LEVERGUNS SOUTH AFRICAN SAFARI 2009

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

LEVERGUNS SOUTH AFRICAN SAFARI 2009

Post by 86er »

It is time to start planning for next years safari.

The dates are MAY 3-10th.

The cost is $305 daily rates X 7 days. That includes R/T airport transport, food, lodging, PH, game prep and trophy delivery to taxidermist or dip and pack. Daily laundry is provided.

I am happy to arrange air transportation. The roundtrip airfare from NY-JFK this year was $1568, direct flight.

I can arrange firearms import permits. You may hunt with any rifle, handgun or bow.

Up front, you commit to three animals. I suggest picking three of the least expensive if you are not sure what you'd like. This is merely a formality to insure the outfitter can predict a minimum cost/profit margin in order to keep the overall cost per hunter down. You do not have to stick to the three you chose, you may upgrade as you wish. For example: Impala $250, Warthog $250, Baboon $125. You have $625 credit upon arrival. You may apply the $625 any way you like. If you want a specific animal you should pick that one plus two others. This way a ranch is secured that will have the greatest concentration of that trophy you must have to increase your odds of getting one. So if you want a Zebra ($1000) you can also pick Impala and Baboon. Upon arrival you have $1375 credit towards animals and you will most likely get the trophy zebra you want because the best spot was picked out for hunting one. THESE PRICES ARE FOR EXAMPLE ONLY.

You do not need any shots or medical preparations to hunt this area, which is Northern Province near the Botswana border.

I suggest using your economic stimulus check to get the airfare. Use your next years tax return for additional funding. The sooner you get airfare, the lower the cost - AND you know you are committed to going.

I am happy to answer any questions, make any arrangements and take care of any details or special requests.

I hope to see you there!
Last edited by 86er on Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigBoreWhore
Levergunner

Re: LEVERGUNS SOUTH AFRICAN SAFARI 2009

Post by BigBoreWhore »

Do you have a list of game/trophy fees available?

Thanks in advance!
Overkill, When is dead not DEAD enough!
AKA- Raffica=(Full Auto or Burst)
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Baboon 125

Blesbok 380

Blesbok - White 500

Bontebok POR

Buffalo - Cape 12,000

Bushbuck - Limpopo 750

Bushpig 350

Caracal 225

Crocodile POR

Duiker - Blue POR

Duiker - Grey 300

Duiker - Red POR

Eland - Cape 2,000

Elephant POR

Gemsbok (Oryx) 1,100

Giraffe 3,500

Grysbok - Sharpe's 870

Hartebeest - Red 1,000

Impala - Southern 300

Jackal - Black Backed Free

Klipspringer 825

Kudu - Greater 1,400

Leopard POR

Lion POR

Nyala 1,950

Ostrich 300

Reedbuck - Common 800

Reedbuck - Mountain 750

Rhebuck - Grey POR

Rhino - White POR

Sable POR

Serval POR

Springbok - SA 380

Steenbok 300

Suni - Livingstone POR

Tsessebe POR

Warthog 250

Waterbuck 1,700

Wildebeest - Black 1,000

Wildebeest - Blue 900

Zebra - Burchells 1,100

All these prices are max. There are some better pricing available based on the ranch we will hunt on. Also, whatever three animals you commit to up front will be at a reduced price. Let me know what animals interest you and I can work out best pricing.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks for the headsup. Can you explain the "$2000 daily rate"? Is that in addition to the airfare and the trophy fees, or ? Are you looking at the same timeframe for next year as this? Sorry for so many questions, but... when I go to the financial officer, I better have my ducks in a row after my last fiasco. :shock:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The daily rate covers your PH, trackers, vehicle use, game skinning and salting, taxidermy transportation, laundry, R/T airport transportation, drinks, meals and any trespass fees from the ranches you hunt on. It would normally be from $350 to $385 per day but it is reduced for the leverguns hunt. Non-hunting guests on this hunt are at $250 day.

The airfare is separate and you have two choices from the US to Africa. South African Airways from DC or NY-JFK, or Delta from Atlanta. Your destination is Johannesburg, SA. The oversees flights run $1234 and up. That does not include getting to one of the departure airports from your home state. The sooner you book, the cheaper the fare.

Whatever 3 animals you choose up front will be discounted and the fee collected 30 days prior to arrival. However, once you arrive that amount is a credit and if you decide not to take those animals you can apply the credit to whatever you want.

So from TX figure:

Southwest to NY = $246 R/T
Air to SA = $1234 R/T
Daily Rate = $2000 total
Trophy fees = $625 (Impala, Warthog, Baboon)
Tips (optional) = $95 - $395 depending on service and satisfaction
Trip of a Lifetime= $4200 - $4500

FWIW - depending on the group size you will be hunting 2 X1. This year we had one on one most of the trip. We tipped approximately $50 per day per PH, $10 per day trackers and game staff, $10 per day cook and camp staff - for a total of $70 per day (5 days) per person. You tip whatever you want, but if you are inclined to do so at all, I want to to remember to budget it in so there are no surprises when the time comes.

Keep the questions coming. You can't plan to go if you don't have all the information you need.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
Chris Troskie
Levergunner

Post by Chris Troskie »

Thought I'd wet your appetites a bit and show you pictures of the GREAT trophies we got on this year's levergun hunt...

Good Hunting!

Chris Troskie

Real Hunts for Real Hunters!
http://www.ct-safaris.com
Tumbleweeds
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tumbleweeds »

This sounds like a trip to remember forever!

I've heard elsewhere that RSA doesn't allow semiauto guns into the country. If that's true, the "any rifle or handgun" thing might need to be modified a skosh.

Would it be a good idea to take a shotgun for bird hunting?
OK, OK, I made the jump.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

There are a ton of birds around, depending on what ranch you're on. You can schedule a 1/2 day of bird hunting. Otherwise, bringing a shotgun or borrowing one from the PH is a good idea. They are not set up for complicated bird hunting - just see the birds while driving around, get out and flush them. Shoot some for dinner.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Just curious, is Baboon a popular item to hunt, and what do you do with it afterwards, a Baboon rug? :wink:
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

A lifesize baboon mount is quite impressive. To the locals, they are destructive, and they can be vicious. Kinda like varmints in the US.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I would love to go but so long as I have my current job, I could never go during that time in May. Memorial day weekend yes, but not early May. Will it always be that early?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I can set you up Memorial Day weekend if you'd like.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

If Baboons are such a menace why aren't they free too shot like the Jackals are? Just thinking out loud. The Bush Pig, and Wart Hog sound like bargains, I love to pop them piggies. One day, one day. :wink:
Chris Troskie
Levergunner

Post by Chris Troskie »

GANJIRO wrote:If Baboons are such a menace why aren't they free too shot like the Jackals are? Just thinking out loud. The Bush Pig, and Wart Hog sound like bargains, I love to pop them piggies. One day, one day. :wink:
The trophy fee for baboons are for exportable animals only. Baboons that are shot as "problem animals" and not exported are hunted for free but Baboons that are exported need to be skinned (quite a job), permits need to be obtained etc. hence the reason for charging trophy fee for them.
Good Hunting!

Chris Troskie

jpj3
Levergunner

Post by jpj3 »

Hi! My first post on leverguns. Although not with the leverguns hunt, My wife and I just spent 2 weeks hunting with Chris Troskie in Limpopo and KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. I'm posting this here as I first saw Chris' web site on Paco Kelly's home page several years ago and finally made the time for the type of trip I've always wanted to do. We had a fantastic time, saw a wide variety of animals and harvested some very nice trophies, saw a lot of good country and enjoyed good food and comradarie.

Chris passionately enjoys hunting and and worked hard to organize and to provide the best experience for us in hunting and for the entire trip. He has an excellent game-eye and is a good hunter. We hunted and killed Burchells zebra, impala, waterbuck, nyala, blesbok, baboon, and blue wildebeest. We hunted and saw but didn't kill kudo, bushbuck, and gemsbok. We also saw but didn't hunt springbok, caracal, duiker, eland, red hartebeest, jackal, klipspringer, ostrich, reedbuck, warthog and near Cape Town, penguins, black wildebeest, bontebok and chetahs. The number and variety of game was amazing! Even if not hunting, seeing the game was good enough (well, almost, since I am a hunter) to make the journey.

I used a .375 H&H Model 70 Winchester but anything used for deer and elk should work well as .30-06 and .308 are popular in Africa. A Savage 99 in .358 or a Winchester 71 in .348 would be ideal for the larger game seen and for the relatively short-range shooting in thick brush if I was to return with a lever action rifle to hunt in the bushveld...

The 2 lodges we stayed in were comfortable and well maintained. Sabrisa (their home in Limpopo) is nestled under trees between hills in the bushveld and has a very picturesque "Africa as I imagined it" atmosphere. We stayed in a romantic chalet a hundred feet from their home. Emaweni was also comfortable and had wonderful views as KZN is mountainous country.

The people we met were polite and understand hospitality and service. Sabina (Chris' wife) was an excellent cook and companion for my wife (when she was not hunting with me). After each day's hunt , we enjoyed a fabulous meal then good conversation and companionship around the fire-pit with Chris and Sabina.

My non-hunting wife said up until the end of our 1st day that she could see me returning to Africa to hunt again but she wouldn't need to come back (20 hour flight from Atlanta) if I did, but by the second day, was excited to talk about when we could BOTH come back so I doubt that I'll be able to return to Africa without my wife coming along too (which is fine with me)!

We also did some tourist stuff arranged by Chris and Sabina (an African cultural village, elephant rides and 4 days in Cape Town) as well as the hunting. It was a truely wonderful trip for both of us and to hunt in Africa fulfills the dream of a lifetime! That said, we will be saving for another trip to Africa in a year or two, hopefully, to hunt buffalo with Chris in Mozambique.

My only complaint about the trip is that we couldn't stay longer and hunt more game!

If you go to Africa with a well organized, professional hunter you will have an amazing experience and memories for a lifetime. The prices for the leverguns hunt are good, and you'll be with a good PH, be well cared for and hunt in great game fields for truely beautiful trophies!

Paul Jones
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Welcome - we would certainly like to some pics of the trip.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Chris Troskie
Levergunner

Post by Chris Troskie »

Here are some of the pics taken during JPJ's hunt. More to follow...

His huge Nyala

And his impressive Blue Wildebeest
Good Hunting!

Chris Troskie

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My daughter was just now looking over my shoulder as I looked over this posting. She saw the picture of Mike with his giraffe, and said his pistol looked like a BB gun next to the giraffe. She thought the size of the giraffe next to the size of the pistol looked funny. I told her Mike's pistol shoots a bigger bullet than anything I have, and she said "So, it still looks small beside the giraffe." I hope he enjoyed the hunt.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

We've got a few hunters on this trip but have room for more. The airfares have been increasing and the exchange rate on the US $ stinks. BOOK IT NOW if you have been pondering the idea of hunting Africa. I anticipate as much as a 20% increase on airfare and possibly daily rates next year. This trip will kick off May 3rd -10th. Some hunters are taking an extra day up front to get aclimated. If you are interested I will work diligently to get you the best pricing and make it happen! Just send a PM or e-mail to discuss.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

GREAT DEAL ON AIRFARE WITH BRITISH AIRWAYS DIRECT. If you are interested and can do around $1100 R/T from the Midwest and Southwest let me know now and I'll tell you how to get in on the deal. It is valid for about 3 or 4 more weeks so don't procrastinate!
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

If coming from Texas on Southwest, how does one get from Islip to the big airports in NYC/NJ?

RSY
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

If you fly into Long Island Islip Airport I will arrange a car service to pick you up and transport you to JFK. RIght now you can fly direct to South Africa from Dallas Fort Worth Airport on British Airways - 2 round trips for $2200! That's the cheapest I've ever seen, $1100 round trip each direct. You save on the airfare but also on connecting flights, car service, etc that may otherwise be involved.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Ask Santa for airline tickets to South Africa for these dates! The airfare on British Airways from Dallas, Portland, Las Angeles and Phoenix have gone down significantly. The airfare from Delta and SAA from Atlanta and NY has remained within $100 for the past 3 months. DO IT - BOOK THE TRIP!
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

There is still time to get in on this trip. Put your tax refund to good use! There are only few levergunners on this trip. Take advantage of very low airfare (as low as $1200 R/T) and new DIRECT flights - cuts 8.5 hours off your air travel! You can make this trip with 4 animals for as little as $3300. Call, e-mail or PM to find out the best deal in South Africa!
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member