COOPER AMMO

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Paco
Site Owner

COOPER AMMO

Post by Paco »

COOPER GUN CO. YEARS AGO TOOK THE 22 VELO-DOG IDEA AND HAD FIOCCHI MANUFACTURE IT FOR COOPER RIFLES... DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS STILL AN OPTION AND IS THE AMMO STILL FOR SALE.....????? PACO :?: :?: :?:
PACO/OWNER
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: COOPER AMMO

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Are you referring to the 22 CCM (Cooper Centerfire Magnum)? I believe it was only available in their Model 38 along with the 17 CCM. I don't believe they make rifles in either chambering anymore but they do show up on the auction sites regularly. I was interested in a 17 CCM before the 17 HMR came along. I believe the 22 CCM is very close to the 22 WMR in physical dimensions but is not a ballon head case and obviously takes a center fire primer. I think the solid case head allows for a higher potential performance. The 22 CCM case held 15gr of water.

22 CCM info at Accurate Powder

I don't think they still sell the brass but every rifle I've seen at auction seems to also come with a pile of brass.
Last edited by Rimfire McNutjob on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

I also believe they were going to try to come out with a copy of the Remington 20 caliber rimfire but in a centerfire cartridge. I don't think it ever made. There was talk of being able to convert the many Remington rifles that are floating around in the rimfire configuration but evidently it wasn't practical. FWIW
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

According to the website, Schroeder Bullets (619-423-3523) will still take orders for the custom turned brass.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Cliff wrote:I also believe they were going to try to come out with a copy of the Remington 20 caliber rimfire but in a centerfire cartridge. I don't think it ever made. There was talk of being able to convert the many Remington rifles that are floating around in the rimfire configuration but evidently it wasn't practical. FWIW
My understand was that they DID do the 5mm. They made centerfire bolts for the Remington rifles and had brass, but, it was expensive (the brass, the bolt was about $120 at the time). I've seen cases, think I have some photos, somewhere...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Hobie wrote:My understand was that they DID do the 5mm. They made centerfire bolts for the Remington rifles and had brass, but, it was expensive (the brass, the bolt was about $120 at the time). I've seen cases, think I have some photos, somewhere...
There were two version I believe and the one by Schroeder is still being sold. I imagine the market for such an item has slipped a bit with the introduction of the new Aguila 5mm ammo. The Quality Cartridge main page shows the Schroeder Centerfire Conversion still available for $167. I had wanted one at one time, but I have a substantial pile of the original Remington factory ammo and now I'm working on another pile of the 5mm Aguila. Still, a reloadable (tunable) high-performance 5mm would be cool as all get out.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

A friend of mine has converted a 5mm Remington rimfire to a 5mm centerfire. His website is down right now or I would post the link. He bought a part that converted the rimfire bolt to a centerfire and he fireforms his own brass. I'll try to link to the site if there's an interest.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Rusty,

I think there is some interest... :wink:

I know that some Contender shooters with the 5mm Rem barrels bought the brass and dies and got around the ammo shortage that way.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Sorry Hobie,

It took me a while to verify the sight, he moved it. It is:

http://www.geocities.com/mangobob22/bobspage.htm

This is his whole page.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

This is an excellent writeup on the 5mm conversions. IT focuses on the Craig but touches on the Schroeder as well. Seems we've wandered a bit from the 22 CCM, but this is a really good read.

5mm Conversion Write-up
Paco
Site Owner

Post by Paco »

FACINATING.... THANKS GUYS..... PACO :)
PACO/OWNER
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

Not sure if Cooper gun co. is the same thing but I read that the president of the co. was asked to retire and did. Something about he was pushing to vote for Obama . I think that was on the yahoo news . A conflict for business ? :o :? Or maybe It was printed on the Bullit Point e-mail I got today .

Mutt
bwguy
Levergunner

Post by bwguy »

The 22 CCM is an interesting cartridge. I have been doing a little day dreaming about making a mini-revolver for it. The cartridge should give about 1.5 times the performance of the 22 WMR. In other words, a 60 grain bullet should have the same velocity as a 40 grain bullet. I did some "what if" playing with my QuickLoad software to reach that conclusion.