OT - Fishermen Catch A DOG A Mile Out In North Sea

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Fishermen Catch A DOG A Mile Out In North Sea

Post by don Tomás »

Mrs Brigstock said: 'Freddie is back to his normal self. I'm not surprised he survived - he's a bit of a character really...'

Don't you just love the Brits? Guess it wasn't ol' Freddie's time...
Tom

Fishermen Catch A DOG A Mile Out In North Sea

Two fishermen were left reeling in surprise when they caught a DOG a mile out at sea.

At first when they spotted the animal swimming against the tide they thought it was an otter, but when they realized that it was a dog the two lifted him on board.

Freddie, a 14-year-old cairn terrier, was later reunited with his owner - who revealed that he dislikes water so much that he hates taking a bath and avoids walking through puddles.

He had become disorientated in the fog while on a walk with owner Jean Brigstock and had slipped into the water as the 73-year-old searched frantically for him.

And instead of swimming back to shore at Amble, Northumberland, he had mistakenly struck out for the deeps of the North Sea.

Mrs Brigstock said: 'It was a beautiful day, and I was taking him on his usual walk, but all of a sudden, a heavy sea fret set in quickly, and I couldn't see Freddie anymore.

'I looked for him for hours, and others helped. There was no sign of him, but I was convinced he would eventually turn up.'
Owner Jean Brigstock cradles Freddie on Amble beach in Northumberland

Saved: Owner Jean Brigstock cradles Freddie on Amble beach in Northumberland after his narrow escape

She added: 'I was desperate. He's my companion and he's so important to me.

'I knew he hated water so I thought he'd head for the dunes rather than the sea. It really didn't enter my head that he would swim.

'He rarely goes through a puddle and has an aversion to baths.'

But Freddie was found three quarters of a mile out to sea after a long doggy paddle and was rescued by trawlermen Jimmy and Alan Thompson from Red Row, Northumberland.

A lifeboat was launched to collect the dog because their trawler was not yet due to return to shore.

By chance, Mrs Brigstock's daughter Wendy, who had taken over the search for Freddie, came across the wife of one of the fishermen, who told her they had found a dog.

Mrs Brigstock adopted Freddie as her own three years ago after his previous owner, a friend, went into a nursing home and was no longer able to look after him.

She said: 'He looked like a drowned rat when they found him.

'I'm so grateful to the two fishermen, the Coastguard and the inshore lifeboat men who took so much trouble to find him and take him to safety.'

Sea-dog Freddie, 14, is no worse for wear after his ordeal. He was taken to the vets but found to be unscathed.

Mrs Brigstock said: 'Freddie is back to his normal self. I'm not surprised he survived - he's a bit of a character really.

'The night he was rescued, he was a little bit under the weather. He was quite quiet and feeling sorry for himself. But the next morning he was ready for his breakfast.'
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT - Fishermen Catch A DOG A Mile Out In North Sea

Post by Coldfingers »

Dang Terriers anyways. I have a love/hate relationship with mine. Keeping them from self destructing is a full time job.

My little Jack (who also loaths water) will bail off the bow of the riverboat at high speed to chase a wolf or bear (or duck, beaver, leaves, whatever) I have run him over numerous times and he just cannot contain himself. Good thing I run a jet unit eh? He will swim the cold waters of Prince William Sound till hypothermia sets in catching pink Salmon like a little bear. Cries like a baby at bath time though!

Am happy for the gal and the little Cairn...dang terriers anyways...
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That's a lucky little pooch!
NRA Life Member
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Coldfingers wrote:Dang Terriers anyways...
+1 All my dogs had always been big galoots til we got Rex, pictured with my daughter below. "Rex" was short for Tyrannosaurus Rex cuz that's what he thought he was. He didn't know he was only a foot and a half tall. Cancer got him at about 4 years of age. "Toro" (Bull) another Rat Terrier replaced him. Always thought of the breed as a foo-foo kind of breed, but these guys have been great. Very protective of the property: there's not a raccoon, possum, skunk or UPS guy that can get close to the house without them raising a big ruckus...
Tom

Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Airedales - the King of terriers. Check 'em out!
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

And Freddie is a fine-looking lad. Great example to all of us; NEVER GIVE UP!

My In-laws (God rest their souls) had a Cairn named Duffy. He was a wonderful little guy who gave them many years of love.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

'He rarely goes through a puddle and has an aversion to baths.'

I used to have some coworkers like that...! :lol: :shock: :mrgreen:
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Airedailman...never saw an Airedale that did not impress me. Halbert, my male JRT, is not impressed with them though. Still convinced he can whip one even after several failures :lol:

Our female, Sassy, is quite the little coyote. Perfectly content to live on rabbits. We have a litter of 7 of the dang things at teh moment. Eyes just opened. They oughta be tearing up the house in a few weeks. Always interesting and much better than TV. They ARE characters. Hunting/killing machines one minute and clowns in a dog suit the next, playing dress up with the grandkids.

Fine looking Rat Terrier there DonT. If he had thumbs, you would have to take the keys out of the 4 wheeler to prevent him from joyriding!

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Coldfingers wrote:Airedailman...never saw an Airedale that did not impress me. Halbert, my male JRT, is not impressed with them though. Still convinced he can whip one even after several failures :lol:

Our female, Sassy, is quite the little coyote. Perfectly content to live on rabbits. We have a litter of 7 of the dang things at teh moment. Eyes just opened. They oughta be tearing up the house in a few weeks. Always interesting and much better than TV. They ARE characters. Hunting/killing machines one minute and clowns in a dog suit the next, playing dress up with the grandkids.

Fine looking Rat Terrier there DonT. If he had thumbs, you would have to take the keys out of the 4 wheeler to prevent him from joyriding!

Scotty
Wish we lived nearby. I'd take one of your pups in a heartbeat to give to my next-door neighbor, one of the finest gentlemen I've ever met. He just had his Jack Russell put to sleep
after having him as a best friend for nearly 17 years. Like the old French Canadian Airedale breeder back in Massachusettsnsaid to me when I told him Paddy was gone, "They never live as long as you want them to..."

Good Health to Freddie, God love him!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wonderful.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wow - puts true meaning to the phrase "lucky dog"! :wink:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I had a terrier years ago called spot, but he also answered to "little bas!@£D" and "pi$$ quick" :oops:
Brought the devil out ya!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

This made me think of a dog we had when I was a kid back in the UK.
He was a cocker spaniel named Rex, first time we took him to the beach he went straight into the sea and started swimming for the horizon! My old man said “that’s the last we’ll see of him!”
Well me and my younger sister just sat there all sad like and about an hour later we see this black dot in the water heading our way, sure enough it was Rex, got out the water exactly where he got in!
Rex did this every time we went to the beach, his pads got so tender from the salt water my mother made him four chamois leather tie on boots so he could walk on the sand.
Memories!!
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................