I've been running some ballistics tests

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

I've been running some ballistics tests

Post by Jason_W »

You guys may or may not be interested, but I've been working with some of the cartridges we all love.

http://www.carbinecountry.com/Terminal% ... stics.html

Let me know what you think, keeping in mind I'm no graphic designer.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I've been running some ballistics tests

Post by mescalero1 »

Your computer & photography skills are far superiour to mine, I would encourage you to persue this.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

mescalero1 wrote:Your computer & photography skills are far superiour to mine, I would encourage you to persue this.
Well thanks. That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me all week (I work with at risk teens :shock: ).
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

Very interesting. Thanks for posting this.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

Say...I just noticed the 158 gr. of powder might be excessive with a 158 gr. bullet!!! :o :lol:
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Rod WMG wrote:Say...I just noticed the 158 gr. of powder might be excessive with a 158 gr. bullet!!! :o :lol:
Oops :oops:

Thanks for the catch. I'm fixing it now.
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

Yep, it's gotta be corrected, but I got a good laugh out a mistake I could have made! :mrgreen:
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Very neat. How is that material to work with? Is it reusable?
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Andrew wrote:Very neat. How is that material to work with? Is it reusable?
It is reusable, but it can be a bit messy. It's basically wax that has been mixed with something to make it sticky and pliable at room temperature. I tried to duplicate the consistency, but I have no idea what additive they use. My home made backing blocks are just paraffin wax softened with petrolium jelly.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Interesting results - keep it up.

I would just say for the 30-30 it might be more applicable to use a 20" barrel with a more normal velocity for the round.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Neat info, but help me out. I didn't see the range at which these bullets impacted your test media. Where do I look to find it?

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

pharmseller wrote:Neat info, but help me out. I didn't see the range at which these bullets impacted your test media. Where do I look to find it?

P

Under the "Method" link. The range is 20 yards.

I know that's close, but scoring a peripheral on one of the blocks ruins it for the test and you have to melt, recast, and wait for it to set up again. I didn't want to pull a shot at 100 yards and have to postpone my test.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Old Savage wrote:Interesting results - keep it up.

I would just say for the 30-30 it might be more applicable to use a 20" barrel with a more normal velocity for the round.
This was the only 30-30 I had access to at the time. I'll probably run a few more .30-30 tests if I can borrow a Marlin or Winchester from someone.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Jason_W wrote:
pharmseller wrote:Neat info, but help me out. I didn't see the range at which these bullets impacted your test media. Where do I look to find it?

P

I know that's close, but scoring a peripheral on one of the blocks ruins it for the test and you have to melt, recast, and wait for it to set up again. I didn't want to pull a shot at 100 yards and have to postpone my test.
Thanks for the reply. I like the concept, but 20 yards severely limits the conclusions I can draw regarding the practical application of your test. I'd rather wait for applicable results than have results with little pertinence. I believe that all of your results (penetration, cavity width, etc.) would be dramatically affected by increasing your distance to a real-world distance, or perhaps a range of hunting distances from 80 to 125 yards. If the goal of the exercise is to create reproducible results that potentially mimic actual field conditions then it should be reflected in distance to target.
I don't mean to be harsh, but you asked for input. I like the graphics very much.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

i really enjoyed that. you have a talent and I agree, you should pursue it. thanks again
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

pharmseller wrote:
Jason_W wrote:

P

Thanks for the reply. I like the concept, but 20 yards severely limits the conclusions I can draw regarding the practical application of your test. I'd rather wait for applicable results than have results with little pertinence. I believe that all of your results (penetration, cavity width, etc.) would be dramatically affected by increasing your distance to a real-world distance, or perhaps a range of hunting distances from 80 to 125 yards. If the goal of the exercise is to create reproducible results that potentially mimic actual field conditions then it should be reflected in distance to target.
I don't mean to be harsh, but you asked for input. I like the graphics very much.

P
Thanks for the feedback. I do plan to conduct some longer range tests when I get a chance. The idea behind the tests I've already done was just to compare bullets to each other when all other factors were kept as constant as possible.

The other test I have planned is a comparison of the bullet test tubes to other media (water, wet paper, ordinance gel). the trouble is that ordinance gel is sold in bulk only and is very expensive.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Instead of longer ranges try reducing the velocity to correspond to 100 yard velocity at 20 yards.
Ricky

DWWC
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

P[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback. I do plan to conduct some longer range tests when I get a chance. The idea behind the tests I've already done was just to compare bullets to each other when all other factors were kept as constant as possible.
The other test I have planned is a comparison of the bullet test tubes to other media (water, wet paper, ordinance gel). the trouble is that ordinance gel is sold in bulk only and is very expensive.[/quote]

I understand. Keep in mind that different bullets are designed to do different things at different velocities. Comparing them all at the same distance (hence comparative velocity, or percent of MV) might prove misleading.

P

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

You need some proper .357 hunting solids in that well done study...

Would you like a couple of Buffalo Bore 180s and a couple of my Equivelent Loads?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I like what you have done so far. Very neatly done and easy to understand with the lay out you have used. As mentioned before if you want to stay @ 20 yards just reduce your loads to get the velocity you would have @ 100.
Keep up the work I look forward to seeing future tests.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Old Ironsights wrote:You need some proper .357 hunting solids in that well done study...

Would you like a couple of Buffalo Bore 180s and a couple of my Equivelent Loads?
Sure, I'd love to test some cast bullets. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get to them before the big freeze sets in.

This project actually turned out to be pretty time consuming. It's the recasting time that sets me back.
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

RKrodle wrote:Instead of longer ranges try reducing the velocity to correspond to 100 yard velocity at 20 yards.
You beat me to the answer, but I agree. Just load the velocity down to what the velocity would be at 25, 50, 75 and 100 yds. Sometimes a 16-20" carbine is carried instead of a handgun but the game is shot at handgun ranges, especially in thick timber.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Jason W,
Thank you for the link to your test results. Interesting. My opinion is that testing at 80 or 100 yards is going to be pretty much the same results with the possible exception of the 125gr. hollow point due to it's lower ballistic coefficient.

As the range increases, say 200-300 yards, penetration will be greater due to the much lower impact velocities and thus the bullet expansion will be less.

Somewhere I have a picture made by Winchester of their 170 gr. .30-30 bullets after impact at 100, 200 and 300 yards, if my memory is correct. I'll try to find it and post a pic.

Thanks again,
w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian