the desert near 29 Palms, CA and actually got my first coyote with it. Navy Arms sold it and then they were making them 56 cal before they later standardized on 58 cal. I used up to 60 grains of FFFg and patched round ball. It was very controlable, but with only a front sight you have to see the white's of ther eyes before shooting to hit anything. Any more than 60 grains is a waste as it will blow out of the barrel before igniting. Even at 60 grs my test over paper found unburned powder. Wish I still had it, a real fun pistol! And it is very different from a Tower pistol. It is the gun that the crossed pistols on the Army MP emblem is based on.
Help your own self, the Government is to busy savin' thierselves.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

That is super COOL!!
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

I've got one, a Pedersoli I bought from Dixie Gun Works about ten years ago. I've gone as far as 50 grains of powder--FFg--over a round ball patched with a wonder-lubes pillow-ticking patch. Not as bad a kick as I'd thought; I was shooting at a 2' x 2' square of cardboard at 15 yards, and they kind of scattered around in a 8" or so group. Not bad for no rear sight !

I haven't tried mini balls, I have a bag of them left over from my 61 Springfield, but I'm not sure if the rifling will stabilise them. I'm thinking of taking it as backup during muzzleloading season, since WV only allows single-shot muzzleoading pistols.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I was thinking I would use patched round balls in this. Since YK posted the mini ball formula, may have to try them out. I too was planning on having this in my sash belt in case I need a follow up shot during muzzle-loader season or when I am playing pirate on my sailboat!!! :lol:
Mike Johnson,

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That looks like fun. :D
NRA Life Member